Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   USA - Texas (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=68)
-   -   TX No front plate petition (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34895)

broncosman 07-30-2009 10:50 AM

TX No front plate petition

I remember seeing someone post something about this. Does anyone know what the status is on this or any updates?

Legend 07-30-2009 10:59 AM

Last I read is there is a vote in Sept...

...then another guy posted and said it never made it out of the Texas House...

...so no, I know nothing! LOL!

NT 07-30-2009 11:24 AM

http://www.legis.state.tx.us/billloo...81R&Bill=SB561
This is the link to the bill.

http://www.senate.state.tx.us/75r/Senate/members.htm
This is a link to the Texas State Senators and House members. If you scroll to the bottom of the page and enter your zip code, it will give you the contact information for your Senator or Representative.

If you don't let them know that you support this bill, how will they know?

Vash 07-30-2009 11:34 AM

It's not gonna happen. The purpose is say if someone drove up and hit your fence and you as a citizen see the front plate.

With no plate he just busted your fence and backed up. You didn't see his plate.

Replace the fence with something more delicate like person or pet. Then you see the importance of a front plate.

The look of your car does not override the citizens and LEO need to see the number IMO. Sorry bud.

NT 07-30-2009 12:01 PM

The purpose of the bill is to reduce the amount of license plates that the state purchases and in turn reduce money spent by the state, while still charging the same price for registering the vehicle.

wullger 07-30-2009 12:05 PM

The state needs more money for Rick Perry's hairgel!:sm0:

DallasRetro 07-30-2009 12:19 PM

Drop the front plate requirement, and I'll shave my head so Perry can have my hair gel! :happyanim:

CamaroSkooter 07-30-2009 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vash (Post 738907)
It's not gonna happen. The purpose is say if someone drove up and hit your fence and you as a citizen see the front plate.

With no plate he just busted your fence and backed up. You didn't see his plate.

Replace the fence with something more delicate like person or pet. Then you see the importance of a front plate.

The look of your car does not override the citizens and LEO need to see the number IMO. Sorry bud.

Neat argument, but if open carry was allowed in Texas, the guy wouldn't be able to back up.

wullger 07-30-2009 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CamaroSkooter (Post 739177)
Neat argument, but if open carry was allowed in Texas, the guy wouldn't be able to back up.

Hide the body till nightfall, then call the cops!

"Uh, sorry..he was on my property after dark and I feared for my safety!":D

CamaroSkooter 07-30-2009 12:47 PM

lol I dunno, I think the coroner's might catch on to that one...

Nexus6 07-30-2009 01:23 PM

Well i guess it's a good thing that people in Florida dont hit fences or people or pets

qbert48 07-30-2009 01:25 PM

hair gel:sm0:

nosed my dr pepper

Vash 07-30-2009 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CamaroSkooter (Post 739177)

That makes no sense because I carry concealed and it does not take long to draw if someone was stealing your car, at night. But if they hit your fence you can't legally use force if they are leaving.

Get a plate stealth kit.

No one is going to want to take a tool away from law enforcement and citizens for criminals. It's not you and Camaro owners it's idiots in stolen cars, dwi idiots etc. Insurance rates might also go up because of hit and runs.

CamaroSkooter 07-30-2009 02:30 PM

It was more of a joke than a serious rebuttal to your "scenario."

The truth is, if someone is driving away from the scene of any kind of crime, the rear end of the car is visible.

I don't know the statistics, but I can imagine the number of incidents involving a witness where the witness was able to record and relay the exact license plate number of the vehicle involved are probably pretty small.

Most people think to get information about a vehicle in this order of importance:

the color of the car,
the type of car (SUV, passenger car, station wagon, minivan),
the make,
the model,
the license plate number

I would be curious to hear from a police officer who deals with witnesses on a regular basis just how often the information is extremely reliable.

I would like to think that if I witnessed a hit and run, I'd be able to tell the police exactly what happened, and all of the above information down to a T, but the reality is things happen so fast that getting that kind of detail down takes a very keen eye.

So, I'm not disputing your claim that the front license plate can be useful, but most of the time it's hardly ever used for anything other than parking meter attendents laziness.