Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forced Induction - V8 (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   Blower guys... what street tire are you running? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=291071)

newagemuscle 04-23-2013 12:28 PM

Blower guys... what street tire are you running?

Am I the only one that feels like they have made my car slower since putting the blower on? I mean in the sense that they cannot put the power to the ground anymore. My car is making 547 to the wheels, so it is not crazy power compared to some, but my first and second gears are now useless. Temps are still pretty low here in Michigan (50’s), so I’m sure that is not helping much. Is there any tire other than a drag tire that will give me the traction I need? I currently am running the stock rubber and was considering Nitto 555r’s, but now I am leaning more towards a street tire. Do you guys have any recommendations on a street tire that is fairly sticky?

K32 Camaro 04-23-2013 12:44 PM

Living just below you I feel your pain. I don't like the idea of running DR's (even 555r) with all the road trips I take. I have been floating around in the tire section for some time and it looks like the answer is Vredestein Ultrac Sassanta's. I have 11" wide street rims to go with their 315/35/20s.

HumanWiki 04-23-2013 12:57 PM

I ran the OE PZeros on mine until I traded it... It wasn't fully useless in 1/2, just had to modulate the throttle right, be on the right type of surface, in the right temperature range, with the correct astronomical alignment and a full moon.

Supercharged Red 04-23-2013 01:08 PM

I just got Nitto NT555R 305/35-20 for the rear. The weather is just starting to get better here. Really don't know how they hook up on the street yet. I only drive my car about 5000 miles a year so I don't care that they will only last about 2 years.

BigMatt 04-23-2013 01:16 PM

I'm in the same boat as you. I don't want to run a drag radial because its my dd and I drive 2 and a half hours to the beach every weekend in the summer. So if I get stuck in a rain shower I don't want to be screwed, plus i dont want to spend 700$ for new rears every few thousand miles. I just ordered the hancook ventus v12 evos for dd. They were recommended to me by my tuner so I will report back how they are. I'm going to get a set of track wheels and tires later this summer.

WheelmanSS 04-23-2013 01:37 PM

My NT05s hook pretty well. I got new wheels on the way, so I'll be trying something new.

Moving to a wider Invo, so I'll see how that compares.

Dave Coyle 04-23-2013 01:40 PM

I ran the NT05's on my stock 20's and I still had issues hooking up at the track that was well preped with starting line glue! I don't have a SC but am hitting 434 HP. This year I went to 18" wheel/tire set-up but have not been able to try them yet this year. Good luck with finding a "dual purpose" tire that will hook up!

DuskSS 04-23-2013 01:44 PM

I'm not even SCed and at 510 I cant hook at all.
just blasts the tires the sec it hits powerband.

Im on 315 Invos now and they dont hook even the slightest bit.

Detoxx03 04-23-2013 01:58 PM

Street tires aren't going to hook so give that fantasy up. If you get caught in the rain on dr's you can still drive just be smart about it. If you don't like that idea then stay on street tires and stay out of the throttle. Remember dr's aren't going to fix all of your traction problems but it will make them better.

J-Rod6410 04-23-2013 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxx03 (Post 6459157)
Street tires aren't going to hook so give that fantasy up. If you get caught in the rain on dr's you can still drive just be smart about it. If you don't like that idea then stay on street tires and stay out of the throttle. Remember dr's aren't going to fix all of your traction problems but it will make them better.

Very well said there is no "perfect" dual purpose tire. "Best" one IMO is the Nitto 555R. It will hook up decently on the street and pretty good at the track. I've run 11.80's on them and got about 15k good miles out of them without doing useless burnouts on the street. They can be driven in the rain just fine but as Detoxx stated just be smart about it.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 a 1/4 mile at a time

Jayrcr3 04-23-2013 02:20 PM

The cold temps are killing you. The P Zero is very temp sensitive.

You're just going to have to learn how to roll into the throttle at the right rate. You will never be able to launch it on the street with a street tire.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

rforbes 04-23-2013 02:22 PM

Tires

I was about at that HP range and you definately need some good drag radials. I have had 555's which IMO were terrible, NT05R's which were hit and miss but the M/T ET street drag radials are the best.

I just happened to have a practically new set for sale in the for sale section. :emoticon11: 305/45-18. Why am I selling? Because I had to get a larger circumference tire to match my front Michelins so the car would not go into ABS mode when applying the brakes at the end of a run. They hook like crazy.

J-Rod6410 04-23-2013 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rforbes (Post 6459235)
I was about at that HP range and you definately need some good drag radials. I have had 555's which IMO were terrible, NT05R's which were hit and miss but the M/T ET street drag radials are the best.

I just happened to have a practically new set for sale in the for sale section. :emoticon11: 305/45-18. Why am I selling? Because I had to get a larger circumference tire to match my front Michelins so the car would not go into ABS mode when applying the brakes at the end of a run. They hook like crazy.

For the track you are correct ET streets are awesome. That is what I use now. But you wouldn't get 5k miles out of them on the street and the NT05R's about the same. OP looking more for a street tire not a track specific tire.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 a 1/4 mile at a time