Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   How often to wax? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154414)

=Stephens= 06-22-2011 11:54 PM

How often to wax?

I was wondering how often you guys wax your ride? Is it possible to over wax? Once a month? I use the Adams products and love to detail my car. Sometimes, I like to get it dirty just so I can wash and detail it again.

Iwantone2 06-22-2011 11:59 PM

I wax my car about every 3 months, or until the water does not bead anymore after a car wash.

I know what you mean though; with all the Adam's supplies I have, how can you not detail your car? :D

=Stephens= 06-23-2011 12:01 AM

Exactly my point, with the daily specials. I am always adding more to my detailing arsenal.

Tecca 06-23-2011 12:14 AM

There are two many varible to answer this question this question the right way.

Where do you live, what type of weather does it see, is the car stored thoughout the day, how much do you wash it, and what type of concentration does the soap have. Lastly did you use a sealant or a carnauba.

I am going out on a limb and say every 3-6 weeks would be a good regiment for adams americana.

=Stephens= 06-23-2011 10:16 AM

I live in Nebraska. I drive it everyday. I wash it about once a week. I use all Adams products for soap, wax, sealer. And its garaged every night. Rain or shine I am driving.

Adam's Polishes 06-23-2011 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teccboxx (Post 3373831)
There are two many varible to answer this question this question the right way.

Where do you live, what type of weather does it see, is the car stored thoughout the day, how much do you wash it, and what type of concentration does the soap have. Lastly did you use a sealant or a carnauba.

I am going out on a limb and say every 3-6 weeks would be a good regiment for adams americana.

Bingo! Everything has an impact so theres no 1 answer to the question.

The best way to define if you need to wax is while your washing... if after you complete the wash and you're rinsing the water goes flat your wax/sealant is failing or has failed... if it beads up and rolls away easily your wax/sealant is still doing its job.

If you're a 'weekly washer' which a lot of people are, pay close attention to how the water behaves on the car the first wash after you wax... thats your baseline for good wax protection. Each wash after that you'll likely notice less beading progressively until the water goes fully flat and 'sticks' to the paint.

On average heres what I'd say most people do (from my observations)

Buttery Wax - every 2-3 weeks
Machine Superwax - every 6-8 weeks
Americana - every 4-6 weeks

This isn't 'point of failure' type intervals, but a good schedule to maintain it without it going completely away.

Theres also no rule that says you can't go early on a reapplication... remember the wax is degrading a little every day so after a couple of weeks your're already at less than 100%.... putting a fresh coat down will build that back up just don't get carried away and start waxing every couple of days as that can lead to buildup and hazing/clouding.

2LTRS 06-24-2011 12:22 PM

Don't quit smoking and wax your car instead... 12+ layers of americana in a week is a pita to remove, don't ask me how I know.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SSOOCH 06-24-2011 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2LTRS (Post 3379962)
Don't quit smoking and wax your car instead... 12+ layers of americana in a week is a pita to remove, don't ask me how I know.

VIDEO GAMES DUDE!!! DISCOVER THEM....LOL

Tecca 06-24-2011 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2LTRS (Post 3379962)

and that still wasn't enough to protect the paint. :laugh:

You realize that you really didn't have 12 layers of wax right Ryan.

In general you cannot layer carnauba waxes. What happens when you add a layer of carnauba to an existing layer is the original layer sort of "reliquifies" and is spread around the car again.

There is a benefit to adding a second layer of carnauba - The second coat will even out the carnauba on the car and provide for better protection and a more consistent shine.

But adding more than two coats of carnauba is pretty much a waste of time and product.

Adam's Polishes 06-24-2011 04:07 PM

Thats what hes getting at... at coat #12 he wanted to know why his paint looked cloudy... LOL... thats why its never a good idea to pick up detailing if trying to kick another addiction. You'll start to invent reasons to spend time rubbing your car.

=Stephens= 06-24-2011 04:21 PM

Thanks Dylan for the info

RS1017 06-24-2011 08:45 PM

noob question i know...dont hurt me :yikes:

do i have to remove an old coat of wax before applying a new one?

Iwantone2 06-25-2011 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RS1017 (Post 3382260)
noob question i know...dont hurt me :yikes:

do i have to remove an old coat of wax before applying a new one?

Dylan provided a very solid answer above, but here's the quote again:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dylan@Adams (Post 3375449)
Bingo! Everything has an impact so theres no 1 answer to the question.

The best way to define if you need to wax is while your washing... if after you complete the wash and you're rinsing the water goes flat your wax/sealant is failing or has failed... if it beads up and rolls away easily your wax/sealant is still doing its job.

If you're a 'weekly washer' which a lot of people are, pay close attention to how the water behaves on the car the first wash after you wax... thats your baseline for good wax protection. Each wash after that you'll likely notice less beading progressively until the water goes fully flat and 'sticks' to the paint.

On average heres what I'd say most people do (from my observations)

Buttery Wax - every 2-3 weeks
Machine Superwax - every 6-8 weeks
Americana - every 4-6 weeks

This isn't 'point of failure' type intervals, but a good schedule to maintain it without it going completely away.

Theres also no rule that says you can't go early on a reapplication... remember the wax is degrading a little every day so after a couple of weeks your're already at less than 100%.... putting a fresh coat down will build that back up just don't get carried away and start waxing every couple of days as that can lead to buildup and hazing/clouding.

Basically, no you do not have to remove wax before reapplication...I think

jshaf 06-26-2011 03:40 PM

:word:usually ever two months for me, mine is an outdoor car, that tends to lead to earlier waxings! when beading turns to pooling, time to wax!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iwantone2 (Post 3373778)
I wax my car about every 3 months, or until the water does not bead anymore after a car wash.

I know what you mean though; with all the Adam's supplies I have, how can you not detail your car? :D