Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro Convertible Forum (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=133)
-   -   Motortrend Camaro Convertible Review: looks better than coupe? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130338)

5thGenIndy500 02-20-2011 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctinatx (Post 2863012)
Don't know the company name but it I remeber hearing it is the same company who makes it for the convertible Corvette

Thanks, guess I will visit a Corvette BB and see if I can find any info on the top....

5thGenIndy500 02-20-2011 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by besherman (Post 2863148)
I'm waiting (in)patiently for a ZL1 convertible and will be damn disappointed if they don't get around to producing one.

And, no, you won't catch me dumping on the Gen6 after having bought a $60K Gen5.

I only worry that GM will be concerned over the putting that much power in a convertible..

Andro 02-20-2011 09:45 AM

Hell No!

Hemlawk 02-20-2011 09:52 AM

"looks better"?

NEGATIVE!

Coupe ftw, I could careless about a vert. Granted, its nice, but I wouldnt buy it. ;)

5thGenIndy500 02-20-2011 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wise (Post 2862060)
Did they really say, "It sounds better"? I laughed when I caught that watching the video the second time.

I'm assuming then meant when inside with the top down verses inside the coupe.

Johnnyma45 02-20-2011 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bond (Post 2861543)
Yeah... I saw that too.
They describe the big stamped quarters on the coupe as a negative thing. It's one of my favorite parts of the car! Love my coupe!!
:wub:

Ohh yea...I love looking back through the side mirrors at those sexy, sexy hips. And I'm not an a$$ man!

5thGenIndy500 02-20-2011 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike 2SS-ZL1 (Post 2863977)
Good review, Top down please!!! We have a test drive with the 2SS Coupe with sunroof.
With my 1,85 meters to tall (not enough space between head and roof) and the B-Pillar is too wide (very little visibility).
For me two arguments more for the convertible, there are no this broblems. And the open air feeling is incredible.

I have also read that the top would be build from the same company for the Corvette Top.

Thanks Mike, I will look around on the Corvette forums and see what I can dig up.

besherman 02-20-2011 01:16 PM

:thumbup:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Without Remorse (Post 2864206)
It's human nature really. The coupes have had "all eyes on me" for quite a while and now everyone is talking about the vert and ZL1. Fewer people are ogling over their ride and now fawning over the newer model and it makes them lash out. They will discredit the other models and may even go as far as attempting to destroy them. It is called the Tonya Harding condition......:paddle:

If it carries the Camaro name, it is a sweet ride! :thumbsup:

:sm0::thumbup::laughabove::bow:

besherman 02-20-2011 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5thGenIndy500 (Post 2864423)
I only worry that GM will be concerned over the putting that much power in a convertible..

If Ford can sell a GT500 convertible (and the Mustang convertible is a quivering bowl of jello compared to the Camaro 'vert), then surely GM can proudly offer a ZL1 convertible.

5thGenIndy500 02-20-2011 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by besherman (Post 2865061)
If Ford can sell a GT500 convertible (and the Mustang convertible is a quivering bowl of jello compared to the Camaro 'vert), then surely GM can proudly offer a ZL1 convertible.

:thumbsup: you would think

Shurenuff 02-20-2011 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by besherman (Post 2862600)
This seems to be a pathology that afflicts a few (not most) Camaro coupe owners. Since they have already purchased their cars, they feel threatened by Chevy's new offerings. They suffer from pangs of anxiety as they wonder if they should have waited to buy or when they think about the beating they'll take if they trade their current cars in.

That's why this minority is always so critical about the new stuff (convertible, ZL1, etc) coming down the pike.

It's sad really.

Yep, the same thing happened with Z06 owners when the ZR1 arrived. Instead of tipping their cap to the new car, they choose to tear it down in order to justify their purchasing decision and try to maintain their superiority. I don't get it.

Bill 1ss/rs m6 02-20-2011 02:03 PM

Sorry, not a fan of the vert. Looks like a different car to me.

Phantom.5SS 02-20-2011 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by besherman (Post 2862600)
This seems to be a pathology that afflicts a few (not most) Camaro coupe owners. Since they have already purchased their cars, they feel threatened by Chevy's new offerings. They suffer from pangs of anxiety as they wonder if they should have waited to buy or when they think about the beating they'll take if they trade their current cars in.

That's why this minority is always so critical about the new stuff (convertible, ZL1, etc) coming down the pike.

It's sad really.

I never thought about it until I read your post......I love my current car and I am wicked pleased with all the new Camaro offerings,
Neman Marcus/ 2011 Pace car/ ZL-1, Convert........I kinda feel in some small way that maybe I should have waited, especially after thinking about it from your point of view.
But in the end game I have my Camaro and love it....so I should just buy another one to go with it. :thumbup:
I admit I was a little critical of the convert because of the weight gain and I thought about the chassis flex....but this version camaro isnt for all out rampage on the road...if thats your fortay then theres a car for you too...ZL-1.
Plenty of choices...thank you GM!!:headbang:

Jay_LHD3 02-20-2011 09:51 PM

Looking good!

Can’t wait to see my vert brethren roaming the streets with us!!!

:whitevertshift::Whoa5thGenSmall:

SS420 02-20-2011 09:53 PM

Don't like it. Then again, I've never been a big fan of convertibles.

76CamaroLT 02-21-2011 07:49 AM

I did think the intro of the review was a little odd. The whole review seemed flat to me, his effort to sound positive on the car was to put down the lines of the coupe. Pretty weak.

Although not a convertable guy, I think it looks nice. This shouldn't be vs. ... The coupe is a coupe and the vert is a vert.

Mike 2SS-ZL1 02-21-2011 08:22 AM

Convertible Top

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5thGenIndy500 (Post 2864485)
Thanks Mike, I will look around on the Corvette forums and see what I can dig up.

Convertible Top would build from Magna!
http://www.autoevolution.com/news/ma...top-15920.html

daveagogo1 02-21-2011 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSLarry (Post 2862848)
Who else is in love with the strut tower brace? When the part number is available, that might be a good mod for the SS coupe owners (non supercharger).

http://autoeveryday.com/wp-content/u...eryday-Com.jpg

Even though the coupe does not need it. I WANT IT. looks sweet and my 11 already has the drilled and threaded strut towers for it.

stand-al0ne 02-21-2011 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSLarry (Post 2862848)
Who else is in love with the strut tower brace? When the part number is available, that might be a good mod for the SS coupe owners (non supercharger).

http://autoeveryday.com/wp-content/u...eryday-Com.jpg

Best response in this thread so far. I agree, cant wait until I can go pick one up from the GM parts counter at my local chevy dealership

To keep on subject, the vert looks like any other vert - no hot with top up, pretty hot with top down. Simple :)

5thGenIndy500 02-21-2011 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike 2SS-ZL1 (Post 2867824)
Convertible Top would build from Magna!
http://www.autoevolution.com/news/ma...top-15920.html

Mike, thanks for the info that is just what I was looking for....:thumbup:

swagled 02-21-2011 11:52 AM

My nitpicks... that tan top does not work well with all the colors (although I think it works OK on white, silver and black, maybe the victory red.) And the top is a bit "ribsy" looking when raised.

But of course, few people really care how a convertible looks, with the top raised.

Brianskeet 02-21-2011 12:25 PM

Cheyy has put a nice vert on the road. I have more heartburn with Motor Trends obvious bashes against the coupe so they can bow down to the stang.

REAPER SS 02-21-2011 01:59 PM

Im glad to see that alot of people are interested in this car but I have never been a vert fan..as a matter of fact I dont like t-tops or moon roof. I must admit the vert with the top down looks good but with it up or down it just dont look agressive as the coupe.

soniccj7 02-21-2011 03:29 PM

I agree the review was good for the convertible, but made the coupe sound bad. I also agree the rear deck on the coupe looks awesome :happyanim:.

Very excited about all the new Camaro offerings, but I will be keeping my 2010 for a very long time!