Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forced Induction - V8 (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   1100-1200 capable bottom end build (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=571900)

_Onyx_Wolf_ 03-14-2020 02:50 PM

1100-1200 capable bottom end build

So I’m guessing my bottom end is done for lol will know something on Monday from my tuner but in preparation I want to build my bottom end to handle 1100-1200whp reliably. I will be adding a lsa blower on top next year or so as well so I need the bottom end to handle all the torque. Budget is tight but looking to spend maybe 4-6k not including labor.

eLeSthree 03-14-2020 09:38 PM

Since I haven't actually received or tested my TMS engine I wasn't going to post, but no one else is helping you out, so...

Follow Thompson Motorsports on instagram. They have "engine of the month" sales. I think your price range is right on par for a nice forged short block. However, if you are looking to run the LSA blower, you might be over building. Not knocking it at all, but I thought they max out around 800-900whp tops. But then again a cushion of 400-200hp can't hurt.

I've compared their prices to Texas Speed and think they're very comparable. Except Thompson offers a 12 month warranty when you buy their oil pump.

Cant go wrong with LME, Katech, and the big name companies, but it's outside of that price range you posted, AND its gonna be in a stock block.

I got a forged Dart 427 with a warranty for far less than what they charge for a stock block forged 416. Shop around...

Vegas Bound 03-14-2020 10:39 PM

LSA with pulleys and on e85 and meth tops out under 900. Go Procharger or turbos.

_Onyx_Wolf_ 03-14-2020 11:11 PM

Damn lol so the lsa I will be going with will either be a stock lsa to start or a Kong 2650 lsa sorry guys so it will see 1000+ also I will already have a supporting mods longtubes,cam, and a aftermarket 6 bolt head

Vegas Bound 03-15-2020 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _Onyx_Wolf_ (Post 10745524)
Damn lol so the lsa I will be going with will either be a stock lsa to start or a Kong 2650 lsa sorry guys so it will see 1000+ also I will already have a supporting mods longtubes,cam, and a aftermarket 6 bolt head

Stock or even standard ported LSA is limited to under 900 due to the size, 1.9L even with cam, LT, heads.

Kong is 2.65L and can provide enough air for strokers or even 427s and can produce much bigger numbers.

I limited factor is size of the blower and how much air it can move.

Putting a bigger blower on a standard 6.2 (376) is also useless as the limited engine displacement can't process that much air.

You could get closer to your number with a 6.2, 1.9 LSA (and supporting mods) and an additional power adder like spray.

racesloth 03-15-2020 09:04 AM

LY6 block with main studs, forged pistons, rods, and crank. Studs on better than stock heads are good insurance.

Like others said you are over building for LSA - if you are going Kong then just buy that first. If you are really looking for 1200 - think twin turbo now...

Big Biscuits 03-15-2020 10:34 AM

Ly6 is what I have when the time comes. Plans are forged pistons and rods stroked. Should be able to handle what I throw at her. No machine work. Just a checkout and hone. Keep cylinder walls as thick as possible.

_Onyx_Wolf_ 03-15-2020 11:59 AM

I’m fine with overbuilding for the lsa as I don’t want to build an engine twice unless I want 1200-1500whp then I would need a aftermarket block lol. I will be using my stock ls3 block as well so no lq9. I guess my real question is what rods,crank,pistons, and other optional upgrades should I go with to support a high hp supercharger build. Like domed pistons or flat top? Would a big cam for n/a be good for a supercharger? And what about other little things like bearings,wrist pins,oil pumps, etc

dreksnot 03-15-2020 01:36 PM

The stock LS3 aluminum block isn't going to be happy with more than 800whp. Sure, some say they have pushed beyond that but the fact is aluminum will start to distort/deform with power levels exceeding, crank may walk, sleeve crack, heads lifting with the 4-bolt. Suggest you look at an iron block, and 6-bolt head, for excess of 800whp uncorrected.

eLeSthree 03-15-2020 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _Onyx_Wolf_ (Post 10745746)
I’m fine with overbuilding for the lsa as I don’t want to build an engine twice unless I want 1200-1500whp then I would need a aftermarket block lol. I will be using my stock ls3 block as well so no lq9. I guess my real question is what rods,crank,pistons, and other optional upgrades should I go with to support a high hp supercharger build. Like domed pistons or flat top? Would a big cam for n/a be good for a supercharger? And what about other little things like bearings,wrist pins,oil pumps, etc

I'd kind of agree with dreksnot. If you plan on using the stock ls3 block (with forged piston/rod/crank) and stock sleeves, I wouldn't go past 1000. Thats why everyone ends up resleeving these blocks. The stock sleeves are thin. The cost of a resleeve is going to put you into aftermarket block territory $$ wise.

The LY6 iron 6.0 blocks with studs can take a lot of abuse and are fairly cheap if you source the block yourself. But once I started adding everything up, and then cost of balancing, I was right at a Thompson Motorsports short block on sale.... and the Dart block wasn't much more.

Decide on your blower first. If you stay stock LSA blower, the LSA short block will take 900 no problem.

Redbeard11 03-15-2020 03:41 PM

Plus 1 on Thompson motorsports. Been running one their 416s with no issues. Plus their customer service is A1.

_Onyx_Wolf_ 03-15-2020 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redbeard11 (Post 10745871)
Plus 1 on Thompson motorsports. Been running one their 416s with no issues. Plus their customer service is A1.

Ya I emailed them about some pricing waiting till Monday for them to get back to me lol

_Onyx_Wolf_ 03-15-2020 07:46 PM

Has anyone see those Lsr blocks? all aluminum and says it’s capable of 1500whp, also comes with spun ductile iron sleeves.

dreksnot 03-15-2020 09:25 PM

I dug into the LSR blocks. I received sky-high promises but I could really find any real world examples, folks using them. Apparently, there are a lot in the sand racer community. They look great on paper. I wanted some proof of folks running high horsepower at the strip but couldn’t get what I was looking for. That was over a year and a half ago so things may have changed.