Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   USA - California (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   CA Window Tint-What's the Real Story (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=303276)

J-Short 06-21-2013 06:51 PM

CA Window Tint-What's the Real Story

I've seen, read and heard a lot of different theories about tinting your windows in California. Consensus is you can't, but I see plenty of Camaro/Mustang/Charger/Challenger drivers with tint.

Does anyone know the real answer? I want to get my windows tinted, yet I'm not trying to be buried in fix it tickets either. The Sac PD specializes in automotive and traffic violations. lol

SPCBA 06-21-2013 06:52 PM

try the california section. they definatly dont have this info

Mindz 06-21-2013 07:00 PM

No tint is legal in California, even 100% clear, UNLESS IT COMES FROM THE FACTORY LIKE THAT. CHP and police normally don't hassle you if you don't go too dark. All tint is technically illegal.
I have lived in the Sac/Folsom/EDH area for 2 years. no tickets yet for window tint or front plate *knocks on wood*

pannhead51 06-21-2013 07:04 PM

I'm also here in the Sac area and confirm what Mindz said ...just don't push it past 35%.

StormtrooperJun 06-21-2013 07:06 PM

This was taken off the CHP - FAQ page. Hope it helps answer your question.

Can I put after-market tinting on the windows of my vehicle?
The main requirements for legal window tinting in California are:

The windshield and front driver's side and passenger's side windows cannot receive any aftermarket tinting.
If the rear window of a vehicle is tinted, the vehicle must have outside rearview mirrors on both sides.
The law prohibits any person from driving any motor vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied upon the windshield or side or rear windows, with certain limited exceptions.

However, legislation signed into law effective January 1, 1999, exempts from the above prohibition specified clear, colorless, and transparent material that is installed, affixed, or applied to the front driver and passenger side windows for the specific purpose of reducing ultraviolet rays. If, as, or when this material becomes torn, bubbled or otherwise worn, it must be removed or replaced

SPCBA 06-21-2013 07:11 PM

back 3 windows are tintable. front three arent. i have all tinted tho soooooo

push it and they will get ya!

Mindz 06-21-2013 07:15 PM

I have 5% on the back (limo tint) and 20% all around. Haven't been pulled over since moving up here, although I am prepared for the ticket if I do ever get one.

upflying 06-21-2013 07:55 PM

Tint enforcement goes up if LEO's are looking for texters and cell phone users.

2010SSRSM6 06-21-2013 08:17 PM

CHP is now making tint tickets NON-correctible citations. I just contributed $197 for the citation, $35 court fee and a $5.80 fee for paying with my debit card to the states general fund.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheGhosty 06-21-2013 08:24 PM

Sacramento is very chill. Just take it easy and don't push it. The only people I know who have gotten tint tickets are people who were pulled over for something else. The cop will either cut you a break on your speeding ticket and write you for tints/licence plate or if your being a d!ck he will tack it on your speeding ticket. 35% is a good number.

CHMSC 06-21-2013 08:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This

2012-1822 06-22-2013 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Short (Post 6699262)
Does anyone know the real answer?

Don't live there

dixonk 06-22-2013 12:29 AM

I got pulled over in Elk Grove for mine 35% all around. Fix it ticket but a pain in the ass to remove. Took it to Genesis and put Clear on the fronts and changed the rear 3 to 5%. I feel it made the car appear darker tinted and much darker on the inside. Also did a visor strip of 5% above the A1C line on the windshield which is legal.

And no I didn't get pulled over for anything else. Simply a motorbike cop saw me as I passed him at the Bruceville Rd. and Elk Grove Blvd. intersection.

J-Short 06-22-2013 02:00 AM

Should have know. Everything is illegal in California