Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   THROTTLE STICKING? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=297030)

Camaro588 05-22-2013 07:10 AM

THROTTLE STICKING?

I have had several issues during cold start ups, when in first gear the car just takes off on its own without me even giving any throttle. I actually have to push in the clutch and hit the brakes. Once I push in the clutch the and hit the brakes the RPM's climb down slowly. I have brought the car in three separate occasions, and have been told it the ECM learning how you drive..... I have had this car for over a year and cant see this being the case. If I let the car warm up for a bit it doesn't seem to do it, and the fact that its been in the upper 80's makes me think there is something totally wrong.

Chevyman2 05-22-2013 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camaro588 (Post 6573990)
I have had several issues during cold start ups, when in first gear the car just takes off on its own without me even giving any throttle. I actually have to push in the clutch and hit the brakes. Once I push in the clutch the and hit the brakes the RPM's climb down slowly. I have brought the car in three separate occasions, and have been told it the ECM learning how you drive..... I have had this car for over a year and cant see this being the case. If I let the car warm up for a bit it doesn't seem to do it, and the fact that its been in the upper 80's makes me think there is something totally wrong.

The throttle is computer controlled. Sounds like it idling up at startup mine does same thing. I just wait minute or so to give it time to idle back down before I take off.

Camaro588 05-22-2013 08:00 AM

Still think thats kind of a cop out, I have never owned a new that you should idle down, or else your car will take off out of control. LOL! It actually hit 3000 rpm before I was able to react, and hitting the brakes did absolutely nothing.

DuskSS 05-22-2013 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camaro588 (Post 6574137)
Still think thats kind of a cop out, I have never owned a new that you should idle down, or else your car will take off out of control. LOL! It actually hit 3000 rpm before I was able to react, and hitting the brakes did absolutely nothing.

No that is not normal at all.
My LS3 does nothing even like that.
Even on the coldest morning mine warms up at like 900rpm and never surges or moves the rpm at all.
And that is with a cam that requires the car to be warm before moving it.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

Chevrolet Customer Svc 05-22-2013 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camaro588 (Post 6573990)

Camaro588,

Sincere apologies for the cold start-up concerns. I know that must be a frustrating occurrence for you. I would like to assist you in getting this looked at. Feel free to PM me regarding this matter. I look forward to hearing from you.

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care

AbsoluteMayheM 05-22-2013 10:25 PM

I posted about my throttle sticking. It happened twice. I got home and found I was my rubber mats. There was a thick edge to the rubber floor mats and it would catch the peddle. I was able to recreate it at home with car off. I changed the mats.

But had I not messed around with it, I would have sworn it was the computer or something with the peddle.

Might not be your case, but thought I would say something.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Camaro588 05-23-2013 10:58 AM

its not sticking as much, more like a sudden surge in power, Its like the throttle is maybe out of position relative to the pedal. doesn't do it all the time, it more or less catches me off guard. Just worried one day it will surge forward, and I will hit someone or something. Its not like its a gradual momentum, will be about 15mph and then jump to 30. When I press the brakes pedal seems mushy, I actually push in the clutch and the rpms will stay at 3000rpm's and gradually come down. Did it once with neighbors kid standing at the corner, he actually turned around and looked to see what the hell was going on, as it sounds like I mashed the pedal to the floor. Calling the service dept at lunch and see if I can get them to actually see what they can do. I dont think they will do much as its hard to replicate it. I put in a the V-max throttle body hopping it might resolve something with that, but it still happens.

TooCool5 05-24-2013 10:51 AM

You may need to clean your throttle plate and check for sticking.
Happened to me a few times.