Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Advice Please, hoping rhino will see this lol (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=277725)

rahallfly 02-17-2013 07:52 PM

Advice Please, hoping rhino will see this lol

I just put in TSP VVT2 cam and AFM delete. TSP said i should not worry about upgrading timing chain. But after reading some more on here i am getting nervous. How many have the L99 that kept same gear on cam and stock chain and is it ok?

Oil pump?? replace?? all the problems have been LS3 any L99 oil pump problems?

I kept my stock chain damper instead of puttin on the block one. good idea?

Trunion upgrade with a VVT2 needed?

Thanks guys

axis 02-17-2013 07:58 PM

You can PM Rhino as well. I'm not sure what NEEDS to be replaced but a lot of replacement parts people get are for peace of mind. I think I remember a post from him on what he feels NEEDS to be replaced. I'll look to see if I can find it.

flyer08 02-17-2013 07:59 PM

I did chain and oil pump just to be safe since was already changing stuff out

axis 02-17-2013 08:33 PM

Here are a few quotes from the threads.

Quote:

Throw the afm lifters as far as you can, go pick up some ls3 lifters, 4 ls3 trays, an ls3 valley cover, a phaser restrictor and the vvt grind of your likeing. You wont be disappointed.
Quote:

Ok. The afm lifters are weak. That has nothing to do with the vvt though. Once ls3 lifters are installed, you're set. My valve train consists of the mast ss cam, stock rockers, stock ls3 lifters, stock pushrods, comp beehives, and comps phaser limiter. Rev limit is at 7200, and I shift at 6900-7000. Durability has not been an issue and I drive my car daily. I drove it to the track too. I found 20 rwhp with just cam phaser changes on the dyno.
Quote:

Stock pushrods arent weak, they just arent the right length with many aftermarket base circle cams. I have proven, over and over all the bs myths about the oil pump, timing chain, rod bolts, pushrods are just that....myths. Are those nice compliments and upgrades, yep, are they always needed....no.

rahallfly 02-17-2013 08:54 PM

Thanks axis. I have my engine almost completely back together only thing not on is water pump and radiator. I have already replaced lifters and everything else in the package. I just didnt do oil pump, because common problems have been on LS3 Oil pumps.

Thats why i was asking about cam chain with stock gears on cam and crank and trunion upgrade. those are whats on my mind unless someone has seen a L99 oil pump stop ??

axis 02-17-2013 10:25 PM

Personally, i'd change them but I'm more of a overbuild it kind of person. It's much cheaper and easier to do it NOW, while it's already apart than to have to possibly redo it later.

VADER SS L99 02-18-2013 06:26 AM

Use the LS2 damper not the stock tensioner. Yes a C5R timing chain and trunion upgrade will be worthy additions. Just be aware even when you build stuff right using good parts and install sh!t can happen. Overbuilding with the best parts lessons the chance of this. More on that in a few days after I tear into mine a little.

litle88 02-18-2013 06:50 AM

If your spinning to 7k+ pushrods and a dual spring are a must for proper valve control. Especially on a VVT cam. Just my .2

rahallfly 02-18-2013 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by litle88 (Post 6174689)
If your spinning to 7k+ pushrods and a dual spring are a must for proper valve control. Especially on a VVT cam. Just my .2

Dual springs and new chromoly push rods were installed with this kit. Trunion upgrade is my question?

Thanks for the advice guys

Pro Stock John 02-18-2013 10:31 AM

Rhino has told me on the phone once or twice that he's not a fan of the L99 lifters, and thinks they should be changed out for a cam.

Synner 02-18-2013 10:39 AM

Oil pump in L99 is fine. Chain is fine too. Your money would be better spent on an ATI damper. I think the trunion upgrade is good for anyone running their engine hard or adding power.

litle88 02-18-2013 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rahallfly (Post 6174806)
Dual springs and new chromoly push rods were installed with this kit. Trunion upgrade is my question?

Thanks for the advice guys

If you can spare the money, why not? I'd do it.

Fast6.3 02-18-2013 01:40 PM

I have am l99 dealer just replaced oil pump 20000 miles
I have the trunnion upgrade on another build and i highly recommend it its cheap and takes a couple of hours to do it if you can i would also change lifters and ouil pump if your keeping vvt idont think you can change the sprocket

Fast6.3 02-18-2013 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by litle88 (Post 6175365)
If you can spare the money, why not? I'd do it.

+1