Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Junkman, Dylan, and forum members I need some help (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148262)

Spillz 05-20-2011 09:32 AM

Junkman, Dylan, and forum members I need some help

Hello everyone, I recently delivered my Summit White Camaro to the dealership to have the front/rear bumpers repainted. Well today I will be picking my Camaro up and I'm curious if I should wash, clay, polish, and wax the car or wait some time to ensure the paint is fully cured? Also, I plan on putting a clear bra on...How long should I wait to do this? Thanks everyone...I really appreciate it...M:)

garcmol 05-20-2011 09:55 AM

This is a repaint correct? Polish would be cool, but don't wax it. Just wash it until that paint cures. Talk to the dealer that painted it and see what they say. The painter will tell you to wait at least 30 days. Some say up to 90.

woodstock 05-20-2011 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garcmol (Post 3243458)
This is a repaint correct? Polish would be cool, but don't wax it. Just wash it until that paint cures. Talk to the dealer that painted it and see what they say. The painter will tell you to wait at least 30 days. Some say up to 90.

So true,never wax a freshly painted car.

Adam's Polishes 05-20-2011 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodstock (Post 3243474)
So true,never wax a freshly painted car.

Not always true.

If possible speak with the painter or get his contact information so you can find out. Depending on the type of paint and process used different painters will have different recommendations ranging from "go ahead and wax" all the way thru "Wait 3 months!" the best person to seek advice from is the guy who knows the most about what was done to repaint the bumpers. His recommendations should trump anything anyone else says.

Now, that being said if you don't get any feedback then I'd suggest waiting AT LEAST 30 days to be safe. If the parts were baked that tends to be the minimum interval most paint shops will recommend.

I'd avoid the use of any sealants for at least the first 90 as many times they can cause staining on paint while its still 'soft'.

Darth Martel 05-20-2011 11:44 AM

I was told 60 days. I'm not going to drive it for at least 30 so hopefully, by that time, it will have cured enough to, at least, be durable enough to drive. Hopefully, I'll be picking mine up today.

USMCSSGT-RET 05-20-2011 09:49 PM

Just got my car back Wednesday and the painter himself said wait about 6 months until waxing it!!!!!!

rykeith 05-20-2011 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by USMCSSGT-RET (Post 3246205)
Just got my car back Wednesday and the painter himself said wait about 6 months until waxing it!!!!!!

Seems a little excessive... just got my door repainted about10 days ago (keyed :mad0260:) and I was told 60 days no wax, but I could polish. It's killing me not being able to wax the damn door.

Junkman2008 05-20-2011 10:57 PM

Quote:

Talk to the dealer that painted it and see what they say.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Anyone want my opinion? ;)

It totally baffles me why anyone wants to mess with their fresh paint in the first place.

2LTRS 05-23-2011 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Junkman2008 (Post 3246447)
Anyone want my opinion? ;)

It totally baffles me why anyone wants to mess with their fresh paint in the first place.

Because it's usually full of holograms :lol:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ouhockeyplayer 05-24-2011 09:11 AM

Yeah my fresh paint was a swirled mess when they returned the car. It looked awful when the sun hit it. Even though I could not wax it, I had to polish it out. Next month 90 days are up, and I can't wait to put some super machine wax on it.