Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Wind Noise. What is acceptable in a new car? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22722)

LDGn63 05-14-2009 07:57 AM

Wind Noise. What is acceptable in a new car?

This is NOT a flame… just a question.

What amount if WIND NOISE is acceptable on a NEW car?
I get a SLIGHT wind noise from both windows generally at speeds over 45.
It is SLIGHT… a whisper maybe. I don’t even notice it if the radio is on unless I hit a big gust of wind. (I'm driving with the radio off a LOT because I like to listen to the engine… it is such a sweet song.)
Its more like a leak than a real noise… just kind of annoying because my ear is about 6 inches from the window (driver side, my head aint big enough to be 6 inches from the pass side too).

Anyhoo… my wifes '04 F150 doesn’t have wind noise at all BUT it has a full window frame.

I'm just kinda wondering if I should take it in for a checkup or turn up the radio. :D

KJS 05-14-2009 08:06 AM

Test drive another one.

Might be your car. Test drive another one and see the difference.
Seems like every review I've read is especially impressed with how quiet the car is more than anything else and did not mention wind noise.

Ranger 75 05-14-2009 08:08 AM

They may need to be adjusted.

viper612 05-14-2009 08:15 AM

I get some wind noise from the drivers window from time to time.

FordDave 05-14-2009 09:33 AM

I can't comment on a Camaro, but my 2010 Mustang has *zero* wind noise at the windows up to 110km/hr (about 65mph). I would expect that same from any modern car to be honest. At higher speeds perhaps, but not at highway driving speeds.

I highly doubt its a design flaw, most likely its insulation in the window slot, or the window isn't rising tight to the top. Probably a minor adjustment is all that is required.

mickss 05-14-2009 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LDGn63 (Post 486224)
This is NOT a flame… just a question.

What amount if WIND NOISE is acceptable on a NEW car?
I get a SLIGHT wind noise from both windows generally at speeds over 45.
It is SLIGHT… a whisper maybe. I don’t even notice it if the radio is on unless I hit a big gust of wind. (I'm driving with the radio off a LOT because I like to listen to the engine… it is such a sweet song.)
Its more like a leak than a real noise… just kind of annoying because my ear is about 6 inches from the window (driver side, my head aint big enough to be 6 inches from the pass side too).

Anyhoo… my wifes '04 F150 doesn’t have wind noise at all BUT it has a full window frame.

I'm just kinda wondering if I should take it in for a checkup or turn up the radio. :D

First of all, NO NOISE!

Try this.....set your temp controls for fresh air and set fan to low speed.

levi1922 05-14-2009 10:29 AM

every review i have read comment on how execptionally quite it is. idk, my fourth gen barely has any at all. and it doesnt have the indexing windows that the fifth has

stovt001 05-14-2009 10:33 AM

Usually you hear complaints about wind noise from frameless windows, but no reviews have mentioned that so far. Perhaps your windows' auto-indexing is slightly misadjusted.

LDGn63 05-14-2009 03:00 PM

i'll have 'em checked.
thanks all!

LosXC451 05-14-2009 05:08 PM

Maybe you have a problem with window indexing?

The Dark Knight 05-14-2009 05:18 PM

I will have my windows down 90% of the time anyways...the other 10% will have blaring music in the background...I don't think I would notice.

SRFnSNO 05-14-2009 05:33 PM

Window indexing?
Is that when you open the door and the window lowers about 1/4" and after shuting the window goes up and seals? Just noticed it on a Camaro the other day at a local dealer.

PsyDoc 05-14-2009 06:07 PM

Sometimes the wind noise is not from the window itself, but from the wind blowing over the side mirror and between the window/side mirror channel. You could try pressing on the weather stripping as your driving to see if the wind noise goes away. If so, then it's likely the door or window that needs adjusting.