Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   cam (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124521)

moodi 01-16-2011 07:33 PM

cam

hey guys how are you doing?

i have got my kooks LTH, CAI ,BORLS exhaust and a tune.:happyanim:

i am thinking of a cam, a pulley and a torque converter

what do you think? which cam will be good and will sound loud??

what about the torque converter ?

how much would all of this cost me ??

and how much HP i'm looking at ??

MY CAR IS AUTO???

stikSS 01-16-2011 08:11 PM

The question is... Do you wanna replace the stock lifters on the L99 or stay with the factory? Texas Speed if i'm not mistaken has a cam kit that allows you to retain the factory lifters. This is due to the AFM on the L99.

Horsepower gains are variable... I would say you would be looking between 40 and 70 rwhp gain from the cam.

You could probably get a good recommendation on the torque converter from whoever you get the cam from. Probably around 3200 stall??...

Good Luck, Search this thread for L99 cams and that might help you as well.

moodi 01-16-2011 08:25 PM

thanks and yes i will

Brianskeet 01-16-2011 08:30 PM

Take a long look at what you want to accomplish first. Peak Horsepower? Best lowend? Trying to achieve a balance? Do you want cam lope sound? Do you want to keep your idle RPM very low and remain near stock driveability? All these questions are personal and have to be answered first. Then take it to your chosen cam maker and talk turkey. All cams are compromises to some extent with the VVT cams showing real promise of being the least amount of compromise. Absolute peak power means high idle speeds and the need for a converter and new valve train set up including conversion to LS3 style valvetrain. What I am doing the most research on right now are the VVT cams from Texas speed and Mast. The VVT technology seems to offer the most of what I want. Absolute peak power is not as important to me as driveability and low RPM torque while still gaining some on the top end. But then again my goals do not include racing so it becomes a personal choice. Figure out exactly what you want first. Then jump in.:D

Alain 01-16-2011 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brianskeet (Post 2737137)
Take a long look at what you want to accomplish first. Peak Horsepower? Best lowend? Trying to achieve a balance? Do you want cam lope sound? Do you want to keep your idle RPM very low and remain near stock driveability? All these questions are personal and have to be answered first. Then take it to your chosen cam maker and talk turkey. All cams are compromises to some extent with the VVT cams showing real promise of being the least amount of compromise. Absolute peak power means high idle speeds and the need for a converter and new valve train set up including conversion to LS3 style valvetrain. What I am doing the most research on right now are the VVT cams from Texas speed and Mast. The VVT technology seems to offer the most of what I want. Absolute peak power is not as important to me as driveability and low RPM torque while still gaining some on the top end. But then again my goals do not include racing so it becomes a personal choice. Figure out exactly what you want first. Then jump in.:D

i'm also doing some research on cams. and this is some of the best worded advise i've seen so far.

stikSS 01-17-2011 08:58 AM

That is a very good statement and does shed alot questions to ask yourself before jumping in. I do believe that the cam is the best $ to HP gain ratio you can do if you're willing to spend this much... atleast for a LS3. The L99 might be more in terms of money, but one thing to factor in as well... if you decide to replace the stock lifters, consider doing CNC headwork or replacing the heads altogether. Just another thought as well.

moodi 01-17-2011 10:22 AM

thank you guys and i really appreciate your help
let me think about it. and ill post some pic when i done with every thing

Awesome_SS 01-20-2011 09:42 AM

Take a look at what I did with my A6. This may help you some.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123470