Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   NY Times: G.M. Says Camaro Transmission Problem Is Fixed (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33468)

camaro5 07-21-2009 01:25 AM

NY Times: G.M. Says Camaro Transmission Problem Is Fixed

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/...0-Camaro-1.jpg

Quote:

General Motors has figured out what was causing failures of some 6-speed transmissions on its high-performance 2010 Camaro SS models, but the automaker is keeping it secret, said Adam Denison, a G.M. spokesman.

“I think they want to keep that one pretty close to their chest,” he said.

Mr. Denison said the failures of the output shaft, which was reported by Autoblog.com last week, occurred during standing-start, hard acceleration, with the engine at 5,000 to 6,000 revolutions per minute. He said about a dozen owners reported problems.

“It has been a very limited number,” he said. “It is not widespread.” He said the problem had been fixed.

The SS uses the 6.2 liter V-8 with a Tremec 6-speed manual transmission.

Mr. Denison said SS production at the Oshawa plant in Ontario was continuing, but a few cars were being held for inspection to make sure the problem had been resolved.

He said a recall was not necessary.
Smoke em if you got em!!

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2009...blem-is-fixed/

Countach 07-21-2009 01:26 AM

:drinking:

Zabo 07-21-2009 01:27 AM

More importantly: Why does the NY Times give a damn? :facepalm:

Jetsco 07-21-2009 01:29 AM

Great news! :clap:

BlueMarlin 07-21-2009 01:34 AM

i'm not much of a yay guy, but this one deserves it - yay

Camaro King 07-21-2009 01:39 AM

This is true! the problem was the input shaft blowing apart!
They will start shiping SS's again on aug.1 09...
They never did stop building!
Just put a hold on them.

TAG UR IT 07-21-2009 01:53 AM

Cool! So that means I can rev it up to 6k RPM's and DUMP THE CLUTCH!!!

:laugh:

I'm kidding....i would not recommend that to anyone....

LS3SSRS 07-21-2009 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TAG UR IT (Post 703948)
Cool! So that means I can rev it up to 6k RPM's and DUMP THE CLUTCH!!!

:laugh:

I'm kidding....i would not recommend that to anyone....

uhh, my thoughts exactly. been waiting to hammer on it lol
have fun :drinking:

JDBeck23 07-21-2009 02:42 AM

I think GM has a responsibility to inform us as to what exactly the problem was and how they intend to fix it.

I think it's a bit absurd that they are "holding the info close to their chest".

iwanttogofastNY 07-21-2009 05:39 AM

:w00t::happy0180:

rayhawk 07-21-2009 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDBeck23 (Post 703989)
I think GM has a responsibility to inform us as to what exactly the problem was and how they intend to fix it.

I think it's a bit absurd that they are "holding the info close to their chest".

I don't see how it matters, some of the parts are defective, they will replace those that are, do you really want to know if the shaft was machined wrong, or tempered wrong? I don't see how that knowledge would make any difference to the consumer. If it is going to break, it is going to happen long before your warranty is up, IMO.

Verio 07-21-2009 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDBeck23 (Post 703989)

I think GM's only responsibility is to sell you a damn car and warranty the repairs for 3 years/36k miles or 5years/100k.

Quit acting like you're OWED something from a car manufacturer.

camarolt76 07-21-2009 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rayhawk (Post 704074)
I don't see how it matters, some of the parts are defective, they will replace those that are, do you really want to know if the shaft was machined wrong, or tempered wrong? I don't see how that knowledge would make any difference to the consumer. If it is going to break, it is going to happen long before your warranty is up, IMO.

I agree!:thumbsup: I don't really need to know all the details. I only need to know that they have fixed the problem, and that my car will not need to be recalled.:thumbsup::chevy:

rich's 2SS 07-21-2009 06:14 AM

founf this on the web

Bring back in the bad old days of the original pony cars, when available tire traction from 78 and 70-series bias-ply tires was but a fraction of that offered through today’s Z-rated 50 and 45-series gumballs. When Junior picked up his ‘69 Camaro 396 from the showroom and promptly pulled a 5,000 RPM launch from the first stop sign, those glorifed bicycle tires on back spun readily, acting as a mechanical fuse for drivetrain parts that otherwise would have grenaded or twisted like taffy.

Oh, who am I kidding? Those old pony cars broke on a regular basis as well. Perhaps GM should just replace “6,000″ on the Camaro’s tachometer with “$6,000″. Maybe then those aging boomers would stop side-stepping the clutch pedal.

BTW, there’s nothing more ironic than seeing an new orange Camaro, bestriped and shod with massive rims, driving down the highway for 20 minutes with the left turn signal on…

— Paul