Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=136)
-   -   Z/28 options.... (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=287100)

WongBob 04-04-2013 05:39 AM

Z/28 options....

I wonder of there is a snowballs chance in Saudi that the brakes and suspension are options for the Z/28. I am a drag racer. No road courses near me other than a few small SCCA Auto-X events a year. I should be picking up my second 5th gen today. First was a 2SS/RS, this one is a 2SS/RS 1LE. I told my wife in December that of GM released an LS7 Camaro that could be packaged with the 1LE, I would order one. When the Z/28 was announced I told the dealership to order one as soon as they were able to do so. However, now I am having big time second thoughts.

The first thing is the suspension. It is 110% road course oriented. No question about it. For my intended use of the car that would have to be removed for something oriented for the drag strip. My second issue is the brakes. These will have to be replaced with something to allow for a drag pack.

That said, here is where I am. If I buy the car and remove the suspension and brakes I will have just thrown 15-20k out the window. Not a very feasible option when buying a car. It wouldn't make any sense. Minus those options, the Z/28 was the street legal COPO I had been dreaming about. With those options, the car is a monumental waste of money for me. That makes me very sad. Lol

What are your opinions/suggestions? We all know how capable the LS7 is on the track and how well it responds to mods. One could easily build a street able, solid 10 second NA 5th gen using the LS7. Brakes and suspension would be the limiting factors though.

AdamZ 04-04-2013 05:44 AM

Might at well skip the Z/28 and throw an LS7 in your SS. Then sell the LS3.

WongBob 04-04-2013 05:51 AM

I have actually considered this as an option. If I can't order a Z/28 the way I want, I will more than likely go that route. I don't want to have to go that route.

Come on.... How sick would it be to have a Z/28 and a 1LE as garage buddies? :D

AdamZ 04-04-2013 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WongBob (Post 6380170)
I have actually considered this as an option. If I can't order a Z/28 the way I want, I will more than likely go that route. I don't want to have to go that route.

Come on.... How sick would it be to have a Z/28 and a 1LE as garage buddies? :D

Not as good as a ZL1 and Z/28 :D :smiling1:

Could call them the Twin Z's :cool:

zackex 04-04-2013 06:01 AM

I veiw Camaros line of cars as sort of a luxury sports car. I don't know how you get a 2 ton drag car from it that seems like a huge waste of money. Put this car next to european cars and for even 60 K not much can touch it, Audi, BMW, Mercedes,. The Camaro for me is finally Americas world class car. For you why don't you weld a set of rails together and go play.

WongBob 04-04-2013 06:35 AM

Eh, with enough motor you can pull anything down the track. I'd rather have a nice car that can still play on the street than a rail.

The Z/28 could easily be the best of both worlds. Two packages: big brake/wheel/high end road course suspension, or small brake/wheel/drag strip oriented suspension. They could keep both in the same price range but have different setups. I know this wouldn't happen in a million years but it could be easily done. I can't see that taking away from what they are trying to accomplish with the Z/28.

zackex 04-04-2013 07:00 AM

Your preaching to the choir, I love this car. I have recently been romping around the back roads of New England with it. This is a world class car balance, power, brakes, comfort, and a sound that inspires every time I grab another gear. Again for me it's a pair of driving shoes and some twisting back roads.