Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Dropping sound after engine shuts off (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75613)

CamaroKid300 04-06-2010 03:07 PM

Dropping sound after engine shuts off

I have a V6 1LT and while the car is at idle I hear a constant clicking sound. Some threads on here state it is the fuel pump or something like that. I'm wanting to know if any of you hear a dropping sound right after you shut your engine off. It almost sounds like marble being dropped on the engine block. Very strange. It seems to drop and kind of bounce, then you don't hear it again until I crank her back up and shut it off once again.

any ideas? :iono:

J.T.

SleepWarz 04-06-2010 04:59 PM

Wow. Just wow.
First people questioning surface rust on the exhaust manifolds.....

Sorry didnt want to come off sounding mean but some of the questions around here just stun me.

The sound you are hearing is what every car does when its turned off. Due to the excessive heat of running your car metal involved with the engine expands, the sound is the metal cooling down and shrinking. Most likely a heatshield or your cats.

Michael_Js 04-06-2010 05:09 PM

Welcome to the site CamaroKid300! :wave:

Yup, just normal sounds...
I'd question my brand new car rusting too! ;) Even if something is "normal" to some people, there are others who are experiencing things for their first time...

Any pictures of your new Ride?

scrming 04-06-2010 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SleepWarz (Post 1683644)
Wow. Just wow.
First people questioning surface rust on the exhaust manifolds.....

Sorry didnt want to come off sounding mean but some of the questions around here just stun me.

The sound you are hearing is what every car does when its turned off. Due to the excessive heat of running your car metal involved with the engine expands, the sound is the metal cooling down and shrinking. Most likely a heatshield or your cats.

Sorry, but you are incorrect.. I hear it too... I know what cooling metal sounds like it... this is not what this is! it's like someone dropping a marble in a plastic box... happens about 5 to 10 seconds after turning the car off... Sounds kind of like a relay...

CamaroKid300 04-06-2010 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrming (Post 1684024)
Sorry, but for all you are incorrect.. I hear it too... I know what cooling metal sounds like it... this is not what this is! it's like someone dropping a marble in a plastic box... happens about 5 to 10 seconds after turning the car off... Sounds kind of like a relay...

^ indeed!

I don't mind if the noises I am hearing are normal... but when I have never had a nice car like this I want to be sure everything is running as close to perfect as possible!

CamaroKid300 04-06-2010 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael_Js (Post 1683689)
Any pictures of your new Ride?

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d9.../CAMARO009.jpg

I LOVE THIS THING!

Main 04-07-2010 12:22 AM

Yeah, I hear it always too.. it sounds like something is being held up by a vacuum and then drops after the car shuts down.. like a ping pong ball more then a hard marble sound to me..

:iono:

Russell James 04-07-2010 08:29 AM

Normal for the V-6. The direct injection pump is louder than hell, that's the ticking noise you hear while it's running. You should hear a four banger with direct injection like in a Terrain, you'd swear it has a spun rod bearing.

The several noises you hear after shut off are also a couple of the electronic gizmos up under the hood going through there shut down gyrations. First time I drove a V6 a friend of mine owns, we shut it off after opening the hood and heard all those clicks. I think it's the squirrels locking down their wheels. :D

skuttduck 04-07-2010 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrming (Post 1684024)
Sorry, but you are incorrect.. I hear it too... I know what cooling metal sounds like it... this is not what this is! it's like someone dropping a marble in a plastic box... happens about 5 to 10 seconds after turning the car off... Sounds kind of like a relay...

Ever notice that this sounds goes off, when the headlights, dome light, and ambient light shuts off?

I hear it too, but figure it is just part of the electronics for the car.

By the way, it will make that noise too when you open the door and the lights go on.

Angrybird 12 04-07-2010 08:38 AM

could it be your HVAC vents cycling to a neutral position? Just wondering, because every time I start mine I have noticed the vents seem not to be in the position I left them in...they have to reset themselves.. but then I have never heard any sounds after I shut the car off.

CamaroKid300 04-07-2010 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russell James (Post 1686447)
Normal for the V-6. The direct injection pump is louder than hell, that's the ticking noise you hear while it's running. You should hear a four banger with direct injection like in a Terrain, you'd swear it has a spun rod bearing.

The several noises you hear after shut off are also a couple of the electronic gizmos up under the hood going through there shut down gyrations. First time I drove a V6 a friend of mine owns, we shut it off after opening the hood and heard all those clicks. I think it's the squirrels locking down their wheels. :D

Well that makes me feel better! It is amazing how much electronic stuff goes into cars these days. The most advanced part of my grandmothers 91' toyota celica (sp?) seems to be the lights on the radio display or the automatic radio antenna that goes up and down!

:chevy:

Mr Smith 04-07-2010 05:03 PM

Sit in mine long enough after shutting down it makes all kind of noises. Little thump like noises, relays humming...Normal.

SleepWarz 04-08-2010 06:47 PM

Very well could be a relay. All my other cars have really loud ones so I dont really notice the one in the camaro.

Like the hid klunk lol.

recontango 04-12-2010 08:50 PM

I have the same sound, it isn't electrical, it is mechanical. At least several of us hear it, has anyone asked a dealer?