Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Glass/Headlight Swirls? (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40895)

goose7919 09-04-2009 04:52 PM

Glass/Headlight Swirls?

Hey guys, had a couple of quick questions...first of all, I have a few tiny swirls/very thin scrathes on my headlights...would Zaino's Z-2 be safe to use on them? Also, the glass interface for the radio has the same thing, little tiny scratches, just like you'd see on a swirl-marked car. I haven't even cleaned the inside yet so I have no idea how they got there :iono:! Anyways, tips for removing either of these would be appreciated!

Mr Twisty 09-04-2009 08:10 PM

Even the finest polishes are still an abrasive. If you're not careful, you'll just make it worse. If you can convince the dealer it was like that at delivery they should take care of you.

bluman 09-07-2009 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goose7919 (Post 885807)
Hey guys, had a couple of quick questions...first of all, I have a few tiny swirls/very thin scrathes on my headlights...would Zaino's Z-2 be safe to use on them? Also, the glass interface for the radio has the same thing, little tiny scratches, just like you'd see on a swirl-marked car. I haven't even cleaned the inside yet so I have no idea how they got there :iono:! Anyways, tips for removing either of these would be appreciated!

I believe there is a technical bulleting on scratched radio displays, inquire with the dealer service tech

glambert1 09-07-2009 07:38 AM

use this , it's what it was made for and won't scratch , works great only about 6 bucks at k mart
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...carmods018.jpg

goose7919 09-07-2009 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glambert1 (Post 893117)
use this , it's what it was made for and won't scratch , works great only about 6 bucks at k mart
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...carmods018.jpg

Sweet, I'll give that try! Nobody notices it but me, but it bothers me. Would that also be safe for the headlights as well? The tiny scratches are comparable to swirl marks, but not circular and there aren't many of them. They become noticeable at night when the headlights are one.

Chris@glimmerglass 09-07-2009 06:10 PM

For the headlights, depending how bad they are, you can use anything from a mild polish like the one pictured above, and go all the way up to wetsanding/polishing if they are real bad. Just depends how bad they are and how perfect you want them :)

I'd be very cautious using plasticx on the interface though. I'm not too familiar w/ the actual material used on the interface, but if its like any other I've seen, they are relatively soft and susceptible to further scratches from a abrasive product. If its real bad, talk to the dealer about a possible replacement. To keep it clean, typically a microfiber glass towel dampened w/ distilled water or optimum no rinse will keep it clean, however not remove any swirls/scratches.

goose7919 09-08-2009 09:59 PM

Sweet...would any of the Zaino products count as mild polish, such as Z2/Z5?

glambert1 09-08-2009 10:03 PM

I've used it on the radio a couple times it has been fine

goose7919 09-08-2009 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glambert1 (Post 899809)
I've used it on the radio a couple times it has been fine

The Zaino or Plastx?

ucbran 09-15-2009 05:01 PM

What about Z-14? I have the Zaino products but not this one...anyone used it? Thinking this might solve my radio faceplate scratches? Someone out there could make money by creating a protective cover for this faceplate like they do our Ipones....someone know of anyone working on that or already selling them?

glambert1 09-15-2009 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goose7919 (Post 900047)
The Zaino or Plastx?

plastx

HeadlightArmor 09-17-2009 09:46 AM

PlastX and Novus work on most light scratching on the headlights. You should also think about applying our clear headlight protection kit either as a compliment or instead of trying to polish. The adhesive tends to 'fill-in' light scratching and pitting. Then of course it is there as a protective layer to help keep your lights looking clean and clear. Just a thought.

ucbran 09-17-2009 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glambert1 (Post 927459)
plastx

How would you apply and remove without causing more damage and more scratches...I am just SO gun shy of doing this, but would love any help from other members.

JayhawkSS 09-18-2009 02:02 PM

When mine was delivered I notice a few fine scratches on the radio display. I was mad at myself for not noticing it when I pick it up from the dealer.

Anyway, I bought Zaino's "Z-14 Plastic Magic Cleaner & Polish" and used it on the radio display and headlights. It worked great but make sure you don't get any on the dash or any porous surface; itís a bitch to get off.

It might not be a bad idea to go over it with some Z-6 too. Hope this helps!:thumbsup: