Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Convertible at or under MSRP? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130609)

SUX2BU 02-20-2011 11:12 PM

Convertible at or under MSRP?

So I wanted to order my convertible the second it was available, but the salesman I talked to mid last year has no clue when they would start taking orders. So I told him to call me the second he knew and I would run down there with a deposit. Well, I never got a call and didn't find out that dealers were taking orders till right after the new year. So after getting three go ahead from the wife (she said she was cool with me ordering after my truck was paid off), I ran to the credit union, paid off the truck and started calling dealerships. I was really freaked out that I might have missed the boat and no one would have allocation left and if they did they were going to try to bend me over on a dealer mark up.
I licked our and found a local dealer with allocation and I got down their asap. I ordered it the exact way I wanted it and was very adamant about making sure there was no mark up and that allocation was in fact available.

Well, now I am wondering if I could have shopped around and found a dealer selling below MSRP. I already put $1k down and had the sales manager put in writing that there would be no dealer mark up so I'm getting the car there for sure. I'm totally cool with paying MSRP and am ecstatic that my order has been moving through petty quickly, I'm just wondering if anyone else actually negotiated paying under MSRP with no extra dealer mark ups for a vert. Seeing as how these are gonna be the first ones it didn't even occur to me that they might negotiate on them.

Drago77 02-20-2011 11:26 PM

Here's my story:

I showed up at 8am in Nov 08 to place my Vert order... much to.my dismay, once I passed the few ppl placing coupe orders, I was told verts weren't available, but the salesman took my info.and.order request non the less. He kept in monthly contact for years. As last fall approached and more info became avaliable, he seemed really clueless (Ft Pierce Chevy, Florida) so I looked to a neighboring dealer. As the weeks befor the Nov 2010 orders came up, I spoke to both dealers daily, both swore no.mark ups, and "first on their list." Finally Nov 15 came, I called Ft Pierce, they claimed no orders till Dec (?!?!?!?) And $5000 mark-up over MSRP. I called my back-up the next town over, they'd take my order, and had allocation, but wanted a $2500-$5000(undecided) mark-up.

I began a frantic.search of S Florida... those who had any info on the Verts all had a mark-up, most simply said "no info avaliable yet."

Finally, I made it to Starling Chevy in Saint Cloud. I spoke with a salesman who came rght out with "$50 over invoice" for all.Camaros ordered before 2011. According to him, since I placed my order, I was entitled to that price. He sent me the deal, in writing, signed by his Sales Manager and Dealership Owner that afternoon.

I take delivery of my car Feb 28, a 2SS/RS LS3 Vert, complete, out the door for $44,220!!!!! Im saving $850 under MSRP, but nearly.making it up in ad fees etc... but still, i think I.did really well.

There's still a few honest ones out there!!!!

SUX2BU 02-21-2011 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drago77 (Post 2867206)
Here's my story:

I showed up at 8am in Nov 08 to place my Vert order... much to.my dismay, once I passed the few ppl placing coupe orders, I was told verts weren't available, but the salesman took my info.and.order request non the less. He kept in monthly contact for years. As last fall approached and more info became avaliable, he seemed really clueless (Ft Pierce Chevy, Florida) so I looked to a neighboring dealer. As the weeks befor the Nov 2010 orders came up, I spoke to both dealers daily, both swore no.mark ups, and "first on their list." Finally Nov 15 came, I called Ft Pierce, they claimed no orders till Dec (?!?!?!?) And $5000 mark-up over MSRP. I called my back-up the next town over, they'd take my order, and had allocation, but wanted a $2500-$5000(undecided) mark-up.

I began a frantic.search of S Florida... those who had any info on the Verts all had a mark-up, most simply said "no info avaliable yet."

Finally, I made it to Starling Chevy in Saint Cloud. I spoke with a salesman who came rght out with "$50 over invoice" for all.Camaros ordered before 2011. According to him, since I placed my order, I was entitled to that price. He sent me the deal, in writing, signed by his Sales Manager and Dealership Owner that afternoon.

I take delivery of my car Feb 28, a 2SS/RS LS3 Vert, complete, out the door for $44,220!!!!! Im saving $850 under MSRP, but nearly.making it up in ad fees etc... but still, i think I.did really well.

There's still a few honest ones out there!!!!

What all options did you get?
I got a 2SS ($39,650+$850 destination charge), RS package ($1,300), IOM paint ($325), IOM interior ($500), Rally stripes ($470) and front plate ($15; told the dealer I didn't want it but he said in TX they have to sell it to me, so I told him to not install it just throw it in the trunk) for a total of $43,110 MSRP. If i remember correctly i think he said total out the door was going to be $45,900.

I see people always saying $XXX over invoice. My car's invoice is $39942.50, which would be about $42,540 out the door. Do you think I could still try to get them to come down from MSRP?

SUX2BU 02-21-2011 01:36 AM

Uh oh! Looks like I am eligible for the GM college student discount (https://www.gmcollegediscount.com/ip-vpp/)! Instead of $43,110 MSRP i should be able to get my car for the GM preffered pricing $41,852.16! With TT&L that should be $44,570 out the door! Which is about $1,330 less than i was expecting, WOO HOO looks like that just paid for 1/4 of my mods!

Drago77 02-21-2011 07:35 AM

Mine is a 2SS/RS LS3... all.other toys (stripes, gfx) will be installed myself. So here's my breakdown:
MSRP-$41,800
INVOICE (plus $50)- $40,927
FEES- $767
SALES TAX- $2511

"FEES" break down to:
battery fee- $1.50
Doc fees- $485 (this one I question a little)
Electronic.Filing- $24
Lemon Law- $2.00
Registration- $250
Tires - $2.00

Basically, im coming in about $850 under MSRP, but it gets absorbed in the fees.... with the exception of the seemingly high "doc fees", everything else seems legit.

Double check all those discounts... I thought I was eligible for the USAA discount, however the.convertible is the ONE GM vehicle that is excluded right now...

el ess A 02-21-2011 07:46 AM

Tax is 2511?? Ouch. We pay a 6 or 7% SC sales tax rate up to $300 maximum. That saves a ton when you buy a new car.

That tell you one thing and do another on the markup stuff is what led me to Eric Hall in Texas. Will NOT do you wrong. Great to deal with and highly recommended.

dcfan22 02-21-2011 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drago77 (Post 2867686)
Mine is a 2SS/RS LS3... all.other toys (stripes, gfx) will be installed myself. So here's my breakdown:
MSRP-$41,800
INVOICE (plus $50)- $40,927
FEES- $767
SALES TAX- $2511

"FEES" break down to:
battery fee- $1.50
Doc fees- $485 (this one I question a little)
Electronic.Filing- $24
Lemon Law- $2.00
Registration- $250
Tires - $2.00

Basically, im coming in about $850 under MSRP, but it gets absorbed in the fees.... with the exception of the seemingly high "doc fees", everything else seems legit.

Double check all those discounts... I thought I was eligible for the USAA discount, however the.convertible is the ONE GM vehicle that is excluded right now...

Good deal minus the Doc Fee - Pretty high. I live in Iowa and the 4 dealerships I talked with prior to ordering were all going to sell for MSRP - Tried getting Gm Supplier pricing through my Uncle - no go - Tried getting the Credit Union preferred pricing - no go.

So I go mine for MSRP + $45 doc fee + %5 tax and title.

Nutbutt 02-21-2011 07:51 AM

I got mine for $1K under the GM preferred pricing. This is the second Camaro I bought from them in less than 2 years which didn't hurt. :headbang:
Got the Coupe in 09 at MSRP. Wasn't happy about it but after seeing people paying $5K over MSRP I learned to deal with it. ;) Never thought I would ever pay MSRP for a car !

dcfan22 02-21-2011 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SUX2BU (Post 2867412)
Uh oh! Looks like I am eligible for the GM college student discount (https://www.gmcollegediscount.com/ip-vpp/)! Instead of $43,110 MSRP i should be able to get my car for the GM preffered pricing $41,852.16! With TT&L that should be $44,570 out the door! Which is about $1,330 less than i was expecting, WOO HOO looks like that just paid for 1/4 of my mods!

I qualified for the Credit Union preferred pricing About $1300 off MSRP. Dealer said no way since they eat most of this and he thought I should feel lucky for getting it at MSRP. I have never paid more than Invoice on the 6 new vehicles I have bought - so I don't feel too lucky, but at the same time I have never ordered a new model before either. Standard invoice isn't that much under MSRP on these, so I don't feel too bad - especially since I'll be driving a CONVERTIBLE CAMARO!!! :drinking:

Good luck and remember - they work for you!

dcfan22 02-21-2011 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nutbutt (Post 2867726)
I got mine for $1K under the GM preferred pricing. This is the second Camaro I bought from them in less than 2 years which didn't hurt. :headbang:
Got the Coupe in 09 at MSRP. Wasn't happy about it but after seeing people paying $5K over MSRP I learned to deal with it. ;) Never thought I would ever pay MSRP for a car !

Nice deal - I agree I have never paid MSRP or even thought about prior to this. I can live with it though -

My mom texted me yesterday from Phoenix and she has seen two Convertibles on the road there. Shouldn't be long!

Drago77 02-21-2011 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SUX2BU (Post 2867373)
What all options did you get?
I got a 2SS ($39,650+$850 destination charge), RS package ($1,300), IOM paint ($325), IOM interior ($500), Rally stripes ($470) and front plate ($15; told the dealer I didn't want it but he said in TX they have to sell it to me, so I told him to not install it just throw it in the trunk) for a total of $43,110 MSRP. If i remember correctly i think he said total out the door was going to be $45,900.

I see people always saying $XXX over invoice. My car's invoice is $39942.50, which would be about $42,540 out the door. Do you think I could still try to get them to come down from MSRP?

How did you come up with that price for invoice? (Im assuming that was NOT including all your options, right?)

If you put any type of deposit down, its really up to your dealer if he's willing to negotiate, you kind of lose the ability to "walk away" without losing your deposit. However, if you didn't, your still open to going elsewhere, so just do your research, see if you can find better nearby and tell your dealer.

I got really lucky with my deal, I was just looking for MSRP and the manager offered me the current Camaro promotion, even being a vert. I locked that down in writing immediately. Most places around here are charging $2500-$5000 over sticker...

Drago77 02-21-2011 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcfan22 (Post 2867731)
Standard invoice isn't that much under MSRP on these, so I don't feel too bad - especially since I'll be driving a CONVERTIBLE CAMARO!!! :drinking:

Good luck and remember - they work for you!

I was really excited and expecting more from the invoice/msrp from theses... every little bit helps, but I definitely expected to save more than $850 off MSRP!

el ess A 02-21-2011 08:12 AM

Even the GM employee "EVA" is only $250 on 2011 Camaros on top of any supplier pricing. Not a huge difference.

SUX2BU 02-21-2011 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drago77 (Post 2867751)
How did you come up with that price for invoice? (Im assuming that was NOT including all your options, right?)

If you put any type of deposit down, its really up to your dealer if he's willing to negotiate, you kind of lose the ability to "walk away" without losing your deposit. However, if you didn't, your still open to going elsewhere, so just do your research, see if you can find better nearby and tell your dealer.

I got really lucky with my deal, I was just looking for MSRP and the manager offered me the current Camaro promotion, even being a vert. I locked that down in writing immediately. Most places around here are charging $2500-$5000 over sticker...

That is will ALL the options i picked. 2SS convertible with no options invoice is $36,874.50 + $850 destination charge. Add the Rs package invoice of $1105 and your car should have an invoice of $38,829.50.

Got the prices here http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122191