Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Convertible Forum (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=133)
-   -   Spare tire solution for Vert? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=514679)

Indydriver 11-28-2017 08:25 AM

Spare tire solution for Vert?

Has anyone come up with a spare tire solution for the Gen5 convertible? I’ve had one flat-unfortunately on the interstate-so I couldn’t stop immediately and ruined the tire. The goo machine didn’t work. Nearly got towed. Luckily I was 10 minutes from home and got my wife to pick me up, then retrieve a wheel from my second set plus all the changing tools and jack. What a hassle. I’m afraid to take it out of town. Ideally, there would be a mini-spare that fits with jack etc.

Has anyone solved this problem?

samman11 11-28-2017 10:16 AM

Yes, it's called AAA. Flat tire = flatbed tow-truck. I'm not fooling around with that contraption in the trunk to seal the tire. I have full towing coverage on my extended warranty as well as my auto insurance.

Deputy347k9 11-28-2017 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indydriver (Post 9990820)
Has anyone come up with a spare tire solution for the Gen5 convertible? I’ve had one flat-unfortunately on the interstate-so I couldn’t stop immediately and ruined the tire. The goo machine didn’t work. Nearly got towed. Luckily I was 10 minutes from home and got my wife to pick me up, then retrieve a wheel from my second set plus all the changing tools and jack. What a hassle. I’m afraid to take it out of town. Ideally, there would be a mini-spare that fits with jack etc.

Has anyone solved this problem?

I also have a GEN5 convertible and I do have an actual spare tire! Yes it's a doughnut type spare but it's also factory. GM code NYD. From the factory it came with the jack/wrench. I have occasionally seen them on EBay and one or two in the members for sale section. I have 20" factory wheels.

With that said, I also have a set of 21" wheels that I will run occasionally for a "different" look. When I run those I remove the doughnut spare and put the inflator kit in it's place.

Whoomba 11-28-2017 05:32 PM

Mine came with one.

jailcop064 11-28-2017 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whoomba (Post 9991437)
Mine came with one.

Wonder why you have one . I have a 2014 2LT RS and my battery is in the trunk.

Screwblower 11-28-2017 08:40 PM

I got a tire plug kit in the glove box. The fronts will turn out far enough to do a road side plug , I think. I hope.
As far as the rear hopefully I can get it. I keep needle nose pliers and flat head screwdriver rolled up in a rag in the trunk.
I got the goo machine, no spare.

SS PANTHER 11-29-2017 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samman11 (Post 9990927)
Yes, it's called AAA. Flat tire = flatbed tow-truck. I'm not fooling around with that contraption in the trunk to seal the tire. I have full towing coverage on my extended warranty as well as my auto insurance.

:word:plus a can of fix a flat.

Indydriver 11-29-2017 04:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samman11 (Post 9990927)

NOT! So your car is towed. Now what? Your trip is disrupted until you get a new tire on that wheel. I want a self-contained system I can implement myself so that I can keep driving.

Indydriver 11-29-2017 04:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deputy347k9 (Post 9990953)
I also have a GEN5 convertible and I do have an actual spare tire! Yes it's a doughnut type spare but it's also factory. GM code NYD. From the factory it came with the jack/wrench. I have occasionally seen them on EBay and one or two in the members for sale section. I have 20" factory wheels.

With that said, I also have a set of 21" wheels that I will run occasionally for a "different" look. When I run those I remove the doughnut spare and put the inflator kit in it's place.

Thank you. This is what I am looking for. Will check with dealer.

SS PANTHER 11-29-2017 06:06 AM

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126448

Deputy347k9 11-29-2017 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SS PANTHER (Post 9991940)

Thank you very much for the link! I didn't see that nor did I even think about it. I have a 2014 2LT/RS that did come with the factory spare and of course 20" wheels. Recently upgraded to the Brembo brakes and NEVER once did I think about my spare fitting over the new brakes!

As I posted earlier I do also have a set of 21" factory Camaro wheels that I will run occasionally, for those I purchased an inflator kit out of a salvage yard for $50.00 shopped. So when I run those I change over from the standard spare tire.

Using your link I jumped over to EBay and purchased a spare tire wheel adapter for $44.99 shipped. May never use it but just in case! There are several adapters like this on EBay but I believe this is the better deal. One listed goes for nearly $100.00!

Again, thank you very much for turning on the light switch!

Deputy347k9 11-29-2017 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indydriver (Post 9991911)
Thank you. This is what I am looking for. Will check with dealer.

I believe your going to find going to find it would be easier to purchase a new car from the dealership then the spare setup. They are expensive to say the least.

There is another Forum member that has an unused complete setup for sale. Check the "Members Classified" section under wheels and tires. Might be the best way to go.

And... if you upgrade your brakes don't forget the adapter that will be needed.

Good luck.
Larry

'11 cyber grey vert 11-29-2017 11:45 AM

If dealer can't help....I remember reading someone had purchased a spare tire kit from www.modernspare.com

let us know what you find out.

samman11 11-29-2017 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indydriver (Post 9991910)
NOT! So your car is towed. Now what? Your trip is disrupted until you get a new tire on that wheel. I want a self-contained system I can implement myself so that I can keep driving.

Keep on driving??!! You have a Camaro, do you really want to drive around on a spare donut tire for long? Even a full-sized spare will not always match the tire that needs to be replaced. Remember the fronts and backs are different sizes. Keep on Driving??? You need to get to a tire store anyway you look at it. I'd rather do it from the front of tow truck then screwing around, possibly in the dark, trying to put a spare tire on only to have to drive to the tire shop myself. I guess one can try and use that thing they gave us in the trunk to hopefully fix the flat temporarily, but I wonder how easy it is to use.