Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   I don't know if I should have a Camaro (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139565)

white light 04-07-2011 10:34 AM

I don't know if I should have a Camaro

Ok so I've been a camaro fan since I was a little kid and my dad had a 1982 z/28 that we took to the track. I had a 95 camaro I call White Lightning that I sold once I found out about the concept. I since have picked up a sweet 2010 Camaro as a present to my self for making it through a police academy and through coaching in the 13th biggest city in the country. But here is my problem. I worry about this car more than I do about myself at work! Someone gave me a door ding at work that I recently paid $80 to have removed and every time I park some where I find my self making regular checks on my car to make sure no one has parked beside me and if they did if they parked enough away. People are telling me "it's just a car dude, let it go" but yesterday It was my day off and I was driving on 270 (a freeway) and as I was merging something off of a freaking semi truck came off and hit my car! I was praying that there was no dent but sure enough there is a little dent right infront of the passenger tire but right after the 3 fins, it rouined the rest of my day. This car is sweet but really stresses me out. Am I the only one like this? Or do I have a problem :iono:

DevilsReject97 04-07-2011 10:38 AM

We're all like that. Sure it's just a car....but it's YOUR car....

I check the tires and do a complete walk around of my car everyday when I leave work, and even when I go to multiple places..

RubyCamaro 04-07-2011 10:40 AM

Most of us are like that. It is an obsession, addiction...........we are a sick bunch. There is no cure. But I love it! Just enjoy the permagrin! :happyanim:

TooCool5 04-07-2011 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RubyCamaro (Post 3065655)
Most of us are like that. It is an obsession, addiction...........we are a sick bunch. There is no cure. But I love it! Just enjoy the permagrin! :happyanim:

X2 :thumbup: Wacky Permagrin!

Sevn86 04-07-2011 10:55 AM

I was like that too, until I sold it. At first after selling my car I hadn't come to my senses that it was officially gone. Once I realized I was really sad, but at the same time it brought so much peace. When I had my camaro everyone thought i was nuts for going out and checking on it all the time. I sometimes couldn't pay attention both at school and work cause I was always thing about my car. I no longer have to worry about my car and where I parked it. I can now park all the way in the front of a store without freaking out about getting a door ding. Don't get me wrong, I care about my cars but caring for a 08 jeep is a lot less stressful then caring for a camaro.

2010SLVRBULIT 04-07-2011 10:56 AM

imo, if it adds to your stress, it's not worth it. If you find joy in driving it, then it's worthwhile. You alone are left to judge.

NicksVSix 04-07-2011 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by white light (Post 3065628)
Ok so I've been a camaro fan since I was a little kid and my dad had a 1982 z/28 that we took to the track. I had a 95 camaro I call White Lightning that I sold once I found out about the concept. I since have picked up a sweet 2010 Camaro as a present to my self for making it through a police academy and through coaching in the 13th biggest city in the country. But here is my problem. I worry about this car more than I do about myself at work! Someone gave me a door ding at work that I recently paid $80 to have removed and every time I park some where I find my self making regular checks on my car to make sure no one has parked beside me and if they did if they parked enough away. People are telling me "it's just a car dude, let it go" but yesterday It was my day off and I was driving on 270 (a freeway) and as I was merging something off of a freaking semi truck came off and hit my car! I was praying that there was no dent but sure enough there is a little dent right infront of the passenger tire but right after the 3 fins, it rouined the rest of my day. This car is sweet but really stresses me out. Am I the only one like this? Or do I have a problem :iono:

I hear ya. My suggestion is to take .38 Special's relationship advice with girls and apply it your relationship with your Camaro.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9i6MwPm9axU
Great song....great advice...even for a car.

ga0358 04-07-2011 11:16 AM

Here's how I deal:
Mine's a daily driver, so I have resigned myself to the fact that there ARE gonna be dings, nicks and scratches. Twice a year, I take her to a scratch and dent place and have the dings removed, then I polish out what scratches I can and fill and sand the rest.Then I detail her. Takes a couple of days so I usually do it during my spring and fall vacations..

brandotron 04-07-2011 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ga0358 (Post 3065810)
Here's how I deal:
Mine's a daily driver, so I have resigned myself to the fact that there ARE gonna be dings, nicks and scratches. Twice a year, I take her to a scratch and dent place and have the dings removed, then I polish out what scratches I can and fill and sand the rest.Then I detail her. Takes a couple of days so I usually do it during my spring and fall vacations..

Wow, this is a pretty good routine! I might have to adopt it :thumbsup:

CC Performance 04-07-2011 11:25 AM

Some of my worst door dings have come in my own driveway.. it's going to happen.. its normal to obsess over it.. cars are more than just transportation to a lot of people...
you spend a good deal of time in your car and its YOURS.. its personal and of course you will be concerned about it... its normal... Just know that it is going to happen. I park as far away from anyone as I can and sometimes I wont take my car to an event just because I know its a nice car and there are those who are jealous and do stupid stuff to nice cars.

LoneCynic 04-07-2011 11:27 AM

Hey man, it gets a little easier with time. Places you frequent you'll find the optimal parking place and use it every time. (I prefer wider end of row spots myself.) On the highway, stay way back from semi trucks and such. Let the others race around you and slide in there. Better they be a buffer than follow a big truck to closely yourself.

By the way, I travel 270 to work every day. I think I've passed you going the other way before. Check out my picture, have you seen me out there too?
:w00t: If you ever passed close to me, I'm the guy who'll roll down the window on warm days for the thumbs up to other Camaros.

Jekyll-N-Hyde 04-07-2011 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NicksVSix (Post 3065737)
I hear ya. My suggestion is to take .38 Special's relationship advice with girls and apply it your relationship with your Camaro.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9i6MwPm9axU
Great song....great advice...even for a car.

:laugh:

SSFury 04-07-2011 11:37 AM

I wont use my windshield wipers cause it leaves that little arc across your windshield. I keep a microfiber towel and a spray bottle of water in the trunk for cleaning my window when Im parked. There's certain places I wont park, and certain places I wont go with this car. I have my own special parking spot at work, where its away from everything, and I park there every day. On April fools day, a co worker took my spot, just for the sake of taking it, to see if it would bother me. He succeeded. I had a lousy day, stressed all day long over who might park next to me, if it would get hit by rocks, etc etc..

It isn't just you. It's most all of us. No other car has ever done this to me. But no other car Ive ever owned has been as awe inspiring, and just such a joy to drive/look at. Only you can decide if its worth it. One things for certain, no one here at Camaro 5 will judge you. "My name is SS Fury, and I'm addicted. To My Car.."

Trevorw24 04-07-2011 11:42 AM

To the OP, no you are not alone. I have my Camaro as my DD, and I have to park it outside b/c I'm at college. Now imagine how I feel, I have to worry about my car 24 hours a day. When I park I only get end spaces so there can only be damage on one side. So far I only have one small scratch from someone's door. I almost lost it when I saw it. But, I have recovered only to scratch the bottom of my car on a large speed bump. The fact is the car will be messed up b/c it's the only car I have. I'm just lucky to drive it. But, don't worry I am just as bad if not worse.