Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forced Induction - V6 (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Turbo vs Supercharger? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=263879)

RaceToEmbrace 12-03-2012 08:44 AM

Turbo vs Supercharger?

I'm looking for a forced induction system but not sure what to go with... I can achieve 400+hp with both, but I'm wondering which is better for my v6 Camaro.. I'm thinking between IPF supercharger or STS turbo.. Turbo or Supercharger?

upflying 12-03-2012 08:45 AM

For the same money you could upgrade to a SS.
Plus you will lose big on your mod dollar investment when its time to sell the V6.

xjer22x 12-03-2012 08:48 AM

I am biased but Turbo is the way to go. More efficient and no parasetic drain from an added pulley. Turbos have been proven to produce more power at the same PSI of boost too.

sent from my galaxy s3. that would explain the errors.

SC2150 12-03-2012 09:15 AM

We do single turbo, twin turbo, and Paxton centrificul super chargers for these.

Here is a good thread and there is a ton of info in the V6 FI section as well.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259858

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsgFJPC-d3A

:thumbsup:

DRKS1D3 12-03-2012 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upflying (Post 5873633)
Plus you will lose big on your mod dollar investment when its time to sell the V6.

This 100%.

sportyb24 12-03-2012 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRKS1D3 (Post 5873810)
This 100%.

X2

Can't_C_Me 12-03-2012 09:58 AM

Take the turbo route more power and torque. Also for less than upgrading and is reversible and you can just find a shop to add the kit to another car. That's my car in the video up top gotta love boost and high MPG's ^^^^^!! Also everyone loses when it comes to mod dollars. Never seen a used mod go for new prices.

Sikoriko 12-03-2012 10:18 AM

Go turbo and give the ZL1 a run for it's money. haha

MikeSVX 12-03-2012 10:32 AM

I'm partial to the instant power of a supercharger. You don't have turbo lag. I had a Whipple 1600ax twin screw supercharger put on the EG33 Boxer-6 in my Subaru SVX. I had you be careful taking off and cornering at the same time. Too much throttle and the bypass would close giving an instand 9psi. I had an STi, rear biased tranny in it. The rear tires would instantly let go and snap the car around 180 degrees. It took me a few auto-x's to get use to that.

I think, personally, when I'm ready to boost, I'm going with the Edelbrock E-force system. It's i nice clean, low profile system. Though, it doesn't make quite as much power as some of it's compeditors.

scrming 12-03-2012 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeSVX (Post 5873943)
I'm partial to the instant power of a supercharger. You don't have turbo lag. I had a Whipple 1600ax twin screw supercharger put on the EG33 Boxer-6 in my Subaru SVX. I had you be careful taking off and cornering at the same time. Too much throttle and the bypass would close giving an instand 9psi. I had an STi, rear biased tranny in it. The rear tires would instantly let go and snap the car around 180 degrees. It took me a few auto-x's to get use to that.

I think, personally, when I'm ready to boost, I'm going with the Edelbrock E-force system. It's i nice clean, low profile system. Though, it doesn't make quite as much power as some of it's compeditors.

This is the V6 section so the only superchargers available are centrifugal... so it's not going to be "instant power"... boost on a centri comes on very linearly as the RPMs go up...

A properly sized turbo(s) really shouldn't have any lag...

I have owned and driven centrifugal supercharged cars... and now I've got a couple turbo vehicles in the driveway... I would have a hard time going back to a centri...

to OP, we've seen a few guys with STS kits here... most seem to have some issues with the installs and a fair amount of work to get them "right"... Personally I would avoid STS... IMHO...

MikeSVX 12-03-2012 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrming (Post 5873992)
This is the V6 section so the only superchargers available are centrifugal... so it's not going to be "instant power"... boost on a centri comes on very linearly as the RPMs go up...

A properly sized turbo(s) really shouldn't have any lag...

I have owned and driven centrifugal supercharged cars... and now I've got a couple turbo vehicles in the driveway... I would have a hard time going back to a centri...

to OP, we've seen a few guys with STS kits here... most seem to have some issues with the installs and a fair amount of work to get them "right"... Personally I would avoid STS... IMHO...

True. I've never messed with centrifugal superchargers. I did research them when I was building the Subaru. From what I understood, they had the disavantage of both turbos and superchargers. They had a lag at building boost and still had the prasetic loss of the supercharger. the only advantage over a twin screw that I went with was they were capible of a good bit more boost. I get it's a V6 tread. I don't know whats available for them, just sharing my exsperience.

I didn't know about the STS issues though. That's good to know. I had actually considered them, also. Is the issue just on their V6 package. (not to derail the thread too much...)

sycraft 12-03-2012 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upflying (Post 5873633)

Not true, I have less in my V6 that a SS. And I can remove it with no evidence with the IPF kit. Then use the headunit- Vortech V3 - if I ever decide to get a SS with just a bracket upgrade. And I am faster than an SS now.

IPF-Tuning 12-03-2012 11:06 AM

The IPF SC Kit is a Low OEM Impact Design that is 100% Bolt-on and 100% Reversible. So if you wanted to remove it to sell your car you can and we can Tune it back to Stock. We also have a Warranty that you can purchase as well to replace your existing Power Train Warranty.

Thanks,

Jesse!

sycraft 12-03-2012 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IPF-Tuning (Post 5874070)
The IPF SC Kit is a Low OEM Impact Design that is 100% Bolt-on and 100% Reversible. So if you wanted to remove it to sell your car you can and we can Tune it back to Stock. We also have a Warranty that you can purchase as well to replace your existing Power Train Warranty.

Thanks,

Jesse!

:word: