Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Software upgrade to put 20" polished aluminum wheels/tires on LS? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34486)

craigger 07-27-2009 09:45 PM

Software upgrade to put 20" polished aluminum wheels/tires on LS?

Hello everyone and thanks in advance for any replies that you post. I was told by two separate dealers that I could replace the stock 18" black steel wheels/tires on the LS I bought with the 20" polished aluminum wheels/pirelli tires that come with the RS package (and an add'l approx. $500 upgrade cost) on the LT/SS. So, I order the wheel/tire package from Ebay and low and behold when I go to have them installed, the dealer says that the software upgrade has not been released by GM. The dealer searched on some website and the only authorized sizes for the LS are 18" (stock) and 21" (very expensive and I actually like the 20's a lot better), so I can't understand why the 20's won't work if 21's will. Does this have something to do with preset computer levels on the vehicle? This is very frustrating because my car is silver and would look so much better with the polished aluminum. Any ideas???

camaro1 07-27-2009 09:51 PM

measure the height of the stock tires and the new ones. you should find that the overall tire height is going to be the same or very close and should not cause any issues just bolting them on,, you really shouldnt need any programming

HeavyChevss 07-27-2009 10:11 PM

I'm sure I read in the dealer's sales guide that all of the wheel/tire packages had the same tire height. If they are the same height I don't see why a software change would be needed?
Rick

Parker 07-27-2009 10:20 PM

Even if the tread diameter is different on most new GM cars you can change the tire settings with a Tech 2 hooked up. So you should see if the size you want is available in the in the computer's settings.

stovt001 07-28-2009 01:35 PM

Tire height should be the same, so I don't see why it should be a problem. Just be prepared for a performance downgrade, as those 20 inch wheels are stupid heavy.

PieNsky 07-28-2009 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stovt001 (Post 731350)
Tire height should be the same, so I don't see why it should be a problem. Just be prepared for a performance downgrade, as those 20 inch wheels are stupid heavy.

And the LS has the 18" steelies so I would think that they would be heavier just going by the official weights of the Camaros, the LS weighs more than the LTs.

Dynabyte 07-28-2009 03:20 PM

The upgrade is probably to increase the max MPH limiter - It's 155 with the 20s but a lower amount with the 18s/19s (if I recall correctly). Another reason to get the RS package with V6s ;)

Gentry78 07-28-2009 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dynabyte (Post 731703)
The upgrade is probably to increase the max MPH limiter - It's 155 with the 20s but a lower amount with the 18s/19s (if I recall correctly). Another reason to get the RS package with V6s ;)

bingo i think you got it

jvmax 07-28-2009 10:44 PM

I ordered the LS with the same thinking. What I did was changed the tires in my driveway with a floor jack. Once I did this I got a "check tpms system" in the driver info system. Tried to manually reset the system to no avail. So I took the it to the dealership (not the one I bought it from). told them I had an error in the tpms system, they had to replace one bad sensor in the rear wheel before they could reset system. Service guy told me if anyone asked, I bought the car with the 20's on it. So, a $240 service was covered for free under warranty.

all in all, I suggest doing what i did.

tededfred 07-29-2009 04:44 PM

I don't know anything about the software update, but are any of you guys taking off the LS rims looking/willing to sell them? I need a set to put winter tires on! I'm sure we could work something out :)

:wave:

JohnnyBfromPeoria 07-29-2009 08:12 PM

What model do you have TedEdFred? Those 18"-ers will only fit a V-6 due to the brakes on an SS.

John B.

tededfred 07-30-2009 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyBfromPeoria (Post 736999)
What model do you have TedEdFred? Those 18"-ers will only fit a V-6 due to the brakes on an SS.

John B.

yep, i know about that. I have a 2LT on order, so the 18"s should fit :)