Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Manual or Automatic? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2036)

Scotsman 11-26-2007 08:25 PM

I'm not even gonna lie; Auto all the way! You guys can shift your own gears if you like, good luck keep'n up.:headbang: I sure hope they included paddle shifters with the Auto in the 5thgen. Man o man..... can't freak'n wait!

2010_5thgen 11-26-2007 09:27 PM

to me its not about going faster in a auto than a stick . its about the fun of up and down shifting. and im not planning on losing any power ill probably be adding about 150-200 more anyways.

Scotsman 11-26-2007 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen (Post 31672)
to me its not about going faster in a auto than a stick . its about the fun of up and down shifting. and im not planning on losing any power ill probably be adding about 150-200 more anyways.

It's not about going faster for me either, but what the heck...

As long as the auto has paddle shifters, I'm happy.

2010_5thgen 11-27-2007 08:46 PM

yeah paddle shift is slick. i meen if ferarri can pull it off ,why not camaro's????

Mr. Wyndham 11-27-2007 08:52 PM

It's Nowhere near the same thing...;)
the auto-paddle shift transmission that GM has in the Vette, is still an automatic transmission at heart. You can just control it now.

The Ferrari, on the other hand, uses a DCT (dual clutch transmission). Where it's core is a manual-style transmission, but it's automated when you want it to be. howstuffworks.com has a real great intro on it. There's just too much to it for my poor little fingers to type out here:D

stovt001 11-28-2007 08:19 AM

Yeah paddle shift can mean so many different things. I mean Hyundai and Kia offer it; the Corvette and the Malibu have paddles, Some car rags have gone so far as to say Audi's DSG officially makes the manual transmission obsolete (I don't know if I'd go that far, but it is a very good tranny) Ferrari has their F1 system, but none of these are the same thing. Well the Hyundai/Kia and GM systems are similar, in that they are utterly conventional automatic transmissions. Adding paddle shifters just adds the ability for the driver to tell the computer what gear to select, instead of leaving that decision solely up to the computer. The Audi and Ferrari systems, on the other hand, are actually more of automated manual transmissions. They mechanically function much like a true manual transmission, but a flick of the paddle automatically performs the clutch and gear shifting actions that would normally be done with a pedal, stick, foot, leg, arm and hand.

I do not doubt one bit that the new Camaro will have paddle shift abilities, but I'm sure it will be just like the Malibu's and Corvette's, not Audi or Ferrari. A number of companies have stated that they will start using dual clutch transmissions, but GM was not one of them.

Mr. Wyndham 11-28-2007 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stovt001 (Post 31863)
A number of companies have stated that they will start using dual clutch transmissions, but GM was not one of them.

:confused: I noticed that, too. I figured it may have been because GM consistantly cranks out their own really good auto tranmissions, but - why not update? you know?

Scotsman 11-28-2007 10:41 AM

I thought there was something in the UAW contract that mentioned a 7 speed "DCT" (Dual Clutch) transmission?

MattG 11-28-2007 12:46 PM

If Chevy comes up with a slick Auto w/ paddles, I'd consider it. But most likely I'll be going manual.

Mr. Wyndham 11-28-2007 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DerScotsman (Post 31893)
I thought there was something in the UAW contract that mentioned a 7 speed "DCT" (Dual Clutch) transmission?

I'll look when I get home. I saved the PDF when it was first "leaked"...now I think it may be lost in the Web somewhere;)

btw; I'll edit this post with the answer when I get it:thumbsup:

2010_5thgen 11-28-2007 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragoneye (Post 31820)
It's Nowhere near the same thing...;)
the auto-paddle shift transmission that GM has in the Vette, is still an automatic transmission at heart. You can just control it now.

The Ferrari, on the other hand, uses a DCT (dual clutch transmission). Where it's core is a manual-style transmission, but it's automated when you want it to be. howstuffworks.com has a real great intro on it. There's just too much to it for my poor little fingers to type out here:D

yeah i know there was more to a ferarri than a vette but kinda the same concept.

Good53X 11-29-2007 12:07 AM

I like the shifter, seriously :P

However the automated manuals can complete a shift in something rediculous like a quarter of a second. What does that mean? Well... a rough shift, that's for sure... but a faster shift. Definitely a racing feature.

I like the ability to shift hard, or shift soft depending on my mood. I really like a shift knob. I also sometimes shift 1-2-4, almost red-lining first, running second pretty hard, and then cruising in 4th. I couldn't do that with paddle shifters... not that it's good for my transmission anyway /shrug.

Mr. Wyndham 11-29-2007 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Good53X (Post 32040)
I like the ability to shift hard, or shift soft depending on my mood. I really like a shift knob. I also sometimes shift 1-2-4, almost red-lining first, running second pretty hard, and then cruising in 4th. I couldn't do that with paddle shifters... not that it's good for my transmission anyway /shrug.

;) Yes, you could...2 to 4 would be a double-tap up.:thumbsup:

2010_5thgen 11-29-2007 11:52 AM

^^^^ thats pretty slick.

GSX 12-29-2007 08:55 PM

If you want to buy a manual, first learn from friend or relative first. As of first cars I drove in a Camry during my road test and a hand me down civic for a few weeks. (man did I hate those cars) But my first truly owned car is a Scion tC (automatic). I would honest say try before you buy though.

Jay 12-29-2007 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stovt001 (Post 31863)
I do not doubt one bit that the new Camaro will have paddle shift abilities, but I'm sure it will be just like the Malibu's and Corvette's, not Audi or Ferrari. A number of companies have stated that they will start using dual clutch transmissions, but GM was not one of them.

Wha??? Sorry Im not the most technical of people when it comes to cars.... wtf is dual clutch transmissions....kinda like what the Audi A3 has?

stovt001 12-29-2007 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay (Post 36520)
Wha??? Sorry Im not the most technical of people when it comes to cars.... wtf is dual clutch transmissions....kinda like what the Audi A3 has?

:readthethread: Read that in a less aggressive tone than the smiley implies, but I discussed the difference in great detail just a little earlier on this thread.

Mr. Wyndham 12-29-2007 10:36 PM

It's an automated manual Transmission. As opposed to GM's which is an Automatic at heart, a DCT uses the basics of a manual, and moves itself. The beauty lies in that since there are two separate shafts, the next gear is already engaged - so all the tranny has to do is switch which shaft it's pushing power through. This results in very quick shifts. Look it up on howstuffworks.com. I'd go into more detail - but they have pictures and a real good description of how it works.

As per the quote...;) GM may not have said anything, but the C7 Vette will be getting one.:D

stovt001 12-29-2007 10:44 PM

To add to that, a dual clutch tranny, like its name implies, has two clutches, one for the currently engaged gear and one preselecting the next gear (so basically a clutch for gears 1,3,5, and a clutch for gears 2,4,6) It allows for very fast shifts and isn't the same thing as a traditional auto gearbox with a torque converter and paddle shifters talking to a computer.

Jay 12-29-2007 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stovt001 (Post 36525)
:readthethread: Read that in a less aggressive tone than the smiley implies, but I discussed the difference in great detail just a little earlier on this thread.

my bad dude.... got it.

Jay 12-29-2007 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragoneye (Post 36526)
It's an automated manual Transmission. As opposed to GM's which is an Automatic at heart, a DCT uses the basics of a manual, and moves itself. The beauty lies in that since there are two separate shafts, the next gear is already engaged - so all the tranny has to do is switch which shaft it's pushing power through. This results in very quick shifts. Look it up on howstuffworks.com. I'd go into more detail - but they have pictures and a real good description of how it works.

As per the quote...;) GM may not have said anything, but the C7 Vette will be getting one.:D

thanks dragon.... i got it.... its something similar to what I had heard about previously, just want sure.

Really cool tho, I must admit, it might make me think twice about not getting manual if this was offered on the Camaro.

stovt001 12-29-2007 10:53 PM

They are really nice, and as I said some have even said they do make the manual transmission obsolete. GM's traditional paddle shift automatics have also been greatly improved, and the gap is closing, so even if the Camaro just gets that, most people will be happy. Well, there are plenty of manual transmission devotees who don't care if it works just as well as a true manual, because nothing can replicate the feeling of physically rowing through the gears yourselves, and they're right. So if that is important to you, still go manual. But looking at it strictly from a performance perspective, most modern automatic trannies with manual or sport shift modes can hold their own against even the better manual transmissions.

Jay 12-30-2007 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stovt001 (Post 36533)
They are really nice, and as I said some have even said they do make the manual transmission obsolete. GM's traditional paddle shift automatics have also been greatly improved, and the gap is closing, so even if the Camaro just gets that, most people will be happy. Well, there are plenty of manual transmission devotees who don't care if it works just as well as a true manual, because nothing can replicate the feeling of physically rowing through the gears yourselves, and they're right. So if that is important to you, still go manual. But looking at it strictly from a performance perspective, most modern automatic trannies with manual or sport shift modes can hold their own against even the better manual transmissions.

yah, thats true.... im most likely still gunna get a manual... your right about the rowing through the gears.... there's nothing like it.... infact I know I'm gunna get manual:D

Sabrina saysssss 01-10-2008 07:24 AM

I'd say you learn how to drive manual, coming from a girl that loves cars, if i saw a young guy in the 5 gen camaro driving stick, it would melt my heart. I plan on buying manual once i get better at driving it. My suggestion is that you start early, and you're one lucky boy, BE CAREFUL!

Emher 01-10-2008 08:36 AM

^Now that's encouraging for a young single guy like me :D Personally I had some doubts because my dad told me to get an automatic, and I trust his advice, but I just can't on this. I'd get bored. So manual it is.