Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Member Car Journals (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   2013 VR 1LE Livernois Build - "Scorpion" [COTW 2/17/14] (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=323822)

elarson5757 10-18-2013 03:44 PM

2013 VR 1LE Livernois Build - "Scorpion" [COTW 2/17/14]

1 Attachment(s)
Hey everyone!

Thought I would get started on my build journal. I am starting with a Victory Red 1LE (2SS) I purchased on June 1, 2013. I've had to slightly delay my build out of a promise to my wife I would at least wait until the first of the year.

I've built many cars and a custom Jeep was my last project from 2012/13. I have started few changes with her blessing and I will document those over the next few days to catch up!

In the mean time here was the very first pic the day I took delivery.

elarson5757 10-18-2013 03:46 PM

Mod List

Held for a complete list of the car's modifications.

Exterior
Rear Bumper Blackout in Gloss Black
Front Bumper Grill/Headlight Surrounding in Gloss Black
Front Bottom Grill Surround in Gloss Black
Gary's Customs Dual Vented Fenders with Drivers Side Gloss Black Hash Marks Painted on
Tinted Windows
Custom License Plate
Heritage Grill in Gloss Black
ZL-1 Rocker Panels (Victory Red/Matte Black)
ZL-1 Splash Guards
ACS Rear Decklid Liner in Carbon Fiber w/LED's
CFD Strut Tower Covers in Flat Black
MPD1 COPO Hood in Gloss Black with Painted Drivers Side Hash Marks
Anvil Carbon Fiber Spoiler
VDI Verticle Doors
ACS Rear Quarter Functional Ports
Custom Oracle Bi-Xenon Headlights in Matte Black with ColorShift Halos
ACS T3/S Ports in Matte Black with Eagle LEDs as DRL's

Interior
AEM Boost/AFR Gauges in A-Piller Pod
Custom Red Gauge Faces
ZL Dash Inserts
Painted interior trim incl. door panel inserts, speedo bezel, dash trim, full console, and seat sides all in Black/Victory Red

Chassis/Drivetrain
Hurst Roll Control
BMR Trailing Arms w/bushings
DSS 1000HP Axles
BMR Toe Rods w/bushings
BMR Outer Control Arm Bushings
BMR Solid Subframe Bushings
Slotted and Drilled Rotors
Stainless Brake Lines
Hawk Race Pads
Motul 600 Fluid

Engine/Mechanical
2.9L Whipple Supercharger (polished) with 4" Pulley @ 9PSI
RotoFab Cold Air Intake
Livernois Stage 2 CNC Heads (upgraded head bolts and other related improvements)
Stage 2C-Hi Lift Livernois Custom Grind Cam
Livernois Dual Fuel Pump Setup
Kooks Long Tube Headers with Hi Flow Cats
Corsa Exhaust
MSD Plug Wires
McLeod RXT Twin Disk Clutch with Aluminum Flywheel
NGK Plugs
3 BAR MAP
160 Thermostat
Elite Catch Can
JDP Clutch Res Seperator

Engine Dress
Custom "Livernois Built" Fuse Panel Cover
RotoFab Engine Covers in Victory Red
Showstopper Accessories Covers in Victory Red
Polished Billet Fluid Caps

elarson5757 10-18-2013 03:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
As of today my build had simply been cosmetic. So far I have completed:

Tinted Windows
ZL1 Rockers (top body color matched)
Nite Shades NS-1 Graphics
Blacked out front quarter CAMARO badging and added the SS
Blacked out front/rear bow ties
Removed SS from front grill
Emblem Pros 1LE hood badges
Emblem Pros 1LE trunk badge

Here it is today!! If someone would like a closer pic of something or feedback on a product as I go feel free to ask!

Camaro_Corvette 10-18-2013 03:59 PM

Looks great:thumb: I need to get cracking on some mods. :D

elarson5757 10-18-2013 04:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My new personalized license plate. :thumbup:

Forgot to note that I also painted the taillight surrounds as you can see in this pic!

Sky 10-18-2013 06:47 PM

I like your choice in going with stripes instead of the blacked out hood. Looks very nice! Also the rockers are a great touch. I'm gonna be honest I haven't looked at the LE much, does it come stock with a CAI? If not I do say that gets my vote for next mod :D.

elarson5757 10-18-2013 07:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok just a couple more for catch up sake!

I added the Hurst roll control mounting the power and activation switches in easy reach. Also installed the ZL-1 splash guards.

elarson5757 10-18-2013 07:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Lastly before I move on to this winters engine build up I got an Elite catch can, CAI, and a body match fuse box cover done.

elarson5757 10-18-2013 07:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
CAI

elarson5757 10-18-2013 07:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Catch Can

45TH RS 10-19-2013 11:09 AM

Nice job ... looks great!

elarson5757 10-19-2013 08:55 PM

OK..time to lay out the winter engine build up!! I have been working with Andy Ricketts over at Livernois in Metro Detroit. Frankly they are the ONLY company in Michigan I want doing this. They have an amazing reputation, unbelievable shop, and have hundreds, maybe thousands of cars under their belt.

Andy if you see this feel free to weigh in!!

Here is the plan. Clearly it will include before/after dyno testing and as many pics and videos as I can talk Andy and his team into taking! My intentions is to have them pick it up for these upgrades after the first of the year as the car will be stored anyway.

-Whipple 2.9 Supercharger
-RotoFab intake (have CAI now but Andy is suggesting better flow at these HP with RotoFab)
-Kooks Long Tube Headers w/Hi Flow Cats
-Corsa Exhaust
-Livernois 2C Hi Lift Blower Cam
-Livernois Stage 2 Heads
-McLeod RTX Twin Disk Clutch/Aluminum Flywheel
-Livernois Dual Fuel Pump Setup
-MSD Plug Wires
-NGK TR6 Plugs
-ARP Cam Bolts
-7.425" 5/16" Pushrods
-ARP Head Bolts
-LS9 Head Gasket
-ARP Flywheel bolts
-BMR Trailing Arms
-DSS 1000HP Axles
-Boost and AFR Gauges with A-Pillar Mount

Andy is expecting between 680-700HP to the rear wheels....should be a BEAST!!! In their opinion this is a safe and reliable combination all be it the top end of the range on the stock bottom end. If I get bored with this after time a forged bottom end from Livernois will be the next step along with bumping up the boost.

The wait for spring will kill me.... More to follow after the first of the year....

:w00t:

elarson5757 10-28-2013 08:45 PM

Well based on recommendations from Livernois I have removed and sold the CAI intake temporarily putting it back to stock until the engine build. Their suggestion was based on what I was having done and the power I would be pushing I should go with a Roto-Fab unit.

The car itself has now been stored for winter so for the most part this thread will be pretty inactive until it comes out after the first of the year to go to Livernois.

The other major change was I just sold my Jeep. This move will free up future funds as well as smooth out my daily commute!

PYROLYSIS 10-28-2013 09:09 PM

Sweet build you've got going here, definitely jealous. Subscribed.

SSTG 10-29-2013 08:17 AM

Car looks great!
I just purchased a 2014 1LE and love it.
Thanks for supporting us also!

elarson5757 11-03-2013 05:36 PM

With the car in storage and me waiting for the engine build after the first of the year I will be starting to order up many of the planned cosmetic changes for installation when it comes out of storage in late March.

In preparation for that I have ordered the following today:

River City Reverse Hood Hinge Set
Technostalgia Tail Lights

Tomorrow I will be adding a set of Victory Red Ghosted Led Side Markers from AAC as well!

zandron263 11-03-2013 06:17 PM

Your Camaro is going to be a beast when you get it out in the spring. Good luck with the build.

elarson5757 11-07-2013 08:06 PM

Just added a set of VDI vertical door hinges to the mix!!

elarson5757 11-15-2013 12:21 PM

I really like the thought of several carbon fiber pieces on the car as long as I don't go overboard with changing everything back to fiber. With a months long waiting list I ordered a carbon fiber Anvil spoiler today. Any thoughts on what other exterior accent pierces would compliment it well without going overboard on the exterior? I do think t can't be the only piece of carbon fiber on the outside I'm just not sure yet what else to do.

elarson5757 11-25-2013 10:04 PM

well...my car has been stored for three or four weeks and I thought I could do it. I don't want nor will I drive it thru the winter, however I have decided when I get the right day of weather I am moving it back to my home garage. At least I can get started on some of my planned mods working on it in the garage in my spare time.

Once its moved... I will get started with the Technostalgia tail lights first. Today I ordered some light tint for the tail lights and will see how I like it for a while in the spring before I decide on permanently tinting them. I also ordered the same tint for the reverse lights.

My AAC ghosted side markers will also be here this week, so those will go on as well as soon as I move the car back.

Also ready by the time I get it moved back will be the reverse hood setup and the VDI vertical doors. I will tackle the hood project myself and make arrangements (again based on weather) to have the VDI kit installed.

I ordered a rear blackout graphics set and intend to paint the rear bow-tie Victory Red when that's complete.

Maureen at Rodgers will be getting me a color matched heritage grill with NO bow-tie, etc.

Ordered RGB halos for the headlights, strips for the grill, and interior RGB floor well strips. I will also pickup a white led bar for the mail slot when they are back in stock.

Ordering a set of ACS T3/S composite ports with the 3 led light pods each to be painted Victory Red (or I may leave black I'm not sure yet) as well and installed. My intent is that the lights in the ports and the white led bar will all be my DRL's and the halos, grill, etc. will all be via a remote.

Lastly working with Ivan on a custom set of red gauge faces.

In the spirit of my passion for this car I gave the project a theme or name...Scorpion or Rise of the Scorpion for fun!

Sorry for the long update and thanks to those of you who have showed interest. I just wish I didn't have to deal with winter as I really want to be outside in the sun getting my hands dirty.

scottc 12-01-2013 05:44 PM

Nice job!

elarson5757 12-01-2013 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottc (Post 7228770)
Nice job!

Thanks! Good looking car there in your signature! Looks very familiar!

Eric

elarson5757 12-02-2013 04:40 PM

Finalized details with Andy over at Livernois today on the Engine build up! I can't wait. I will schedule with them near the end of the month to have the car picked up! Couple weeks later I should have the beast back!

I switched the Whipple over to the polished version as well as added gauges, etc.

CamaroI 12-02-2013 06:03 PM

I would suggest going away from the reverse hood. You will thank me later on this one. The kit is flimsy and causes integrity issues with hood. You have to guide the hood down with each closing or you could destroy your fenders. While the hood is up you can actually wobble the hood from side to side. It the flemsy shocks they provide that cause the issue. Plus many who own have issue with passenger side closing correctly with hood lines. My fenders had to be modified to allow closer lines. As stated several others have had similiar issues.

Also to note...Will not work well with after market hoods unless revolution in style.

It does look great at shows, but just know the above. When I take anywhere Ie oil changes or dealer always list instructions on what to do or stay with the car. Other wise taking the chance of dinging up fenders.

CamaroI 12-02-2013 06:09 PM

As for black on the outside...I did stripe down along with Black Carbon Fiber mirrors. Less than 15 of these mirrors in production. Black Gills also

http://hornfrogs.zenfolio.com/img/s5...29329138-4.jpg

elarson5757 12-18-2013 03:25 PM

Well today I made the deposit on my engine build up and the process to order parts has begun at Livernois. Simply waiting on parts and then scheduling!!! I could not be more excited.

elarson5757 12-26-2013 11:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Rendering of the custom gauge faces I ordered from Southwest Speed!

SSTG 12-27-2013 10:31 AM

Very cool!
Ivan's awesome to work with also.

elarson5757 12-29-2013 06:58 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Got the car moved from storage today to my home garage! Got about an hour start on the reverse hood install and so far so good. While I was under the hood I installed a set of flat black strut tower covers by user CFD! Much nicer look IMO!!

elarson5757 12-31-2013 03:20 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Got the reverse hood kit installed today! Very impressed with the kit and install was a breeze once I got the right tool to get the OEM hinge bolts out. Toughest part is getting the body lines back lined up!

elarson5757 12-31-2013 08:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This OEM rear deck lid liner is going to get tackled tomorrow. I'm going to replace it with an ACS liner finished in Hydrocarbon with dual LED's that will light up a custom emblem that Roger at Emblem Pros is working on for me in line with my Scorpion theme.

elarson5757 01-01-2014 08:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got the trunk lid liner done tonight. Installed the ACS Composite trunk lid liner finished in hydrocarbon with the dual LED light pods. Very well made piece with a flawless finish! Topped it off by replacing the OEM trunk light bulb with a 12 LED replacement from Diode Dynamics!

elarson5757 01-05-2014 03:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got the license plate bulbs switched to LED today as well as the map light inside since we are stuck inside due to the snow storm from hell anyway.

I also got the preview drawing of my custom emblems from Roger over at Emblem Pros!!! These will be on each fender as well as inside the rear trunk lid on the new carbon fiber insert so the LED pods shine on it when the trunk is open. Main color will be flat black and the patterned background is carbon fiber.

This same scorpion will be embroidered into the headrests and the arm rest soon in RED.

elarson5757 01-05-2014 07:10 PM

Call me a sucker but I'm tinting a set of Technostalgia tail lights and starting the install. While I suspect I will, I really hope with all the horror stories that I don't regret it......yes I've hung on to my receipt.

EDIT: Install went easy and no problem with the lights out of the box. Car sits on trickle charger thru winter and longer periods of sitting so battery problems typically associated with these lights is a non issue. I just have to wire the RP100 remote switch for show mode and it will be done. Not going to post pics and just about everyone in the world has seen these lights with and without them being tinted.

Eric

elarson5757 01-08-2014 04:54 PM

I'm next!!! Car is being picked up by Livernois tomorrow afternoon for transport back to their shop!! A couple weeks and she will be back at home with one hell of a pacemaker.

toehead93 01-08-2014 05:29 PM

Looks nice, what do you have planned for brakes the brakes (because I have a CTS-V kit I'm selling) but regardless you'll want some help stopping with the additional HP! Have you thought about brake ducts too?

elarson5757 01-08-2014 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toehead93 (Post 7320806)
Looks nice, what do you have planned for brakes the brakes (because I have a CTS-V kit I'm selling) but regardless you'll want some help stopping with the additional HP! Have you thought about brake ducts too?

The car won't be raced so not much beyond the basics are planned. Some quality slotted and cross drilled rotors, EBC performance pads, and stainless lines.

elarson5757 01-09-2014 02:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Next stop...Livernois Motorsports!! She will return a BEAST!!

elarson5757 01-09-2014 06:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Can't say enough good stuff about Roger and his team over at Emblem Pros. He worked with me on some custom emblems in my theme until just the way I wanted them and then made them and has mailed them right out. Awesome guy, amazing talents. Couldn't be happier until I have my car back and they are on it.

SSTG 01-09-2014 07:17 PM

There great guy's over there at Emblem Pros.

Congrats on the great upgrades bro!