Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Removal front sway bar for drag racing (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=460472)

PFL 07-19-2016 09:15 AM

Removal front sway bar for drag racing

I have searched, I see that the pilots Camaro drag by removing front sway bar. which improves performance by removing the front sway bar?

Motorboy8769 07-19-2016 09:45 PM

I unbolted mine if you are running skinnies it works great. I did notice with the stock front tires and street driving that it will follow grooves in the road big time and jerk the car around. Also a lot more body roll. As for the strip and slow mo videos it does seem to allow a lot better weight transfer

PFL 07-20-2016 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Motorboy8769 (Post 9212985)
I unbolted mine if you are running skinnies it works great. I did notice with the stock front tires and street driving that it will follow grooves in the road big time and jerk the car around. Also a lot more body roll. As for the strip and slow mo videos it does seem to allow a lot better weight transfer

Thank's man

Mr. Nasty 07-20-2016 03:08 PM

I removed mine over 4 years ago no issues with driving. But you will have more body roll on hard turns.

swiftkart 07-22-2016 12:01 PM

How much of an improvement in 60' or overall traction did you see MR. Nasty?

LahmannSS 07-28-2016 08:24 AM

I removed mine this year for drag racing....with BMR split drop springs (1.4" front and 1" rear) I have not seen much difference in handling. Like stated earlier it follows grooves in the road a little worse but overall not bad.

62nalide 07-29-2016 09:10 PM

3 years with it out mine

Pro Stock John 07-30-2016 11:46 AM

I don't have before/after, but the car weight transfers more.

Negatively affects handling as you would expect.

2NASSTY 08-01-2016 09:48 AM

My Car went the other way badly with sway bar disconnected. Tried it on both MT Street Radial II and new MT street Rs. Car could not hook at all.

GODZL1A 08-01-2016 01:14 PM

Maybe it's a mag ride thing?

Off subject are the M/T street R's better then the M/T street II's

Norm Peterson 08-01-2016 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GODZL1A (Post 9234111)

It's an IRS and rear cradle bushing stiffness thing.

In any event, losing the front sta-bar on an IRS car will not help you as much as removing the front bar on a stock-suspended stick axle car (stock suspended meaning most anything other than a ladder-bar car). Mostly all you get is the weight reduction off the nose.

Norm

2NASSTY 08-02-2016 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swiftkart (Post 9217521)
How much of an improvement in 60' or overall traction did you see MR. Nasty?

Quote:

Originally Posted by GODZL1A (Post 9234111)

Off subject are the M/T street R's better then the M/T street II's

Yes they are. The new street R's are basically a slick tire wall with new drag radial surface compound. Knocked .15 tenths off my 60' compared to Street Radial IIs. I believe there is more in it at a lower tire pressure according to M/T Tech that was helping me out with this new tire.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norm Peterson (Post 9234471)
It's an IRS and rear cradle bushing stiffness thing.

In any event, losing the front sta-bar on an IRS car will not help you as much as removing the front bar on a stock-suspended stick axle car (stock suspended meaning most anything other than a ladder-bar car). Mostly all you get is the weight reduction off the nose.

Norm

. Sounds about right Man. That definitely explains what it felt like with the front sway bar disconnected. Front nose came up nicely ready to hook. Rear suspension then unloads and I spun badly at various launch rpms and tire pressures. Nothing I tried could make this damn thing hook with sway bar disconnected.

Pro Stock John 08-02-2016 01:44 PM

I think taking off the sway bar helps even with IRS. My car works a little better.

Stick might be different. Got to keep the nose up with stick or u will unload the back.

dreyesforeal 08-02-2016 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2NASSTY (Post 9235393)
Yes they are. The new street R's are basically a slick tire wall with new drag radial surface compound. Knocked .15 tenths off my 60' compared to Street Radial IIs. I believe there is more in it at a lower tire pressure according to M/T Tech that was helping me out with this new tire. .

You got a link to the Mickey Thompson street r''s?? I got cooper rs3 wheels on right now but wanna look at the mt's. Want tires that look good AND can hook when it's time to get new tires.
The cooper's are great in rain tho I hope to not lose handling during normal street driving