Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   DIY: Camaro Oil Change (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53422)

pacecar 12-27-2009 12:55 AM

great safety advice with the jack stands and blocking the wheels and e-brake! but start with cracking open a beer? lol
i just want to add..... fill the filter with oil before installing, and lower vehicle before checking level and starting up
the plug works and so does filtermag, just dont cut filter with a grinder, it will give you filings that didnt come from the bearings and scare the crap out of you!!

bballr4567 12-27-2009 01:23 AM

If you arent going to crack open the filter to look at the media then no need to use a filter wrench. Punch a hole in the filter to drain the oil and then skewer the filter with same screwdriver and screw off.

Also, if you cant get off your oil filter without tools then its on too tight.

Another tip as well. Take some of your OLD oil and dip your finger in it. Run it along the rubber o-ring of the NEW oil filter and install. It will ensure that the filter comes off nice and easy next oil change.

td2222 12-27-2009 07:52 AM

I also wondered what you spent on your DIY oil change? I was told by the dealer the car doesn't come with synth oil, which did you use?

Heath1661 12-27-2009 08:24 AM

anyone putting royal purple in their maro's?

camaro_eddie 12-27-2009 08:29 AM

Strictly AMSOIL for me and all my vehicles/toys!

camaro_eddie 12-27-2009 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by td2222 (Post 1322116)
I also wondered what you spent on your DIY oil change? I was told by the dealer the car doesn't come with synth oil, which did you use?

you were told wrong and I would reconsider having that dealership work on your vehicle, simpy read the owners manual. I use AMSOIL personally.

75rusty 12-27-2009 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eynigush (Post 1206641)
Good post. Very handy to encourage the do-it-yourselfers so they can save $140 at the dealership. Thanks.

$140??? That is insane!

KILLER74Z28 12-27-2009 09:37 AM

:popcorn:

Bumblebee10 12-27-2009 10:07 AM

I just buy the supplies I need from wal-mart with my 10% discount and then bring the car anywhere that changes oil and they do it for like $10-$15 when I give them the supplies. Total mobile 1 synthetic change costs me around $38-$46

sstnt 12-27-2009 10:16 AM

When I took my 1SS in to the dealer get the locknuts on the spoiler done, I got a survey to do. Guy gave me a certificate for a free (synthetic!) oil change....know where my next oil change will be!

Memaat 12-27-2009 01:07 PM

Try Mr Goodwrench

$84.00 at Gordon Chevy, Garden City, MI. How can you beat that? I don't know if that is a one-time price or typical dealer price, but I've never gotten a service discount without asking for it.

2010 SSRS 12-27-2009 02:01 PM

Great info :)

ssrsheaven 12-27-2009 02:18 PM

never thought about putting nail through the bottom of oil filter to drain the oil in all the years I have done my own,nice hint.Also paid 72.00 on the last two oil changes from dealership (Reeder).

Memaat 12-27-2009 02:34 PM

Hmmmmm?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssrsheaven (Post 1322826)
never thought about putting nail through the bottom of oil filter to drain the oil in all the years I have done my own,nice hint.Also paid 72.00 on the last two oil changes from dealership (Reeder).

As long as you get 7.8 qts out, then OK. Just make sure nothing left in the pan.

Wayner2k2 12-27-2009 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssrsheaven (Post 1322826)

Never thought about a nail. I’ve always used a center punch and a hammer to put a small hole in the side. I have only had my oil changed by someone else once, and it cost me 90 bucks for the Sky. That was the last and only time. I simply do not trust other people when it comes to my vehicles. That and I’ve seen too many mistakes made on oil changes.

Has anybody lubed their car yet? I’m due for an oil change soon, and I almost always grease it while I’m under there. Just looking for any hidden grease fittings that might be under there.

obe1 12-27-2009 05:20 PM

I doubt you'll find any grease fittings. Most car manufacturers switched to sealed ball joints and other suspension parts years ago.

adub4185 12-27-2009 06:47 PM

made the front page! YES!!

all the suggestions that have been made are in the write up at some point, but thanks for the suggestions guys.

at my next change, ill be doing the transmission and rear diff fluids, so ill do another DIY for those along with a follow up on my filtermag and magnetic plug findings.

Akagitsune 12-27-2009 07:59 PM

To avoid metallic particles in oil:

Quote:

Originally Posted by amphi (Post 1214552)
I thought the LS3 is casted from aluminum. What parts are made of Iron that would be picked up by the magnets if found in the oil?

Fist off, GREAT article! Easy to follow explanation and some great tips. :thumbup:

Secondly, this article reminded me of this link:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38438

According to that article, there are lots of various metallic particles that will appear in the engine as a result of breaking it in. That drain plug is a monster!! I'll have to get one of those someday. The filtermag seems promising too, but I'm slightly more on the fence about that one: Isn't that what the screens in the filter are for anyways?

Ames 12-27-2009 08:02 PM

I'm looking forward to the filtermag review.

gregus73 12-28-2009 08:51 AM

Nice write up. Will be sure to save this.

thanks

FirstLSK 12-28-2009 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bumblebee10 (Post 1322304)
I just buy the supplies I need from wal-mart with my 10% discount and then bring the car anywhere that changes oil and they do it for like $10-$15 when I give them the supplies. Total mobile 1 synthetic change costs me around $38-$46

Just FYI for all of those that pay a place to change your oil -- you are not getting a complete oil change.

I used to work at "quick lube" place. The rule of thumb was when the oil went from a solid stream, to a partial stream, put the plug back in and start filling with oil 1 quart lower than the manuf. spec. It takes longer than a few minutes for all of the oil to drain out.

Just one other FYI -- look at the oil pan when the car is on the ramps. I bet there is 1/2 quart of oil sitting in the pan behind the plug. I use 4 jack stands to keep it level.

aldaran 12-28-2009 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FirstLSK (Post 1324968)
Just FYI for all of those that pay a place to change your oil -- you are not getting a complete oil change.

I used to work at "quick lube" place. The rule of thumb was when the oil went from a solid stream, to a partial stream, put the plug back in and start filling with oil 1 quart lower than the manuf. spec. It takes longer than a few minutes for all of the oil to drain out.

Just one other FYI -- look at the oil pan when the car is on the ramps. I bet there is 1/2 quart of oil sitting in the pan behind the plug. I use 4 jack stands to keep it level.

Exactly. It could have been a fast change as mentioned above leaving a substantial amount in there. I do all my own oil changes. Going to try the hole punch in my Silverado oil filter, because that one gets pretty messy. My 2000 Camaro V6 is the easiest one to do since its horizontal.

camarolt76 12-28-2009 01:30 PM

This is a nice writeup on changing the oil.:thumbsup::chevy: Thanks for sharing.

Cyber_Gray_Autobot 12-28-2009 03:05 PM

Has anyone did this for the v6 with a write-up? I know the filter is somewhere on top rather than on the bottom. Any other differences???

Tran 12-28-2009 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adub4185 (Post 1323480)
made the front page! YES!!

all the suggestions that have been made are in the write up at some point, but thanks for the suggestions guys.

at my next change, ill be doing the transmission and rear diff fluids, so ill do another DIY for those along with a follow up on my filtermag and magnetic plug findings.

PM me when you've put up these DIYs and we'll see about putting it on the front page. Thanks for sharing :thumbsup: