Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   ZL1 Insurance??? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=210826)

Deke736 03-20-2012 11:54 AM

ZL1 Insurance???

So, in order to get off the subject of the QC hold, I thought I would start a thread that might have some have some useful purpose other than venting!!! :yikes::yikes:

Has anybody had insurance quoted for the ZL1 yet? Since I got my VIN, I went ahead and had my agent start working on quotes for me and he is having a really hard time finding companies that will quote it. Most didn't have the ZL1 in their system yet (or had even heard of the car) and others straight up refused to insure a 580 HP car. I even had to send him a link to Chevy's website with the specs of the car so he could provide it to their underwriters. I have had Geico quote the car on their website, and they come out much lower than my current company (MetLife), but I don't have any experience with them. Geico is about $600 a year cheaper to insure BOTH my wife's Saturn Vue SUV and the ZL1, vs. MetLife just insuring the ZL1. My agent just keeps warning me that he doesn't think Geico is quoting the right car.

Just a few facts about me, I am a married 33 year old, with mulitple cars, and multiple houses on MetLife policies, with no accidents or claims. I live in a nice quiet suburb of St. Louis.

I also wanted to note that I am not USAA eligible.

What are you guys doing? What are guys with CTS-V's doing? Certainly not every company is refusing to insure a CTS-V, or Corvettes because of HP?

Thoughts???

mcalcote 03-20-2012 12:16 PM

I got a State Farm quote and I am looking at about $98 dollars a month.... They did not have a problem quoting it at all.
Good luck to you

b_williams_82 03-20-2012 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deke736 (Post 4674968)
So, in order to get off the subject of the QC hold, I thought I would start a thread that might have some have some useful purpose other than venting!!! :yikes::yikes:

Has anybody had insurance quoted for the ZL1 yet? Since I got my VIN, I went ahead and had my agent start working on quotes for me and he is having a really hard time finding companies that will quote it. Most didn't have the ZL1 in their system yet (or had even heard of the car) and others straight up refused to insure a 580 HP car. I even had to send him a link to Chevy's website with the specs of the car so he could provide it to their underwriters. I have had Geico quote the car on their website, and they come out much lower than my current company (MetLife), but I don't have any experience with them. Geico is about $600 a year cheaper to insure BOTH my wife's Saturn Vue SUV and the ZL1, vs. MetLife just insuring the ZL1. My agent just keeps warning me that he doesn't think Geico is quoting the right car.

Just a few facts about me, I am a married 33 year old, with mulitple cars, and multiple houses on MetLife policies, with no accidents or claims. I live in a nice quiet suburb of St. Louis.

I also wanted to note that I am not USAA eligible.

What are you guys doing? What are guys with CTS-V's doing? Certainly not every company is refusing to insure a CTS-V, or Corvettes because of HP?

Thoughts???

My wife works for an insurance company here in NM. I also ordered a ZL-1 and they too are unable to quote it as of just yet! There are a ton of factors that you should consider if switching companies! One is service! Are you going to be getting the same service? Also second, the price may or may not be better! Although on paper, yes it is cheaper, but are you getting the coverage you need? That's the big question!! Also, are you getting replacement cost with Geico? I know I will be getting this!! Although, I too believe Geico is quoting you the wrong car, (probably just to get your business) my wife had told me that they will need to compare it to the GT500. Not the CTS-V. Because the CTS-V is still considered a luxury car in the "insurance world" and the GT500 is a sports car. That would be the best one to compare it to. Hope this helps! Any questions feel free to ask. Hope it all makes since and well. Good luck with your QC hold!! I'm still at the 1100 status!! :bs:

b_williams_82 03-20-2012 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcalcote (Post 4675095)
I got a State Farm quote and I am looking at about $98 dollars a month.... They did not have a problem quoting it at all.
Good luck to you

That's an awesome number! Are you insuring it as low mileage? And I'm sure you probably have a great driving record and also plenty of discounts for that price. Where in NM did you order your ZL-1? I'm from Roswell! :thumbup:

Seraph98 03-20-2012 12:46 PM

Also got a quote from State Farm at $88 dollars a month. They were more than happy to quote it.

mcalcote 03-20-2012 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b_williams_82 (Post 4675141)
That's an awesome number! Are you insuring it as low mileage? And I'm sure you probably have a great driving record and also plenty of discounts for that price. Where in NM did you order your ZL-1? I'm from Roswell! :thumbup:

Yes low mileage I drive a work truck daily, and a clean driving record (that helps) I am in Farmington NM. I am getting the only one that Webb will be getting!!

gm_joe 03-20-2012 12:57 PM

Grundy

snapp32e 03-20-2012 12:59 PM

Here in Canada and in the province I live in insurance is government regulated. Base insurance will run you 1200 a year regardless of your driving history. You can add 3 rd party insurance to increase your coverage. For 2000 a year you get, full glass coverage, $0 deductible on everything, replacement insurance (only available for the first 3 years on new vehicles) so if your Zl1 is totaled off they buy you a brand new one of the current MY, new part replacement (in an accident, damaged parts aren't repaired, they re replaced), 2 million dollars of liability insurance, hotel and vehicle rental insurance to accommodate you if your vehicle is out of commision plus a bunch of other little extras.

01pewterz28 03-20-2012 12:59 PM

If you plan to garage your ZL1 or use it as a weekend car I would suggest using Grundy collector car insurance I have my 01 Z/28 valued at
$35k (I pay $385 a yr), and my 69 Z/28 valued at $70k (I pay $6xx a yr), and my 24ft enclosed car hauler at $8k (I pay $76 a yr) $500k liability, $0 deductible these are agreed values so if they are totaled that is what I will get from them.

mcalcote 03-20-2012 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 01pewterz28 (Post 4675386)
If you plan to garage your ZL1 or use it as a weekend car I would suggest using Grundy collector car insurance I have my 01 Z/28 valued at
$35k (I pay $385 a yr), and my 69 Z/28 valued at $70k (I pay $6xx a yr), and my 24ft enclosed car hauler at $8k (I pay $76 a yr) $500k liability, $0 deductible these are agreed values so if they are totaled that is what I will get from them.

I will check into that!! Thanks :w00t:

BigDogZL1 03-20-2012 01:16 PM

I got a quote from all state. I'm 29 and have a clean driving record. It was about 200 a month including the multi policy discount ( homeowners). Keep in mind I have the best coverage they offer with the highest amount of liability and an umbrella. Also have uncoordinated benefits . The interesting thing about this is they have it listed as a V-6. Just to make sure I had him quote an SS and it was a lot cheaper, and my 2010 duramax is around 140 a month.

Mr_Draco 03-20-2012 01:19 PM

Watch out for Geico and Progressive. They love the bait and switch routine. They will quote you real low and then 6 months down the road jack the price up. I've never seen Geico's website quote come close to what your real payment will be. Also do some research about them in your area. Around here, these two companies have the worst customer support. There are literally tens of thousands of reports in NC about Geico refusing to repair vehicles or taking excessive amount of time to process claims. A friend of mine had Geico and back when we was in college he was hit in the drivers side. It took Geico 2 YEARS to agree to repair his car and they only did that because he sued them.

As mentioned above, when price shopping make sure the coverages and the deductibles are the same. If you just call them up they will give you quotes for min coverage and max deductibles, so you're better off doing this in person. Also don't ask for quotes on the ZL1. Instead get a quote on the GT500. When new cars are released, the insurance market will always fluctuate for the first year or two most often increasing from the original quote. The GT500 has been out for awhile and thus the insurance prices have settled so this will give you a more realistic idea on what you will truly pay down the road.

BoostedX2 03-20-2012 01:30 PM

USAA $87/month, 2500 miles/year, $500 deductible full coverage...its my second vehicle, I am 52 with clean driving record..

:headbang:

DangerZL1 03-20-2012 02:11 PM

The last time I checked, collector car insurance companies generally won't insure a new car. Two of them said I had to insure one with a standard insurance company, even though it won't be driven very much. There are also numerous restrictions on this type of insurance that won't allow you to drive the car to work or even over to a friend's house and leave it in their driveway unattended. You basically have to be with the car at all times. You could take it out to dinner, but not to a store. You could however drive it to a weekend auto show. Its mainly for Sunday drivers.

I also inquired about insuring the ZL1 with Nationwide a month or so ago. The rep told me at the time that they didn't have the required data from GM to generate an accurate quote and used an SS to base it on.