Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Hard Wiring Radar and Phone charger units (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=293123)

con10der 05-02-2013 11:18 PM

Hard Wiring Radar and Phone charger units

I have a request from any sparkies out there.

I want to hard wire my Radar detector to a "hot" (always on) power source in my overhead console. Can someone instruct me on this task? Is there a source there to tap into? Can you tell me the color/polarity of the wires I require?

Same question, although for Phone charger and power source from lower center console.

Any input would be greatly appreciated...Thanks!

CyberPunk223 05-03-2013 07:43 PM

It's actually easier to run a power line down to your fuse box for the radar detector and use a fuse tap in than it is to take apart that dumb overhead console. I happened To take apart the overhead console just to put a switch in for my radar detector which was pretty dumb because it wasn't worth the effort.

rather than hard wire a phone charger why not just get a PDIM USB connection so you can charge & play music too?

if you really want there are lots of threads that show how to take apart both of those things.

mattyjman 05-03-2013 08:16 PM

do you have power mirror? if so, you can tap right there.

otherwise, getting the overhead console off is a pain if you haven't done it once before.. it will stump you for an hour, easy...

sounds like cyberpunk has a solid suggestion... dpending on where you mount the radar (i prefer mine higher, others are lower) run your wire around the headliner (windshield if lower), down the a pillar, to the fusebox on the drivers side.

ec1990 05-03-2013 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberPunk223 (Post 6502228)
It's actually easier to run a power line down to your fuse box for the radar detector and use a fuse tap in than it is to take apart that dumb overhead console. I happened To take apart the overhead console just to put a switch in for my radar detector which was pretty dumb because it wasn't worth the effort.

rather than hard wire a phone charger why not just get a PDIM USB connection so you can charge & play music too?

if you really want there are lots of threads that show how to take apart both of those things.

I used the drivers side fuse box Inside the cabin. Just used a tap a fuse connector for that and a dash cam. Works like a charm, ran it up the a pillar and headliner.

Meister 05-03-2013 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ec1990 (Post 6502385)
I used the drivers side fuse box Inside the cabin. Just used a tap a fuse connector for that and a dash cam. Works like a charm, ran it up the a pillar and headliner.

Did the same for my V1. There is a pretty good DIY write up for that posted here somewhere.

CyberPunk223 05-03-2013 08:52 PM

I just look up the PDIM, it costs more than I though It did, by the time you get your HU flashed your into it almost $200... it's hard to justify spending that much for a phone charger. there are lots of other USB interface devices, PAC makes a bunch of them,, they are cheaper but quality may not be as good.

Aubrey64 05-04-2013 02:55 AM

This is how I did mine, I made a DIY thread on it. It works perfectly for my iphone, feel free to PM me if you have any questions

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282062

Camaroshark 05-11-2013 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by con10der (Post 6498926)
I have a request from any sparkies out there.

I want to hard wire my Radar detector to a "hot" (always on) power source in my overhead console. Can someone instruct me on this task? Is there a source there to tap into? Can you tell me the color/polarity of the wires I require?

Same question, although for Phone charger and power source from lower center console.

Any input would be greatly appreciated...Thanks!

I did the mirror tap wire for the powered mirror. I'm using the passport ... :emoticon6:through for the DIY for the mirror tap wire and hard wiring the radar detector