Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Canadian Pricing for the Camaro5 (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2359)

Jay 12-23-2007 01:01 PM

Canadian Pricing for the Camaro5

So ladies and gentlemen.... what do you guys think pricing is gunna look like for us for the Camaro V6 and V8 versions?

What do you think is going to be our chances of buying down south when time comes around if the dollar stays strong and all with RIV tightening things up against Canadians buying cars down south.

Personally, I dont think Im going to sell this Camaro when I buy it.... so I dont really care about re-sale and stuff.... I just wanna save some coin when I do buy it.

So let it begin... btw discuss anything else in this forums about the car.... that we may get different in the Canadian version kinda thing.

DGthe3 12-23-2007 10:06 PM

I've heard that its hard to buy new cars in the states to save money. But the manufacturers are comming around and making the prices more even because of the relative values of the dollar. I think that if the american dollar stays roughly where it is for another year (not likely but you never know) then they may set equal pricing for 2009 - 2010 models. But I would expect that under the current +20% system, the Camaro should cost no more than 33k for the base V8 and around maybe 40k for SS-Z28, which isn't bad. I just hope that we can get them for US prices!

oh, and one differnance will be that our speedometer will be in km/h rather than mph.

Jay 12-24-2007 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGthe3 (Post 35918)
I've heard that its hard to buy new cars in the states to save money. But the manufacturers are comming around and making the prices more even because of the relative values of the dollar. I think that if the american dollar stays roughly where it is for another year (not likely but you never know) then they may set equal pricing for 2009 - 2010 models. But I would expect that under the current +20% system, the Camaro should cost no more than 33k for the base V8 and around maybe 40k for SS-Z28, which isn't bad. I just hope that we can get them for US prices!

oh, and one differnance will be that our speedometer will be in km/h rather than mph.

I think I could live with a 10-15% price difference with the states.... in which case I would just buy here in Canada....But when the difference goes up too much its hard to justify...

Because the Mustang is in comparison on these forums... take the mustang V8 deluxe in comparison to the same optioned Canadian mustang... American $26,500... Canadian version $35,500... that's roughly over 30% price increase... almost 9 grand!! Say after the all that bs paperwork and everything from crossing border, etc... say you only save 6-7 grand ....its still quite a bit of $$ and worth your time I would say.

I think where you will be able to save some really good $$$ is going to be on the SS-Z28 models. I think by the time this car comes out the pricing difference on vehicles below 35 grand wont be worth people's time and effort.... but once you jump over 40 I think you will be able to save a minimum of 5 grand at-least.... more expensive the car, more the savings.... my dad was looking at the new Audi S5..... price difference of 20 grand!!!!!

Anyways thats my ramble.

You think we might get some different winter packages for Canada... seen that one before on other cars??

How about different safety features due to legal differences here in Canada?? Cant think of any.

Shaun 12-28-2007 04:43 PM

I don't know much about buying new cars, so I've been asking around trying to get some information and I came across this site:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/importation/impusae.htm

I would prefer to buy my camaro locally, but if I could save even $5000, I think I'd go through the hassle of trying to buy it in the States.

Jay 12-28-2007 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaun (Post 36340)
I don't know much about buying new cars, so I've been asking around trying to get some information and I came across this site:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/importation/impusae.htm

I would prefer to buy my camaro locally, but if I could save even $5000, I think I'd go through the hassle of trying to buy it in the States.

Yes, there is quite a bit to deal with in brining in a car from the states.... but for a good amount of money savings it can be worth it. I think 5000 in savings as a minimum would be required for me to incur all the hardship of getting one south. My friend just got a new Tahoe imported for 55 grand everything done and across the border from a broker in the states... same truck would have cost close to 75 here in Canada!!!! Were getting ripped off brutally in some situations.

Here is another site with much more detail in regards to this importing matter....
http://www.riv.ca/

DOOREV800 12-31-2007 11:28 AM

I am going to buy it here in Canada either way. But I do think that all the manufactures are going to do 1. Raise the price of the american MSRP to bring it closer to our MSRP's or 2. all the new vehicles coming out will have a MSRP closer to the American price.. Something has to be done cuz lots of pep's or bitchin'! There are great rebates and incentives going on right now but why don't they save the hassel and even out the the prices.Just hope our dollar stays steady for the next year or so.

Jay 12-31-2007 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DOOREV800 (Post 36674)
I am going to buy it here in Canada either way. But I do think that all the manufactures are going to do 1. Raise the price of the american MSRP to bring it closer to our MSRP's or 2. all the new vehicles coming out will have a MSRP closer to the American price.. Something has to be done cuz lots of pep's or bitchin'! There are great rebates and incentives going on right now but why don't they save the hassel and even out the the prices.Just hope our dollar stays steady for the next year or so.

the shape that the american economy is in.... you can almost bet the MSRP prices are not going to go up for quite some time now, lol..... its more likely we will see ours drop.... but I still think the bastards aren't gunna drop it to a level where is fair so that its feasible enough to buy here imo.

Mike88 01-01-2008 11:44 PM

If the dollar remains equal or stronger, GM will be hard pressed to justify pricing Canadian Camaro's thousands of dollars higher than American Camaro's for a few reasons. First of all, they will have had 2 years by then to adjust the pricing of models to be more equal to American cars. Also, this is a new model which means it should get 'fresh' pricing, i.e. the pricing can't be based on previous years of the same or a slighly revamped make/model. Finally, the car will be assembled here in Canada which means GM can't claim that shipping costs and cross-border hassels cause the higher pricing.

All that said, I still won't be suprised if they price the Camaro several thousand dollars more than the US model. I think the biggest problem is that Canadian consumers aren't making a big enough fuss about it. No one seems to be generally p*ssed off enough about this...we're just minorly annoyed. Hopefully by 09 someone will light the torch and bring the protest down to GM Canada's HQ.

Also, all this talk about buying your car in the US and having it imported is pointless if GM Canada won't honour your warranty. I mean you can't tow the vehicle across the border every time there's a problem or a recall. The manufactures really have us by the balls if they don't agree to repair vehicles purchased in the US at Canadian dealerships...and this is the stance many manufactures (although I'm not sure about GM) are taking at the moment.

Jay 01-06-2008 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike88 (Post 36889)
If the dollar remains equal or stronger, GM will be hard pressed to justify pricing Canadian Camaro's thousands of dollars higher than American Camaro's for a few reasons. First of all, they will have had 2 years by then to adjust the pricing of models to be more equal to American cars. Also, this is a new model which means it should get 'fresh' pricing, i.e. the pricing can't be based on previous years of the same or a slighly revamped make/model. Finally, the car will be assembled here in Canada which means GM can't claim that shipping costs and cross-border hassels cause the higher pricing.

All that said, I still won't be suprised if they price the Camaro several thousand dollars more than the US model. I think the biggest problem is that Canadian consumers aren't making a big enough fuss about it. No one seems to be generally p*ssed off enough about this...we're just minorly annoyed. Hopefully by 09 someone will light the torch and bring the protest down to GM Canada's HQ.

Also, all this talk about buying your car in the US and having it imported is pointless if GM Canada won't honour your warranty. I mean you can't tow the vehicle across the border every time there's a problem or a recall. The manufactures really have us by the balls if they don't agree to repair vehicles purchased in the US at Canadian dealerships...and this is the stance many manufactures (although I'm not sure about GM) are taking at the moment.

Yes, the whole warranty issue is a whole another issue in itself!!!! I agree though, if they said no warranty work for outside Canada vehicles.... I don't think I would by the Car from the states unless there was like a 15 grand difference or something drastic like that (ill fix it myself for that kinda savings, lol)....which will never be the case.

So yes, it does look like that given the car is being assembled in Canada... the pricing should be very close to American pricing.... I'm thinking maybe a 3 grand difference for the V8 base models.... again this all depends on the dollar as well(which will probably still hover close to .95 until then).

I guess time will tell!!!

Mike88 01-07-2008 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay (Post 37761)

So yes, it does look like that given the car is being assembled in Canada... the pricing should be very close to American pricing.... I'm thinking maybe a 3 grand difference for the V8 base models.... again this all depends on the dollar as well(which will probably still hover close to .95 until then).

I guess time will tell!!!

But there is no justification for ANY difference in price if the loonie stays at or near par with the American dollar. We shouldn't accept any price difference. This is what I'm saying about ppl not being p*ssed off enough. We're actually willing to pay the difference even if its absolute unjustified price gougery (that's probably not a word...lol).

DGthe3 01-07-2008 09:55 PM

But everything is a bit more expensive here, but we were getting gouged on the cars. I say were because Chrysler now has new Canadian prices that put our cars within less than 10% with the American prices, from what I looked at. GM is doing the same, the others should follow soon

Mike88 01-08-2008 09:25 PM

forgive me, but i'm not applauding Chrysler and GM for putting the prices within 10%. We now pay the US price on books and magazines at chapters and other book retailers...the book industry makes billions every year and so if one multi-billion dollar industry can adjust so that prices are EQUAL, I don't see why the car industry can't too.

Mike88 02-11-2008 11:55 AM

its dead in here...I was looking for an excuse to start the conversation back up so I just built a mustang gt with the build and price tool from both the www.ford.com and www.ford.ca websites. I build the cars as equal as possible and the Canadian GT came to around $38,000 Cdn, while the American GT came in just over $28,000 USD. Without calculating the APR, the $10,000 differences comes to about $170 bucks more per month for the Canadian GT on a 60 month finance of the vehicle.

DGthe3 02-11-2008 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike88 (Post 44539)
its dead in here...I was looking for an excuse to start the conversation back up so I just built a mustang gt with the build and price tool from both the www.ford.com and www.ford.ca websites. I build the cars as equal as possible and the Canadian GT came to around $38,000 Cdn, while the American GT came in just over $28,000 USD. Without calculating the APR, the $10,000 differences comes to about $170 bucks more per month for the Canadian GT on a 60 month finance of the vehicle.

Its impossible to guess what they will sell for. If the buck and the loonie stay on equal footing, pricing will have to come down. And not just incentives. Putting the actual price at something roughly equal to the US price. If they don't, there will be alot of people going cross border shoping and paying to import the car rather than pay an extra 25% for Canadian markup.