Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   3M Paint Defender or paint film (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=302765)

Motopsycho 06-19-2013 08:59 AM

3M Paint Defender or paint film

Has anyone used this new 3M Paint Defender system? I really want to get some kind of paint protection film for my 2010 SS, but I am debating whether I want to pay someone to put on the film or try it myself with this new paint defender stuff. I suppose I could always test it out on the wife's car first. :thumbup: I don't like the idea of handing over my car to someone for a day to put the film on the front end unless I know that they are a reputable establishment that respect's other people property. Ziebart sucks.

kmthor00 06-19-2013 11:57 AM

That "DIY" system can br found demonstrating on you tube. I personally just had the majority of my ZL1 done, was also unsure of the hop but checked him out good, lots of high end cars & also made him aware of the exact mileage when I dropped it off.

2ndtimess 06-19-2013 12:21 PM

Had the front of my corvette done works well but the film will scratch

Chevyman2 06-19-2013 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Motopsycho (Post 6688613)
Has anyone used this new 3M Paint Defender system? I really want to get some kind of paint protection film for my 2010 SS, but I am debating whether I want to pay someone to put on the film or try it myself with this new paint defender stuff. I suppose I could always test it out on the wife's car first. :thumbup: I don't like the idea of handing over my car to someone for a day to put the film on the front end unless I know that they are a reputable establishment that respect's other people property. Ziebart sucks.

I tried it on hood and rocker panels. After all was said and done the rocker panels were only 3m paint defender remained. I follow directions to the tee was not impressed.

LuvGen5 06-19-2013 01:01 PM

For your consideration, I have Avery Nano Fusion paint film on my RS. For the past 3 years, I'm thoroughly satisfied with the chip protection it is providing and it also protected the paint from a hit/run scrap on the front end. The paint film was peeled off to reveal an undamaged paint surface.

Motopsycho 06-19-2013 01:34 PM

I'd like to get the nose, hood, and mirrors done. I have ground FX on my car so I don't know if doing the rocker panels would be worthwhile. I suppose the lower rear quarters could also be an option. I know of one guy that does high end cars and exotics, so I would probably trust him more than anybody else in the area. What are the typical costs to get this done?

JimE 06-19-2013 08:08 PM

Varies by vendor, product, and what is covered. Typical cost is $250-1000.

I paid $500 (Ziebart) for the complete front (minus the hood), mirrors, and gill area.