Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   New Member Introductions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   C6 to 2SS/RS (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309266)

H8S FORD 07-25-2013 02:02 PM

C6 to 2SS/RS

Hello all!! my name's Dave recently had to sell my 09 CGM Z51 M6 NPP. My wife and I finally had a baby after a couple of years of trying. Went down and picked up a 10 2SS/RS M6 Inferno Orange w/White Rallies. Car is sweet! A little more choked up on the power side of the house than I expected, but I know the cam, tune, no OTR intake and restrictive exhaust are to blame. I picked the SS up on Tuesday night with only 6500 mi on it, Wednesday morning it was at the paint booth getting the vinyl stripes taken off and new CGM stripes painted on and cleared over.

Lots of other changes in store in the future month...

Glad to be here...

Dave

LuSe4 07-25-2013 02:28 PM

Congrats and welcome. How do you like the Camaro compared to the Vette out of curiosity realizing that they are not in the same class.

45thAnniversary2SS 07-25-2013 02:31 PM

Welcome sir. Love the username! :happy0180:

Apex Motorsports 07-25-2013 03:59 PM

Congrats on the new ride and addition to the family.

http://apex-speed.com/images/emoticons/welcomec5.jpg

Chevrolet Customer Svc 07-25-2013 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H8S FORD (Post 6819387)
Hello all!! my name's Dave recently had to sell my 09 CGM Z51 M6 NPP. My wife and I finally had a baby after a couple of years of trying. Went down and picked up a 10 2SS/RS M6 Inferno Orange w/White Rallies. Car is sweet! A little more choked up on the power side of the house than I expected, but I know the cam, tune, no OTR intake and restrictive exhaust are to blame. I picked the SS up on Tuesday night with only 6500 mi on it, Wednesday morning it was at the paint booth getting the vinyl stripes taken off and new CGM stripes painted on and cleared over.

Lots of other changes in store in the future month...

Glad to be here...

Dave

Greetings Dave,

Welcome to Camaro5 and congratulations to you and your wife as well! I know you're excited about your 2010 2SS/RS! Make sure you post some pictures for all to see.

All the best,

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care

JDP Sales 07-25-2013 04:26 PM

Congrats on the car and the baby and welcome to the site!

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007

H8S FORD 07-25-2013 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuSe4 (Post 6819478)
Congrats and welcome. How do you like the Camaro compared to the Vette out of curiosity realizing that they are not in the same class.

You're right, they are two totally different classes. However, I wouldn't give all the kudos to the Vette. To break it down IMHO:

Handling and ride quality:
The Vette is a much lower sitting car and the suspension (everything from the F55 MRC to the sways) lends the car to feel more in control in the turns at anything faster than granny speed. The steering seems to be equally as tight between the two. The big advantage of the Camaro is the smoothness of the ride though. The Vette as many owners will be quick to point out, let's you feel every piece and part of the road, however it is very rough. The Camaro allows the driver to feel the road as well, but you don't feel like your head is headed for the roof every time you find a pothole. I prefer the smooth ride of the Camaro.

Power:
From a bone stock standpoint, this is hands down a win for Corvette, but GMs tweaking of the LS3 in the Camaro to de-tune it so to speak is probably to blame here. The Vette launches much more firmly without ever seeming to let up. The feeling of being sucked into your seat is evident to anyone who climbs in and with every shift, you feel like you've just been pushed deeper into the leather. The throttle response is faster and seems to be more powerful- I noticed the biggest difference in downshifting to make a pass. In my Vette 4 to 3 was one heck of a thrill ride in the pass- the RPMs would climb just enough to give you plenty of torque behind the ponies to fly passed the car you wanted to get around. When I tried this in the Camaro, there seems to be a slight throttle delay, probably due to the lack of air in and more freely flowing exhaust out (plus you can make adjustments to this in the tuner). It was just enough that it felt as though you had to build back up the RPMs to get your power back. The fact of the matter is, they are both LS3s and with a little work, one engine can be just as powerful as the other. The only edge the Vette would still have at that point would be the weight to HP ratio, and the distribution of weight on the rearend.

Parts both replacement and aftermarket:
NO CORVETTE TAX! A part for a Vette is always more expensive than the identical part on a Camaro. I won't miss that at all. With the Vette it took me forever to buy AM parts because of cost.

Best of all, I can take my son in the Camaro with me. CA law does not allow for any child in a car seat to be in the front seat of the car, regardless of the number of seats it has.

Does that help you out any? Again, both have huge upsides, but at the end of the day, each is in a class of its own- I have totally enjoyed both and wouldn't say one is an all out better car than the other, I think your individual circumstance and taste are really the deciding factors.

As far as the user name, that is exactly what my plate reads! I get one of two extreme reactions to it every time.

Will post some pics of both here in a little bit.

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome, well wishes and congratulations.

Thanks
Dave

LuSe4 07-25-2013 08:18 PM

Thanks Dave. I love both Corvettes and Camaros. I asked because we have had a few members lately that have gone from Camaros to Corvettes and have really bad talked Camaros and I thought it would be interesting to hear someones perspective from the other side.
Can't wait to see pics!

ron10 07-25-2013 08:25 PM

welcome to C5.

menendez1293 07-25-2013 08:35 PM

Congrats and welcome.

BAD DAB 07-25-2013 09:38 PM

Welcome Dave

H8S FORD 07-26-2013 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuSe4 (Post 6820900)
Thanks Dave. I love both Corvettes and Camaros. I asked because we have had a few members lately that have gone from Camaros to Corvettes and have really bad talked Camaros and I thought it would be interesting to hear someones perspective from the other side.
Can't wait to see pics!

I love them both too. If I could still have my Vette I would, but I couldn't be happier in this great car. I think the Camaro really is a perfect representation of retro, muscle car Americana- bravo to GM on doing what I believe is a FAR superior job than Ford or Dodge on bringing back the look and feel of the "good 'ol days", with out sacrificing power, comfort, drivability, and amenities.

One more thing I will add about the difference between the two is this; the Corvette is as cheap looking an interior as you will ever find. For the price, there should not be knobs and dials that remind us of the dreadful 80s in automobiles. The CF on the center console area leading up to all the controls is a nice touch, but that is the extent of it. The seats are hard, power seats are not standard, heated seats are not standard, there is no ingenuity to the controls at all- for the sticker price and the aura that surrounds the Vette being Chevy's golden "super car", these items ought to be better looking, with more functions, and more standardized at the base level and base trim package.

I know that C7 is supposed to address all of this and it's about time. That was probably my single biggest complaint, but up until this point the Vette was all about raw power and performance, so it is unfortunate, but expected.

That's all the more I'm really going to say on it, because again, I love both cars and truly believe that in each of their own worlds they are the best overall and best bang for your buck.

Thanks too for letting me share my point of view on the two, and understand that I had no intention of trash talking either one- they're both incredible cars, and owners of either one should be proud to have them.

Thanks again everyone. Glad to be here and I look forward to learning and sharing with you all.

I'll have some pictures up this weekend for you all to see.

Thanks,
Dave

LuSe4 07-26-2013 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H8S FORD (Post 6822918)
I love them both too. If I could still have my Vette I would, but I couldn't be happier in this great car. I think the Camaro really is a perfect representation of retro, muscle car Americana- bravo to GM on doing what I believe is a FAR superior job than Ford or Dodge on bringing back the look and feel of the "good 'ol days", with out sacrificing power, comfort, drivability, and amenities.

One more thing I will add about the difference between the two is this; the Corvette is as cheap looking an interior as you will ever find. For the price, there should not be knobs and dials that remind us of the dreadful 80s in automobiles. The CF on the center console area leading up to all the controls is a nice touch, but that is the extent of it. The seats are hard, power seats are not standard, heated seats are not standard, there is no ingenuity to the controls at all- for the sticker price and the aura that surrounds the Vette being Chevy's golden "super car", these items ought to be better looking, with more functions, and more standardized at the base level and base trim package.

I know that C7 is supposed to address all of this and it's about time. That was probably my single biggest complaint, but up until this point the Vette was all about raw power and performance, so it is unfortunate, but expected.

That's all the more I'm really going to say on it, because again, I love both cars and truly believe that in each of their own worlds they are the best overall and best bang for your buck.

Thanks too for letting me share my point of view on the two, and understand that I had no intention of trash talking either one- they're both incredible cars, and owners of either one should be proud to have them.

Thanks again everyone. Glad to be here and I look forward to learning and sharing with you all.

I'll have some pictures up this weekend for you all to see.

Thanks,
Dave

Great follow up, and I couldn't agree with you any more! :happy0180:

wkid1le 07-26-2013 01:39 PM

Welcome to the forum!!