Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension / Brakes / Chassis (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Feel like brakes are going (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113742)

Brettscamaro 11-02-2010 07:04 AM

Feel like brakes are going

Im new to all of this..and especially the brembos. I feel as if I need to really push down on them to stop. At 5800 miles I noticed that the brake pedal isnt as stiff as it was and now I really need to push further down on it.What could this be?

2quick 11-02-2010 08:02 AM

pads are worn, fluid, has air in the lines. are these stock pads? brakes are nothing to mess with. If you think there is something wrong then check them out asap. thats your life in your hands.

Brettscamaro 11-02-2010 12:41 PM

How are the pads worn at 5800 miles? is that under warranty

2quick 11-02-2010 02:10 PM

could have a caliper sticking and putting slight constant pressure on the pads. That would be noticeable. how do the rotors look? Any grooves or discolorations in the rotors?

I'm not sure if that would be covered under a warranty.

RobRiot88 11-02-2010 02:13 PM

just bleed them. see if the pedal regains pressure. if not have the dealership flush them or something.

Brettscamaro 11-02-2010 10:17 PM

How would it not be covered under warranty. Its a brand new 2011 with 5800 miles? That's absurd

JDP Motorsports 11-03-2010 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brettscamaro (Post 2507071)
Im new to all of this..and especially the brembos. I feel as if I need to really push down on them to stop. At 5800 miles I noticed that the brake pedal isnt as stiff as it was and now I really need to push further down on it.What could this be?

Is it going to the floor or does it just feel a little softer? They feel pretty soft to me in general but that is interesting. Have you been hard on it, track or autocross? You can get a much better pedal feel with some stainless brake lines, they aren't very expensive either. I'd take it to the dealer, if there is a problem it will be covered under warranty.

Quote:

Originally Posted by frozenrotors (Post 2511515)
Don't quote me on this, but I've read else where that you may need to have some type of scanner hooked up while bleeding the brake system on the Camaros and Corvettes. If If recall correctly, it has something to do with de-activating the ABS to get all the air out of the system. Your problem could also be 'glazed' pads. This occurs when the pads have been subjected to extreme and severe heat, the face of the pad gets a shinny look to it on the face. Then no matter how hard you push on the brake pedal, the vehicle doesn't seem to slow down any better (or faster).
I'd try replacing the pads with a different brand and compound. I'd recommend Hawk (HPS) High Performance Street, or perhaps something from Performance Friction. Pad selection depends on how the vehicle is driven and where (such as a race track or auto crossed).

Hope that helps,

Keith
km@frozenrotors.com

The Camaro does not need to be hooked up to a machine to bleed the brakes. FYI.

JDP Motorsports 11-03-2010 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frozenrotors (Post 2512409)
And don't forget is you are trying to change fluid or bleed the ABS pump you need use a GM Tech II tool. Yep, the old tool and not the new one. There will be no Camaro listed on the Tech II. Use the Corvette bleed.

Interesting, I didn't have to use a Tech II.... I've bleed them the old fashion way and they always work awesome! Maybe I'm special! :laugh: I didn't completely drain the fluid either so that may be why, the tech II might be required if you're completely flushing the system.

Brettscamaro 11-03-2010 10:25 PM

Under warranty not for tsb but for "defective brake pads" there is a problem with one of them the service dept said and they are shocked I just noticed it. New pads will be replacing these defected ones saturday morning. That should do the trick.

JDP Motorsports 11-03-2010 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brettscamaro (Post 2513555)
Under warranty not for tsb but for "defective brake pads" there is a problem with one of them the service dept said and they are shocked I just noticed it. New pads will be replacing these defected ones saturday morning. That should do the trick.

WOW, that is interesting. :confused0068: Defective brake pads! :facepalm: You're lucky you didn't end up getting in an accident! That is crazy! I'm glad you got it figured out. :thumbsup:

2quick 11-04-2010 06:19 AM

Very glad they are taking care of you.

You only need the tech II if you completely drain the fluid. It is needed so you can turn off the abs. You can do it the old fashion way but i like to use the tech every other time i bleed.