Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   hit a tree (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252783)

pipedmxz600 09-28-2012 07:27 PM

hit a tree

3 Attachment(s)
Last weekend I was in Maine for a wedding and let a friend of mine drive my car. He lost control at 30-35 mph and ended up hitting a tree. No serious injuries. I fractured my nose and got a few stitches but nothing major. My question is if the car will be totaled or repairable. The driver side tire is pushed out a few inches, the shock rubs the tire and the upper shock mount hits the hood. There airbags didnt deploy (not sure why, the dashboard did a number to my face). Im not completely sure how much damage there is. An estimator finally looked at it today after it sat in Maine all week while im back in CT. I wont hear from the insurance company until "sometime next week" but last time they said that it took 7 days. Just curious what anyone thinks

midnighter 09-28-2012 07:35 PM

Damn!!!!

bcguy 09-28-2012 07:36 PM

That's sucks. Sad for you

pumpkinrancho 09-28-2012 07:46 PM

My guess is , no its not totaled. Also my guess on why the airbag did not go off if your face hit the dash you probably did not have your seat belt on which the car would know and not set the air bag.

BlackM6RS/SS 09-28-2012 07:48 PM

This is why I don't let friends drive my car... Only dad or brothers and ADM.
Looks totaled. Glad you two are ok!

Run4two 09-28-2012 07:48 PM

TOTAL Maybe not, I just reread. No airbags deployed - Not totaled!
Final verdict. Over and Out!!!!!

1SSFever 09-28-2012 07:49 PM

I wouldn't want to keep it, sorry if your insurance company decides to fix it. I would hate being stuck with it or trying to sell it after that went on. Try to get a real high estimate, don't settle for less than 100% new suspension components on that left side and also the sway bar maybe the steering rack, tires. You car needs to go to the body shop, and the service shop.

Airbags didn't go off because friend kinda just peeled the fender off your car. Another foot to the right and been much better.

jd10013 09-28-2012 07:50 PM

I'd say no, isn't totaled. but it's hard to say. all the stuff that is bent up can easily be cut out and replaced. from there is a few panels, some suspension components and trim. won't be cheap, but you'd need upwards of 15k in damage to total it, more if you have state farm. and it doesn't look like quite that much.

1SSFever 09-28-2012 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pumpkinrancho (Post 5633342)
My guess is , no its not totaled. Also my guess on why the airbag did not go off if your face hit the dash you probably did not have your seat belt on which the car would know and not set the air bag.

OMG, where do these people come from?

pipedmxz600 09-28-2012 07:58 PM

had no seat belt on. car hit a tree on the side first, then one in the front pretty hard. bounced back about a foot. tow driver had a hard time pulling it out. after it was out, we drove it to the truck and he said it looked like it wasnt driving straight at all. not sure if anything more severe is bent or not

jd10013 09-28-2012 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pipedmxz600 (Post 5633388)
had no seat belt on. car hit a tree on the side first, then one in the front pretty hard. bounced back about a foot. tow driver had a hard time pulling it out. after it was out, we drove it to the truck and he said it looked like it wasnt driving straight at all. not sure if anything more severe is bent or not

and that the thing, you can never know exactly how bad it is until you take it all apart. that's why most insurance companies total at 70% or so of replacement value.

1SSFever 09-28-2012 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pipedmxz600 (Post 5633388)

You should have worn your seat belt.

Yes, your left strut tower is f@#*d up....bent in and upward.

WONSS 09-28-2012 08:17 PM

IMO thats more than 30 -35, but who am I?...I would be surprized if they fix it...

HP Turbine 09-28-2012 08:20 PM

"hold my beer and watch this!" -Maine