Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   My Camaro is pulling timing! (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92206)

Pro Street 06-28-2010 03:50 PM

My Camaro is pulling timing!

2SS/RS 6.2L L99 with A6. When I go WOT it pulls timing from a dig. I have TM out or I think I have it out and TC turn off! I am tunning with HPTuners. Any ideas? I was going to attach a log but it will not let me.

2SSCAMARO 06-28-2010 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pro Street (Post 2036712)
2SS/RS 6.2L L99 with A6. When I go WOT it pulls timing from a dig. I have TM out or I think I have it out and TC turn off! I am tunning with HPTuners. Any ideas? I was going to attach a log but it will not let me.

There are many things that can cause timing to get retarded. Burst KR at launch isw fairly common. Very warm intake air temps will cause timing to be pulled under WOT loads. Insufficient octane relative to the tune will be cause for timing retard. Poor quality fuel is another cause. Knock sensors correctly or incorrectly can cause the timing to be reduced (usually overkill too). Good logs with the proper parameters loggged should tell.

kelley@vectormotorsports 06-29-2010 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pro Street (Post 2036712)

Are you sure it is pulling timing? Many cars with the A6 will dive into the part of the timing table that many people do not change. For example at 1600 RPM and .64 grams/cyl of air there is only 9 degrees.

Try to modify the table at lower RPM levels and higher load levels and check it again. If you send me a scan I can tell you for sure. I can read any scan you send me, I don't know what software you are using.

DSteck 06-29-2010 12:06 PM

Aside from logging total advance... log all of the spark adders/retards to see what sources are pulling timing out.

What conditions are you seeing the timing get pulled out?... A log would help.

Pro Street 06-29-2010 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirk@VectorMotorsports (Post 2040174)
Are you sure it is pulling timing? Many cars with the A6 will dive into the part of the timing table that many people do not change. For example at 1600 RPM and .64 grams/cyl of air there is only 9 degrees.

Try to modify the table at lower RPM levels and higher load levels and check it again. If you send me a scan I can tell you for sure. I can read any scan you send me, I don't know what software you are using.

Sent you a PM.

Pro Street 06-29-2010 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSteck (Post 2040393)
Aside from logging total advance... log all of the spark adders/retards to see what sources are pulling timing out.

What conditions are you seeing the timing get pulled out?... A log would help.

Where can I send you a log? I can not upload a log here.
Thanks!

kelley@vectormotorsports 06-29-2010 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pro Street (Post 2040558)
Sent you a PM.

Got it. The car is doing as I suspected. Under 1700 RPM you are in a part of the timing table that is very low.

Actually you are at .64 gm/cyl at only 800 RPM. Not very much timing down there!

Bring those numbers up, but dont get crazy. Keep them in the high single digits to start.

Good luck and happy tuning!

Also, you have zero upshift torque management. I would just reduce it by 50% or so. What intake is on the car? You are pulling a 12 Kpa depression in the manifold, thats huge.

Pro Street 06-29-2010 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirk@VectorMotorsports (Post 2040811)
Got it. The car is doing as I suspected. Under 1700 RPM you are in a part of the timing table that is very low.

Actually you are at .64 gm/cyl at only 800 RPM. Not very much timing down there!

Bring those numbers up, but dont get crazy. Keep them in the high single digits to start.

Good luck and happy tuning!

Also, you have zero upshift torque management. I would just reduce it by 50% or so. What intake is on the car? You are pulling a 12 Kpa depression in the manifold, thats huge.

Thanks Kirk!
I will add timing down in those areas! It stll has the stock air filter system.
Thanks again!

DSteck 06-29-2010 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirk@VectorMotorsports (Post 2040811)
You are pulling a 12 Kpa depression in the manifold, thats huge.

Holy crap... and I thought 3kPa was bad!

Pro Street 06-29-2010 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DSteck (Post 2041139)
Holy crap... and I thought 3kPa was bad!

That is why everyone says they can feel a hugh change with a CAI!

DSteck 06-30-2010 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pro Street (Post 2041524)
That is why everyone says they can feel a hugh change with a CAI!

I get pissed when I see my manifold pressure drop from 99 to 98 by 7200rpm. :laugh:

kelley@vectormotorsports 06-30-2010 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pro Street (Post 2040974)
Thanks Kirk!
Thanks again!

No problem. Now get yourself a CAI!

thesubfloor 07-02-2010 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pro Street (Post 2040974)
Thanks Kirk!
Thanks again!

Whenever I tune somebody's automatic (usually in C6 Corvettes) that's one of the first things I work on as it can make a huge difference to how the car takes off. In my car I only see about a 2-3 drop when I launch the car at the track.

I agree with Kirk though in that you have to add more timing in small increments until you're happy with the results.

DSteck 07-03-2010 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thesubfloor (Post 2052711)
Whenever I tune somebody's automatic (usually in C6 Corvettes) that's one of the first things I work on as it can make a huge difference to how the car takes off. In my car I only see about a 2-3 drop when I launch the car at the track.

I agree with Kirk though in that you have to add more timing in small increments until you're happy with the results.

After seeing his log, burst knock was a bigger offender... although that stacked on top of already low timing just compounds the effect.