Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   First snow! (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=476360)

dustin0284 12-07-2016 08:05 PM

First snow!

Today we finally got a little bit of snowfall here in Kansas City, Missouri. The roads were treated heavily overnight as temperatures fell to the mid 20's today.
All we got was a dusting at best.

I washed the Camaro 2 days ago and it's been in the garage ever since. I'm hesitant to get it out, not because i'm not confident in my driving or it getting dirty, but because i'm NOT confident in others driving. I would rather someone run into my Silverado than run into my Camaro. For that reason only, it may not come out of the garage for awhile.

Gunmetal Speedster 12-07-2016 08:42 PM

That is the sole purpose I won't drive mine when it finally hits southwest Ohio. I know I can handle the car, it's the people around here who still try to drive like it's sunny and 75 out that worry me.

Jayjellyfish212 12-07-2016 09:11 PM

Between the salt they put on the roads to eat our cars up and other crappy drivers better to put it away for a lil bit when you can. I never drive mine in winter until this pass weekend the salt was washed away with heavy rain and then the roads dried up so I figured why not take a quick hott lap. Car should be a beast in 40deg with cold air sucking in the engine.
Well I learned that my car don't like the 40deg cold because a snow flake popped up on the dash and said drive safe may be ice..lol. and my tires just spun all over the place . First time I drove so slow like the police were following me.

rfopt 12-07-2016 09:47 PM

I just bought and received a winter tire and wheel setup and plan on mounting them tomorrow. I junked a beater early this year and now decided to use my Camaro year around. I primarily work from home but need to go to meetings once in a while. Very rarely do I absolutely need to drive somewhere while there is some snow on the roads, however, i will be ready when it happens. Also the summer tires lack of grip in very cold temperatures is nearly as much of motivation to buy winter tires.

Orange skid mark 12-08-2016 04:59 AM

I always drive my truck when there is a chance it will snow here. The drivers are just as laim in the rain too so usually if heavy rain is in the forecast I will take the truck then too. Plus, I get better visability with my truck being much higher. Other drivers suck here - I'm from the northeast and we know how to drive in any conditions.

drew peacock 12-08-2016 06:05 AM

plus 10c here today..totaly bizzare for december

myold88 12-08-2016 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rfopt (Post 9444057)
I just bought and received a winter tire and wheel setup and plan on mounting them tomorrow. I junked a beater early this year and now decided to use my Camaro year around. I primarily work from home but need to go to meetings once in a while. Very rarely do I absolutely need to drive somewhere while there is some snow on the roads, however, i will be ready when it happens. Also the summer tires lack of grip in very cold temperatures is nearly as much of motivation to buy winter tires.

I did the same thing. I had a 2006 Impala I bought new and kept it to use as a beater. After replacing
the Impala's Tie rods, Transmission, tires, etc it just didn't make any financial sense not to just drive the
Camaro winters. Also, after 7+ years there's NO rust showing on my SS. At that rate I'll be about 140 by
the time it needs any rust repair. LOL. Drive and enjoy imo.

ZED SLED 12-08-2016 07:14 AM

There's 3 kinds of people that drive in the snow.
The ones that drive too slow
The ones that drive too fast
And the rest of us who try to stay the hell out of the way of the other two.

CamaroFred 12-08-2016 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZED SLED (Post 9444355)
There's 3 kinds of people that drive.
The ones that drive too slow
The ones that drive too fast
And the rest of us who try to stay the hell out of the way of the other two.

Fixed it for you.

ZED SLED 12-08-2016 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CamaroFred (Post 9445003)
Fixed it for you.

lol, touche:thumb:

xc_SS/RS 12-08-2016 02:55 PM

With snow tires I usually pass everyone who's struggling for grip

Agree on the problem being everyone else on the road who thinks they're Ken Block and they can drift to work. I have a rule that if the snow is already at the bottom of the front bumper, and still coming down, I stay home. Not worth risking my car and especially my life to sit at a desk and then be told to leave. Plus I can go snowmobiling if I stay home!

Moto-Mojo 12-08-2016 11:04 PM

Rain for 7+ days in CA.:mad0260:

JLSuperfly 12-08-2016 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo (Post 9446196)
Rain for 7+ days in CA.:mad0260:

It should clear up by Sunday.

redcoats1976 12-09-2016 01:56 AM

getting cold here too,but it never really snows.