Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   My review of the Volant Cold Air Intake (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135051)

St33lsinger 03-15-2011 02:43 PM

My review of the Volant Cold Air Intake

1 Attachment(s)
I'd like to post my little review of the Volant.
I have heard and seen Volant CAI's in trucks and other off road vehicles for years. And really had a good feeling about getting one. Then I found a thread where more than one C5 members where having serious problems. Added to that, Volant didn't take part in Jannetty Racing Cold Air Intake testing. So anywho I had pretty much decided on not getting it.

Something the reader needs to understand I have a wife that seriously frowns on wasting money and the other part of that I don't have any to waste anyway. SO if I make a purchase it HAS to be a good one.

BUT, we have become really interested in showing our car off and with gas prices skyrocketing. (and me living 20 miles for town) We wanted to do something that looked good, worked well, and didn't cost an arm and leg.
We really liked the Vararam but the price about made me gag. SO I had decided to get a New Era Tube (make it look better) and a better drop in filter (help with power/MPG) and then chrome here and there. So I was looking on spending 160+ dollars. Not to bad...I was telling myself.

Then I found the posted from a new C5 member saying got a Volant CAI for $137.00 :confused0068: Holy cow could it be true??? SHould I take the chance of a CEL?? I got ahold of Vader and after a couple words of encouragement...DAMN THE TORPEDOS!!! I went ahead and got it...well after a quick phone call to the wife. Who to my surprise said "Get it." :confused0068:

After 5 days the box was waiting for me when I got home Friday. I quickly unpacked it. WOW this thing is HUGE!! But looked very nice. Frist thing I noticed...NO WRITTEN INSTRUCTIONS! just a CAD drawing. I'm pretty good at figuring things out...and this isn't like I'm building a space ship. :rolleyes:
The old one came out. Something interesting...not oil on the butterfly plate in the throttle body even though I don't have a catch can (yet lol) Anyway it had a TON of junk in box. I had just had it serviced 2 days ago. :mad0260:
Sorry I digress. So I started the install the box POPPED into place and then the tube went right in. Pretty simple.

Now I was really nervous with this next part. If it threw a CEL Tammy would kill me. So I started the car. She responded with a VROOOMMM. :D. So far so good I drove around the neighborhood slowly not wanting to rush anything. After 10 miles I crossed my fingures and put the hammer down.
THE BEAST CAME ALIVE!!:confused0068: With a sound that scared small animals and childern in the neighborhood. There was a big difference in horsepower!! So I parked it and waited for Tammy to get home. When she did she jumped in and said "Come on lets try it out." Thats my girl :D
She got on the highway and jumped on it. The BEAST responded and threw us in ours seats and roared down the highway. She looked over at me with a :D

So here we are 5 days and no CEL and my MPG testing (by info center) an increase of 2 mpg in town (45 mph) and 1 mpg highway (then again I drive 70)
And the car sounds and acts happy!

Etherij 03-15-2011 04:35 PM

Is it still available for $137.00? :D

Jayrcr3 03-15-2011 05:49 PM

If nothing else, its a good looking piece. Just getting a tube that doesn't have all those ugly boxes hanging off of it has to be worth 5Hp.

Etherij 03-15-2011 08:18 PM

Boooo! :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: Looks really cheapo anyways.

St33lsinger 03-16-2011 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Etherij (Post 2966368)
Boooo! :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: Looks really cheapo anyways.

Really? Looks alot like the many of the others in place. Honestly if I could have afforded it I would have got a Cold Air Inductions CAI.
I don't like the filter hanging off a tube and behind a screen wall. Added to that thier $300.00 to 400.00. If I did like that look I would have gone with Halltech. I just think the air boxes make for a cleaner engine compartment look. I mean look at Cold Air Inductions and AEM. IMO

And yes thier available (autoaccessoriesgarage.com) and by the accelleration alone I can feel there is WAY more the 5 HP added. I hope to have it dyno confirmed soon.

Etherij 03-16-2011 09:30 AM

I'll probably be buying this one or something very similar. I want a snug cover on the top. I saw an HP intake a few days ago and it looked like the intake tube was going to be flopping all over the place. :iono: It sat about 1.5" to 2 over the top of the air box or w/e.

St33lsinger 03-16-2011 10:11 AM

I think I saw the same one, your right seemed pretty flemzy.

The only thing about this might be good or bad depending on how you look at it. The box is one piece. This means you have to remove the whole box when checking your filter. BUT the filter attaches to the box and there is NO tube pass through gasket. (something else that could go bad)

axis 03-16-2011 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steelsinger (Post 2968632)
BUT the filter attaches to the box and there is NO tube pass through gasket. (something else that could go bad)

How can a rubber gasket around the intake pipe hole "go bad"? They're made that way to allow the tube to move around with the engine.

2ss black 03-16-2011 01:42 PM

i have a new era intake pipe for sale with a k&n drop in air filter for the stock air box pm me for price

spyderwebb 03-16-2011 02:39 PM

I enjoyed your story, thanks for sharing it.

I run an LMR, it was one of the first ones out, would probably not be my pick today but it works well enough and I don't want to spend another $400.

It's the carbon fiber version so it looks good and I can't complain about the engine response, I just like the look of the new closed box versions out now.

Yours looks great for the money you spent, best of luck to you and Tammy
:)

St33lsinger 03-16-2011 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axis (Post 2969589)
How can a rubber gasket around the intake pipe hole "go bad"? They're made that way to allow the tube to move around with the engine.

I'm was talking over time. Heat, grease, dirt and other stuff can make rubber and rubber like gaskets brittle. But I'm not an expert on what the gasket made of so...

St33lsinger 03-16-2011 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spyderwebb (Post 2969892)
I enjoyed your story, thanks for sharing it.

I run an LMR, it was one of the first ones out, would probably not be my pick today but it works well enough and I don't want to spend another $400.

It's the carbon fiber version so it looks good and I can't complain about the engine response, I just like the look of the new closed box versions out now.

Yours looks great for the money you spent, best of luck to you and Tammy
:)

Thanks man.

nancygrl 03-16-2011 06:20 PM

Where did you buy it for $137 ???

ron10 03-16-2011 06:31 PM

if it does the job,you made a good investment,i don't know much about that brand.i show my car a lot,so i wanted a little more bling.i installed the CAI inc.