Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Injen Power Flow Short Ram or AEM Cold Air Intake? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121486)

lamontoclese 12-25-2010 09:56 PM

Injen Power Flow Short Ram or AEM Cold Air Intake?

I'm looking into getting a cold air intake but I'm stuck between these two. I can't decide if I want to go with the AEM true CAI or the Injen Power Flow Short Ram CAI. I'm looking into the performance aspect mostly but I also want to keep it street and emissions legal. I live in CA.

Cyber Gray 12-26-2010 12:50 AM

I think that the short arm didnt do well on dyno as the true Injen intake.

Havent heard yet about the AEM on V6 but with V8 it was good.

a red maro 12-26-2010 01:25 AM

yeah i think that scrming did a whole study on all the CAI's i wanna say that the true injen CAI dyno'd something around an 18 hp gain if my memory serves me correctly.

jagan323 12-26-2010 02:55 AM

I don't think Scrming did tests on ALL the intakes... I think he got to experiment with a few. Janetty Racing did a good number of tests, dynos on most intakes out to date. No news on the AEM one for V6 though.

And Red, the Injen CAI gains like 5rwhp ish. "16hp" is stated on the box though.

jagan323 12-26-2010 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lamontoclese (Post 2669298)
I'm looking into getting a cold air intake but I'm stuck between these two. I can't decide if I want to go with the AEM true CAI or the Injen Power Flow Short Ram CAI. I'm looking into the performance aspect mostly but I also want to keep it street and emissions legal. I live in CA.

Is there a reason you want the Short Ram intake for Injen but a CAI for the AEM? Why not just get the Injen CAI? =o So far, the Injen CAI has been the most powerful, but I think tied with Cold air Inductions CAI.

lamontoclese 12-26-2010 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jagan323 (Post 2669767)
Is there a reason you want the Short Ram intake for Injen but a CAI for the AEM? Why not just get the Injen CAI? =o So far, the Injen CAI has been the most powerful, but I think tied with Cold air Inductions CAI.

I was just curious to hear others' opinions on the two different styles. And the true cold air intake being closer to the ground scares me considering the rain (then again I understand it would take a considerable amount of water to cause problems).

JBruno88 12-26-2010 11:18 PM

I personally have the Injen Short Ram and love it. I've seen a noticeable difference when driving the car. Gas mileage is slightly better as well. Personally the only reason I would go for AEM CAI would be because the styling of the air filter box looks a bit better.

John VS 12-27-2010 12:43 AM

Pretty sure test results on the Injen CAI showed 17HP avg gain at the wheel. The Injen short ram was closer to 10-12 at the wheel but all of that was over 4K RPM. I haven't seen dyno results on the AEM but I'd like to.

Okay, found it. Here are the numbers on the AEM. Looks good. Personally, I'm too nervous about rolling through standing water to buy one of the true CAIs. That would make for a very bad day.

Cyber Gray 12-27-2010 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John VS (Post 2671605)
Pretty sure test results on the Injen CAI showed 17HP avg gain at the wheel. The Injen short ram was closer to 10-12 at the wheel but all of that was over 4K RPM. I haven't seen dyno results on the AEM but I'd like to.

Okay, found it. Here are the numbers on the AEM. Looks good. Personally, I'm too nervous about rolling through standing water to buy one of the true CAIs. That would make for a very bad day.

Me too John!!

Survived 2 major Cyclones so far , and I hate to get wet again!

WiccaJew 12-27-2010 02:06 AM

I just got my AEM intake in. I will let you know when I install it and dyno it.

a red maro 12-27-2010 02:46 AM

Quote:

yeah been there and done that, not with my camaro but the car that i had before. That day felt like the worst day in my life seeing my car on the wrecker with a whole in the block.

mrray13 12-27-2010 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lamontoclese (Post 2671463)
I was just curious to hear others' opinions on the two different styles. And the true cold air intake being closer to the ground scares me considering the rain (then again I understand it would take a considerable amount of water to cause problems).

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by a red maro (Post 2671710)
yeah been there and done that, not with my camaro but the car that i had before. That day felt like the worst day in my life seeing my car on the wrecker with a whole in the block.

You'd have to drive through 22" of standing water, completely submerging the filter, to worry about hydrolock with the long tube Injen. No offense, but you'd either have to be a complete idiot, or suffer an act of God, in order to do that. In daily driving, even in rain, you are fine with the Injen, and for added safety, the hydrosock works flawlessly.

As to a short version being safer, the one and only time any of my motors ingested water was through an AirRaid in my slightly lifted 04 Silverado. Of course, the motor was completely submerged in the hole I was in, thus covering the filter.

It can happen, and chances are probably close to the same, for both types of intakes. One just has to be ignorant one time, drive into something they shouldn't and then cause an issue.

its a syn 12-27-2010 09:56 AM

3 Attachment(s)
i did the long tube injen and love the power ,sound of it!!! have a rain sheild but have not used it but keep it in the glove box for a cloud burst highly doubtful i will even need it then as it is tucked up and protected very good. search jannetty racing they did V6 CAI testing on 4 brands,good guys to work with. long tube will take longest to install not brain surgury though. about hour and half maybe. did i mention i luv the sound of mine lol!!!

rtcat600man 12-27-2010 11:12 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Injen long tube. Great instructions for the install. Great HP gains.