Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forced Induction - V8 (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   FI questions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=328038)

turbolvr321 11-13-2013 04:10 PM

FI questions

Alright guys, here is the deal. Right now I have a 2013 SS with cam, longtubes and a Fast 102. I am around 480 to the tires.

I have been wanting 600-625, and I really don't want to spray it. What blower set up would you recommend? I don't like the way the E Force looks, As dumb as it sounds, so I am pulling that off the list right now. Right now I am talking to a shop about a full D1SC with the bigger intake and intercooler installed and tuned for 8k flat. I talked to LMR, they said the cam is great for boosted applications, so that's not a concern.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Kelly@PCMofNC 11-13-2013 04:23 PM

Making that hp number with FI on top of the mods you already have have will be easy, so don't sweat that.

Your biggest decision is centri (centrifugal - Procharger, Vortech, Novi) vs PD (positive displacement, Magnacharger & Edelbrock, in a similar vein fall the Whipples which are twin screw/lysholm) vs turbocharging (AGP twin turbo, or a custom kit) and all have their pros & cons. You may want to search a few threads to get the opinions of both sides as it's largely six in one hand half dozen in the other.

I have a PD on my own car (maggie 2300) and am very happy with it, making 700rwhp. The off the line torque is insane, too much actually as it just blows the tires off. For a street car it's awesome but it would be a handful at the track since it hits so hard initially, that is where a centri blower is a bit better as the small amount of lag allows you to hook up and move out before the boost really hits.

A lot of people will complaint about IATs on PD but they don't always go hand in hand...has a lot more to do with how the car is set up overall than the blower itself so don't be scared by that.

Consider compressor size when thinking about your final goals. 600-625 may suit you now but what about in a year, will you want to make 700? 800? etc. Just give yourself enough room to grow so you aren't buying a blower twice, you'll save more money that way.

Superchargers vs. turbos...you can say a lot. Typical SC complaints are belt slip and that it takes power to make power (it's driven off the crank). Typical turbo complaints are 'holy crap it's hot and melting everything' and pipes coming off if they're not v-band or using really good clamps. Depending on turbo size, lag may be an issue too. Turbos have their pros though - you can make killer hp with them, it's "free" power since it's exhaust driven, they sound soooo cool :thumbup:

I would ask myself the following,

- How is the car used
- How much power do I think I realistically will want to make
- Budget
- Ever plan on tracking it a lot

turbolvr321 11-13-2013 04:43 PM

Car is my daily. Just going to be used for having fun in and playing around with every once in a while. Plus every 5.0 I seem to come across has a power adder, and even though I stay around their rear bumper, I am tired of losing. Not bad for a couple bolt ons though.

At this point the goal is 600-625, I dont feel like building a new motor.

Budget isnt as much of a concern, I would like to keep it under 10k though.

Tracking it a lot? Not really. Its more just a car to have fun with. I may run it a couple of times, but not on any serious level. If I do run it I will probably just do some test and tune fun runs with my house mate (isnt how it sounds I promise) and his D1SC 5.0.

I know the D1SC is capable of a lot more (I think 900s) so I am happy with that there.

I have several single turbo cars. I love turbos (hence the screenname) but I have never owned a supercharged car. Something new sounds fun to me.

I guess my mind is pretty much made up. He said he can do the D1SC stage 2 installed and tuned for 8k out the door. That will easily get me the power I want, and I have never really heard complaints about Procharger.

Padre 11-13-2013 06:22 PM

You might look at my build, with a D1SC. Good thing is you'll be able to keep your FAST. Plus, you can build a centri it with a Wastegate and Boost Controller. Mine works brilliant: I can just dial the boost I want, and since it's a smaller pulley to begin with, the PD advantage is lost - you'll plenty of down-low torque, and you'll pull like a freight train on the top end. Moreover, at the track, you won't be spending an hour between runs icing the manifold. ;)

Padre

bct10985 11-13-2013 06:28 PM

Have you researched east coast superchargings kit

Slowhawk 11-13-2013 06:31 PM

The centri type of supercharger is a good choice for your needs.

BullF-16 11-13-2013 06:32 PM

I have a D1SC full setup with 3 or 4 pulleys and few belts and FAST 65# injectors i will be selling in Jan. Love the D1SC but its too small for my big HKE built LSX427.

On the LS3 you cant go wrong with the D1. I love it. It has the 3 core intercooler.

Unreal 11-13-2013 07:23 PM

Check out the ECS kit with the paxton 1500 if you want a blower. Best setup for a stock motor blower setup IMO.

2012InfernoSS 11-13-2013 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unreal (Post 7184014)
Check out the ECS kit with the paxton 1500 if you want a blower. Best setup for a stock motor blower setup IMO.

Really like my ECS kit

Chris82xx 11-13-2013 10:23 PM

You can't go wrong with a ECS or Procharger. Cost would be relatively the same. I'm an advocate for the ECS kit. If you have the extra cash you might want to invest in a meth kit. I personally like to look at it as and safety measure for your motor as well as a power adder.

Detoxx03 11-13-2013 10:49 PM

You're making the right choice going Procharger. D1SC here and loving up for two years now.

Kiwi_Camaro_2010 11-13-2013 11:05 PM

quick question do the centri style superchargers have a bypass valve set up like the maggie & whipple? If not do they constantly produce boost so they behave like old school pd blowers running all the time & using horsepower when not needed, so use more gas when cruising compared to whipple & maggie that produce hardly any drag on engine while cruising. Just looking at other side of the equation where centri produce more power but consume more fuel all the time due to drag on engine.

Kiwi_Camaro_2010 11-13-2013 11:11 PM

Not a big deal in USA but in New Zealand we hitting $10 a gallon so fuel economy comes into it a bit here unless your loaded!

CamaroRich 11-13-2013 11:28 PM

Turbo, I talked with Jay at LMR about this exact same thing last week, and he said they recommend a whipple for 5th gens and have had great results with them.