Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   EFILive vs HP Tuners....let's get ready to rumble (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43181)

general23cmp 09-18-2009 04:10 PM

EFILive vs HP Tuners....let's get ready to rumble

I know it's been debated endlessly, but I was to know the best choice for a new SS camaro and why?

From my research, I seem to like EFILive better for two reasons:

1. The ease of manipulating the unusual VE table (constants)
2. Downloadable trial. I have never seen HPTuners, so I don't know much about it. Why they don't offer a demo like EFILive, I don't know.

HPtuners wins on cost and seems to be the most common (not necessarily for new Camaros). Manipulating the VE tables in HPTuners seems tobe a bit more involved than EFILive from what I've read (I havent tried it...may be just as easy).

I'm not sure which licensing I like better as far as VINs or the model year credits.

Thanks.

Geoff 09-18-2009 05:01 PM

My 2 cents...

Right now EFI Live is the ONLY software that allows manipulation of the VE Coefficients without having to use an external calculator of some sort or use a custom OS that effectively locks your controller to that brand of software.

If you do use a Custom OS from EFI Live, it doesn't lock your controller, so that it can be restored to stock at a later date without HAVING to use EFI Live.

Although EFI Live looks to be more expensive, the licensing system winds up being MUCH cheaper in the long run. If you look at the 'other' software, you have to use credits. The number of credits you have to use is vehicle dependent. So if you have a new Corvette or Camaro you are being charged more in credits to tune it than if you have a 1998 model. If you download a Custom OS from the other guys, you have to pay more credits to do that download... Also if you are doing your own tuning, let's say that for some reason that you need to share your tune with someone else, say for them to adjust it for you. The person on the other end can NOT change that tune and send it back to you unless they have also used credits.

With EFI Live, ALL supported vehicles cost you ONE license. It doesn't matter what it is, unless it is a 1997/1998 LS1, in which case you can tune all of those you want without using any licenses. Additionally, if you send your tune to someone else to adjust for you, the person at the other end doesn't have to license the tune. The only time the license is actually used is when the tune is physically flashed into the computer.

Lastly EFI Live is VERY stable when reflashing the new Camaro. There are ZERO issues with having to disconnect the battery or do a relearn with any of the body control parts after a reflash.

a_Username 09-18-2009 11:24 PM

My brother has EFI Live for his duramax and I think he said it was around $100 for each license. He's going to tune my car after I change the oil... THAT IS IF WE CAN FIND A GOOD TUNE :(

john98ssfbody 09-19-2009 01:47 AM

HPT is probably easier to use if you are a casual user or for the owner using it on his or hers personal car. Its interface is easy to navigate through and is fairly intuitive. EFI Live is considerably more complex to use and navigate around especially for the beginner and casual user. As far as shop tools, EFI Live has the better deal than HPT. I say this because I can buy a ECU stream license and tune unlimited amounts of cars that the particular ECU is used in. For instance you purchase a E38 stream you can tune, Corvettes, Camaros, most trucks and SUVs and a myriad of other GM cars that use the E38. If you were to purchase make/model/year licenses for all that the E38 PCMs are used in with the HPT software the licenses would cost you a small fortune.

With EFI Live, you have the ability to use the virtual VE maps, and also tune in speed density with 2.5 bar and 3 bar maps, which are already in the PCM from GM! It is just that HPT wants to charge you for accessing something that is already built into the PCM from GM! It is just their way to make more $$$, none of these software packages are cheap, all can easily tune your car especially if the mods are relatively minor for the causual user, and they can all tune your car for even the most extreme mods which will take a more experience tuner to manipulate the tables to get the most out of your baby.

I don't know why HPT doesn't offer a free download so that prospective buyers can play with the program. The program is basically useless without its cable and the "keys" that allows one to save any file changes. I think it would make it easier for the average Joe to make a better educated decision on which software package to purchase.

RickyTheStorm 09-20-2009 01:47 PM

Okay - so say for the average person who wants full tuning capabilities of their car (willing to learn and gain experience) what is the cost difference and better investment?

These credits and licenses have my a little confused. Do you have to keep buying these tokens to keep changing a tune or is it a one time investment on the vehicle? Is the license for the EFI Live one time cost for the vehicle and use as much as you want? Charge more for accessing the bar maps? I would like to learn to tune my entire car myself - whats the best investment?

a_Username 09-21-2009 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RickyTheStorm (Post 947240)
Okay - so say for the average person who wants full tuning capabilities of their car (willing to learn and gain experience) what is the cost difference and better investment?

These credits and licenses have my a little confused. Do you have to keep buying these tokens to keep changing a tune or is it a one time investment on the vehicle? Is the license for the EFI Live one time cost for the vehicle and use as much as you want? Charge more for accessing the bar maps? I would like to learn to tune my entire car myself - whats the best investment?

On EFI Live, you buy the license one time per vehicle you want to tune, unless they are in the same tuning category as john mentioned above (with being able to tune it as many times you wish). Bar maps are free... but I've heard a lot of people say the EFI Live is basically the best tuner you can get for any GM vehicle.

general23cmp 09-21-2009 12:43 AM

Why do most people seem to use HPTuners for LS-based engines?

a_Username 09-21-2009 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by general23cmp (Post 949108)
Why do most people seem to use HPTuners for LS-based engines?

I'd say because HPTuners is more user-friendly.

EuroCamaro 09-21-2009 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geoff (Post 941738)
My 2 cents...

Right now EFI Live is the ONLY software that allows manipulation of the VE Coefficients without having to use an external calculator of some sort or use a custom OS that effectively locks your controller to that brand of software.

If you do use a Custom OS from EFI Live, it doesn't lock your controller, so that it can be restored to stock at a later date without HAVING to use EFI Live.

Although EFI Live looks to be more expensive, the licensing system winds up being MUCH cheaper in the long run. If you look at the 'other' software, you have to use credits. The number of credits you have to use is vehicle dependent. So if you have a new Corvette or Camaro you are being charged more in credits to tune it than if you have a 1998 model. If you download a Custom OS from the other guys, you have to pay more credits to do that download... Also if you are doing your own tuning, let's say that for some reason that you need to share your tune with someone else, say for them to adjust it for you. The person on the other end can NOT change that tune and send it back to you unless they have also used credits.

With EFI Live, ALL supported vehicles cost you ONE license. It doesn't matter what it is, unless it is a 1997/1998 LS1, in which case you can tune all of those you want without using any licenses. Additionally, if you send your tune to someone else to adjust for you, the person at the other end doesn't have to license the tune. The only time the license is actually used is when the tune is physically flashed into the computer.

Lastly EFI Live is VERY stable when reflashing the new Camaro. There are ZERO issues with having to disconnect the battery or do a relearn with any of the body control parts after a reflash.

Your first post? and very keen to plug EFi?

My 2 Euros went on HPTuners :)

mike25 09-24-2009 07:30 PM

hp tuners software used to run in two categories- pro and basic tuner setup. the pro was like 5 or 600 and the basic 3 or 400. the pro allowed you to tune via wideband using inputs etc while the basic you had to manually(forget the terminology for the two variables) tune. you pay for car credits...say you buy a camaro ss credit...then you can tune any camaro ss that fits under that year(has to be the same year etc.)...each vehicle has its own credit, and some can have multiple if that vehicles lineup offers multiple motors with different ecms etc.

hope this helps some.

for me hptuners is the clear choice as its more widely used in todays market. also you may try ls2edit i believe it is perhaps?

2Tightwads 09-24-2009 11:21 PM

Hp Tuners Pro here. Go to Ls1tech.com and read the stickies there for a full comparo' concerning your inquiry. I guarantee you more shops are using Hp Tuners than EFI live. Consider almost every in person class available for "How to tune" is taught based on Hp Tuners tables. Hell almost every book I've read has a screen shot of Hp Tuners. The user interface is easier to use and honestly just looks more professional for that matter as well. Don't let that Virtual VE crap get you in a tussy either. Most pro shops honestly disable the VE table completly in LS3 tunes anyhow. Check out Hp Tuners Forum for more on this...

EuroCamaro 11-23-2009 06:07 AM

Just saw this on a web site might be good for you EFI guys

SEMA 2009 Giveway smile

Anyone who is interested can use this license.
Just save it as a license.txt file in your "\My Documents\EFILive\V7.5\User Configuration"
Overwrite the one already there from the free demo software.

It will let you modify and save tunes and remove all the software restrictions in the demo. Inferior HPTuners users can now use the VVE tables and functions of this superior product.

--

[License.1]
Serial=001000000000
RoadRunner=
Type=Commercial Scan&Tune
Issued=20091120
Key=KBND-JVBF-CGXR-YKTX

camaro1 11-23-2009 12:17 PM

no need to worry about VVE tables with hptuners, the new OS upgrade works great:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52232

2Tightwads 11-23-2009 12:36 PM

Bye bye EFI live buzzards!

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52232