Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Question (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=303071)

aggieguy13 06-20-2013 06:00 PM

Question

whats the big a** thing sticking out of the oil "inlet"?

The Stig 06-20-2013 06:16 PM

The 1LE oil separator you mean?

PalmerGA 06-20-2013 06:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by aggieguy13 (Post 6694975)
whats the big a** thing sticking out of the oil "inlet"?

Could you be more specific and perhaps provide a picture of the "big a** thing" in question?

This thing?

aggieguy13 06-20-2013 06:21 PM

yup. i mean i know what the cover is, how the silencers work. as i have encountered them before. but this is my first "new" car and first car since technology really started to "become" cars

The Stig 06-20-2013 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aggieguy13 (Post 6695048)
yup.

That's your oil separator. Basically an OEM catch can for the clean side of the system.

aggieguy13 06-20-2013 06:31 PM

so whats the deal with "catch can" i read a little about em just to get an idea, and i get the purpose and function, but are the OEM ones really that horrible that everyone adds one. Or is it really just like a K&N, doesnt really do much, but one more low grade addition people can add when there listing off mods?

PalmerGA 06-20-2013 08:32 PM

Catch Cans catch the sludgy stuff on the "dirty side" of the PCV Valve, before it is routed back into the engine via the intake for reburning (anti-pollution thing). Some say it isn't necessary but I, and many others here, would rather that crap did not go back into your engine gunking up the valves and intake manifold. If you don't mind that crud going into your engine... don't get one. Personally, I wouldn't be without one.

axis 06-20-2013 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aggieguy13 (Post 6695087)
so whats the deal with "catch can" i read a little about em just to get an idea, and i get the purpose and function, but are the OEM ones really that horrible that everyone adds one. Or is it really just like a K&N, doesnt really do much, but one more low grade addition people can add when there listing off mods?

There is no OEM catchcan on the Camaro EXCEPT for the 1LE. The way it's always been taken care of is to reroute the blowby into the intake so it can be run through the engine and burned off in the combustion chamber. The one on the 1LE is just for the clean side so the dirty side is still routed through the intake and into the combustion chambers. The problem is, that oily residue deposits the oil droplets in the intake manifold. If you want to have your intake covered in oil and to have pools of oil form over the life of your car, then add it to the list of mods you think are worthless and don't do it. :thumb:

The Stig 06-21-2013 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axis (Post 6695689)
There is no OEM catchcan on the Camaro EXCEPT for the 1LE. The way it's always been taken care of is to reroute the blowby into the intake so it can be run through the engine and burned off in the combustion chamber. The one on the 1LE is just for the clean side so the dirty side is still routed through the intake and into the combustion chambers. The problem is, that oily residue deposits the oil droplets in the intake manifold. If you want to have your intake covered in oil and to have pools of oil form over the life of your car, then add it to the list of mods you think are worthless and don't do it. :thumb:

Yea sorry if my saying "OEM catch can" caused any confusion, just the 1LE has it.

aggieguy13 06-21-2013 11:27 AM

Well I have a '13 1SS/RS 1LE

The Stig 06-21-2013 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aggieguy13 (Post 6697610)
Well I have a '13 1SS/RS 1LE

Then what you have is the 1LE oil separator :thumbsup:

PoorMansCamaro 06-21-2013 12:08 PM

I was gonna say the dip stick.