Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Keeping the paint looking new (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=281118)

FY_Ivan 03-05-2013 11:13 AM

Keeping the paint looking new

1 Attachment(s)
So I've been reading around the forum and found out that the paint on our cars isn't particularly the best/most durable. I've had the car for about 2 weeks and i'm intent on keeping the black paint as shiny and perfect as possible. Looking at it everyday the paint looks perfect and shiny, until i get really close and look at it from an angle I see what may look like swirl marks. (pic)

Is it recommended to start polishing and waxing already? Should this be done at a shop or as a DIY? I've never actually waxed or polished a car before (I used to own an 04 Camry, I just took it to Dr. Wash), so if anyone has a preferred brand or a guide on how to wash/polish/wax I'd appreciate the input.

I've also been thinking about adding splash guards to the car, any thoughts on this and benefits preventing rock chips on the side of the car (or are they still going to happen/not worth the money/don't look good).

Anyone try the 3M clear bra? I looked into it and seems like a great solution granted that it won't yellow in a few years. Installed in the front and the door edge and door handle hole (where fingernails tend to scratch the paint, also in the picture) seem like a good idea.

Gunslinger09 03-05-2013 11:17 AM

Keep it waxed with a high quality carnauba wax.

SuperSport2011 03-05-2013 11:19 AM

that's why I didn't buy black lol way to much work to keep it looking good.

...and a clear bra is a great way to prevent rock chips, I rocommend it.

heRS 03-05-2013 11:21 AM

stop going to the drive through car wash, then go visit the Junkman on youtube. Or join the Meguiars forums and review their car care videos. Or go to Adams website and view their videos.
There is also a forum here on C5 dedicated to the subject and you will find a smorgasboard of ways to keep your Camaro spotless. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=45

ackeight 03-05-2013 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heRS (Post 6248068)
stop going to the drive through car wash, then go visit the Junkman on youtube. Or join the Meguiars forums and review their car care videos. Or go to Adams website and view their videos.
There is also a forum here on C5 dedicated to the subject and you will find a smorgasboard of ways to keep your Camaro spotless. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=45

X1 million. A quality wash, clay bar, polish and wax goes a long way to keeping the paint nice for many years. A drive through car wash or improper wash technique can ruin that clear real quick.

40years 03-05-2013 11:25 AM

The best money that you can spend right now would be for the 3M clear bra.

fgg60 03-05-2013 11:27 AM

Check out the clear bra called xpel...sounds like the best way to go.that's the way I will be going when my Camaro arrives...
:high5:

menendez1293 03-05-2013 11:31 AM

The products i choose was Adams. I just recently changed to their products and while their stuff is a tad expensive they are high quality products and in my opinion deliver awesome results.

Ringo64 03-05-2013 11:32 AM

This is my second black GM car, granted separate years apart so the paint chemicals are different but my 2006 (build date 2005) Pontiac G6 still looks like it is off the showroom floor and it's close to 8 years old. Hand-wash your car delicately and take your time and the paint will stay great for years to come. My Camaro and G6 I usually alternate every other week for washing, then once a month or depending will do a wax.

Just like everything else with your car, take care of it and it will last ;)

DuskSS 03-05-2013 11:35 AM

had the car less than 12 hours and was in the shop getting the clear bra.
would never own another new car without one.

And my car will never see the inside of a carwash.
It gets a professional detail once a week.
Factory Swirls are also common.
take and have it polished out cost me 100 bucks to get rid of all the dealer crappy swirls on the second day of ownership.

FY_Ivan 03-05-2013 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonpope2003 (Post 6248116)
had the car less than 12 hours and was in the shop getting the clear bra.
would never own another new car without one.

And my car will never see the inside of a carwash.
It gets a professional detail once a week.
Factory Swirls are also common.
take and have it polished out cost me 100 bucks to get rid of all the dealer crappy swirls on the second day of ownership.

Cool, I will definitely look at getting a clear bra sometime soon. Where did you get your car polished?

FY_Ivan 03-05-2013 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ackeight (Post 6248077)
X1 million. A quality wash, clay bar, polish and wax goes a long way to keeping the paint nice for many years. A drive through car wash or improper wash technique can ruin that clear real quick.

I'll look into clay bars, seems like they make a world of a difference. Do you do all the steps yourself or is there something that is recommended to be done by a professional or by special tools.

DuskSS 03-05-2013 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FY_Ivan (Post 6248183)
Cool, I will definitely look at getting a clear bra sometime soon. Where did you get your car polished?

just a reputable local high end detail shop.

do some google research for your area.

FY_Ivan 03-05-2013 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heRS (Post 6248068)

This is exactly what i was looking for, i will have plenty of reading material now
:high5: