Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Will LS3 aftermarket parts work with L99? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14890)

Isaacnc 03-06-2009 09:23 AM

Will LS3 aftermarket parts work with L99?

Hey guys,
I am getting a L99 (automatic) Camaro SS and I was wondering if the LS3 aftermarket parts will work and fit for my SS or are they going to make seperate parts for LS3 & L99. What do yall think/know?

GTAHVIT 03-06-2009 09:29 AM

I think you will have to be careful with any valve train modifications. As the valve setup on the L99 is set up for the AFM. Otherwise you should be pretty safe with LS3 aftermarket parts.

JJ#48Racing 03-06-2009 12:54 PM

Short answer is some will, some won't. Most of the different parts are in the valvetrain.

CamaroSpike23 03-06-2009 03:20 PM

bolt-ons will all interchange. actual engine modification, no.

meaning, CAI, exhaust, headers, t/b, fuel injectors, etc will all interchange.

cams, rockers, heads, etc will need to be specific for the L99

mike@newera 03-06-2009 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 (Post 324041)
bolt-ons will all interchange. actual engine modification, no.

meaning, CAI, exhaust, headers, t/b, fuel injectors, etc will all interchange.

cams, rockers, heads, etc will need to be specific for the L99

For the most part, this will be true depending on the internal component. Stay tuned, we just ordered our project Camaro 2ss for testing, which will include product development for this platform (specifically the Auto with AFM/VVT) as we have done with the G8GT and then some.

meanmike 03-06-2009 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike@newera (Post 324879)
For the most part, this will be true depending on the internal component. Stay tuned, we just ordered our project Camaro 2ss for testing, which will include product development for this platform (specifically the Auto with AFM/VVT) as we have done with the G8GT and then some.

How do you find the time? Your alway's on g8 board and now here.

camaro1 03-06-2009 10:16 PM

you can always delete the afm and vvt on your l99 and convert it to ls3/2 parts, pretty simple swap and with software like hp tuners or efi-live you can delete out the afm/vvt from the ecm

my L99 is coming out right away and a LS3 is going in!

Zabo 03-07-2009 12:18 AM

How does the AFM work? Is the crank split when the cylinders shut off, or is the EFI and valves deactivated in the valvetrain and fuel delivery system during AFM mode? If so it'd just be a valvetrain swap, and ECM recalibration as you said, correct?

Gentry78 03-07-2009 03:52 AM

so the rockers are different on th l99 so aftermarket ls3 rockers will not work, correct?,anyone know why this is, is it because of the afm?

camaro1 03-07-2009 07:33 AM

here is what you need to do to eliminate the afm/vvt and turn your l99 into a ls3 with your choice of camshaft

-choose a cam(any LSx 3 bolt)
-Get the correct length pushrods for your cam(LSx engines have non adjustable rocker arms and the lifter pre-load is set by using longer or shorter pushrods)
-get valve springs to match your cam(pac1218 or pac1518 are great beehive springs and are a direct swap)
-swap the cam sprocket(LS2 with 4x)
-swap the front cover(LS2/LS3 will work)
-swap the lifters(LS2/3/7)
-swap the lifter retainers(LS2/3/7)
-swap the valley cover (LS2/3 will work as long as it has the o-ring's to block off the afm towers in the valley)

buy hp tuners or efi live or have someone dyno tune and remove the afm/vvt from the ecm

ZZcamaro 03-07-2009 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camaro1 (Post 325398)
here is what you need to do to eliminate the afm/vvt and turn your l99 into a ls3 with your choice of camshaft

-choose a cam(any LSx 3 bolt)
-Get the correct length pushrods for your cam(LSx engines have non adjustable rocker arms and the lifter pre-load is set by using longer or shorter pushrods)
-get valve springs to match your cam(pac1218 or pac1518 are great beehive springs and are a direct swap)
-swap the cam sprocket(LS2 with 4x)
-swap the front cover(LS2/LS3 will work)
-swap the lifters(LS2/3/7)
-swap the lifter retainers(LS2/3/7)
-swap the valley cover (LS2/3 will work as long as it has the o-ring's to block off the afm towers in the valley)

buy hp tuners or efi live or have someone dyno tune and remove the afm/vvt from the ecm

Or buy an LS3 car!

mike@newera 03-07-2009 09:46 AM

No, the rockers are the same, the lifters are different. We are getting the automatic because it has VVT/AFM, we developed camshafts to work with AFM aready, for the camaro we are going to get rid of AFM and create some custm cams to work with VVT, there are some pretty big advantages to having this VVT option, and I think that with tuning the VVT will make more power everywhere.

CamaroSpike23 03-07-2009 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike@newera (Post 325517)
No, the rockers are the same, the lifters are different. We are getting the automatic because it has VVT/AFM, we developed camshafts to work with AFM aready, for the camaro we are going to get rid of AFM and create some custm cams to work with VVT, there are some pretty big advantages to having this VVT option, and I think that with tuning the VVT will make more power everywhere.

awesome. thanks for the heads up. now I know who to hit up with questions for tuning with AFM.

1320junkie 03-07-2009 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZZcamaro (Post 325440)
Or buy an LS3 car!

:word: