Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Chevy Camaro vs... (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Watch out Mustang (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5922)

darthknight72 08-10-2008 10:51 AM

Watch out Mustang

Chevy pulls cover on the final cut for the reborn Camaro.

7-18-08: Whether or not the new 2010 Chevy Camaro will replace the old one as the favorite car for small time drug dealers, wife beaters, and robbers of convenience stores will remain to be seen. Regardless, GM has taken the wraps off the production version of the new 2010 Chevy Camaro.

It ought to look familiar, since we have been looking at it for almost three years. To GM’s credit, the production version shown here is as close as an automaker gets to a concept car. The new Camaro is virtually identical in form and in detail. The major differences of course come in the form of the requisite weather-striping at side doors and windows, larger side mirrors and small tweaks to the tail-lights, exhaust tips, and fascias.

Inside, the interior follows the a retro theme very true in spirit to the 1969 Camaro. Large dual gauge pods sit before the driver while secondary gauges sit low on the center console. It is a great layout for the retro tradition but honestly sucks for ergonomics. It is a gaffe, but most Camaro buyers aren’t gonna care. The small indentations in front of them will be a great place for empty cigarette boxes, lighers, and bottle openers. Other details like the steering wheel's grotesquely off center airbag pod bring back memories of the ill-conceived GM design details of the 1980’s. Again the average buyer will not notice or care.

How an optional NAV system might fit in the center pod will be interesting. While the concept cars showed off the ability for bright contrasting colors inside, the production car photos GM has provided just show a dark charcoal cave much like that of the Dodge Challenger. There are plenty of comforts however. Top end models will get LED gauges, leather and premium trim accents.

Under the hood is of course where the action is. This is one area where the 2010 Camaro will not disappoint. The initial engines will include GM’s high feature DOHC 3.6 liter direct injected V6 engine which cranks out a healthy 300hp. That's the same as the Mustang GT’s 4.6 liter V8!

As if that was not enough, the V8 option will be a healthy 6.2-liter power plant offering up 422 hp. Standard V8 is 400hp, with the SS model offering a few more horses. Like most of GM’s modern V8’s the Camaro’s top engine will feature cylinder deactivation to boost fuel economy. The seamless system shuts down up to 4 cylinders while in coast or cruise modes to save gas. It has been very well received in trucks and SUV’s - a technology Ford really should be after.

The 2010 Camaro rides on essentially the same new rear-wheel drive chassis as the recently introduced Pontiac G8 sport sedan. What this means is a fully independent suspension and top drawer handling. The Pontiac G8 has been heralded by the automotive press for its sharp corner carving abilities as well as refinement. This will likely be a major advantage over the Mustang which still has a live axle, technology dating back to Henry Ford’s cars over 100 years ago.

Other chassis details on the top end models includes GM’s StabiliTrak traction control system. Like the Shelby GT-500, the SS will have big Brembo brakes, 18” wheels, and an aggressive suspension tune. While full specs have not been released, the V8 Camaro is said to come in at about 3,750-3,850 lbs which makes it a bit heavier than the Mustang but not as porky as the Dodge Challenger.

Overall, we have to say that GM has done a much better job on the new 2010 Camaro than Dodge with the new Challenger. Not only is it more svelte, but is far lighter and has a more athletic chassis. As for how it will compare to Mustang, we must admit that it trumps the Ford in raw power with both the current V6 and V8 engines. Even what we have heard the 2010 Mustang will have is still less. It trumps the Mustang in chassis dynamics by virtue of its independent rear suspension.

Yes, we had a little fun at Camaro's expense with our photo renderings based on the production car. It appears that the new Chevy will indeed provide a healthy competitor to the Mustang in the showrooms. Whether or not the Camaro will be available in an special edition with mismatched wheels, panels and random primer spots for its loyal fan base has not yet been announced. But we can dream cant we?

I just found this artitcle on a Mustang site.Sounds like the blue oval boys are getting a little nervous.I have to say though they had some spy shots of the new 'stang,and the front end of what I could see looked pretty cool.It is supposed to debut at the LA auto show in november.Im really curious to see what it looks like.In my opinion Ford really needs to up the HP of the current 'stang,and i know a lot of Mustang guys are pining for IRS.Just thought you guys would like to see what the mustang crowd was saying about the new Camaro.
:scared0016:

littlecammi 08-10-2008 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darthknight72 (Post 109955)
Whether the new 2010 Chevy Camaro will replace the old one as the favorite car for small time drug dealers, wife beaters, and robbers of convenience stores remains to be seen.

Hey, watch it there! I'm a fan of the new Camaro and I'm not a wife beater!

Captainbob 08-10-2008 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darthknight72 (Post 109955)
Chevy pulls cover on the final cut for the reborn Camaro.

I just found this artitcle on a Mustang site.Sounds like the blue oval boys are getting a little nervous.I have to say though they had some spy shots of the new 'stang,and the front end of what I could see looked pretty cool.It is supposed to debut at the LA auto show in november.Im really curious to see what it looks like.In my opinion Ford really needs to up the HP of the current 'stang,and i know a lot of Mustang guys are pining for IRS.Just thought you guys would like to see what the mustang crowd was saying about the new Camaro.
:scared0016:

Your joking right??:laughabove:
Lets just hope the new SS will safely handle $1500 of bolt on mods to bring it to 600 hp w/o worrying about melting a piston, blowing a rod.. That's what I'm talking about.. Got my fingers crossed.

The_Blur 08-10-2008 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captainbob (Post 109984)
Your joking right??:laughabove:
Lets just hope the new SS will safely handle $1500 of bolt on mods to bring it to 600 hp w/o worrying about melting a piston, blowing a rod.. That's what I'm talking about.. Got my fingers crossed.

That's not the mentality you'll need to get to 600 horses.

• Cheap
• Fast
• Reliable
• Pick 2

It doesn't matter what those Civic and Eclipse guys say. There's no way bold-ons will get you 200 horsepower.

• intake: approx. 5 hp
• exhaust: approx. 10 hp
• headers: approx. 5 hp
• muffler: approx. 2 hp
• supercharger: approx. 60 hp (expect to break your $1500 budget for a good kit)
• turbocharger: approx. 60 hp (once again, $1500 won't suffice)
• nitrous oxide: depends on kit (more horsepower, more money)

Txturbo 08-10-2008 12:48 PM

the Cadillac guys have already gotten 31hp just with a bolt on aftermarket exhaust on the V6.

Captainbob 08-10-2008 12:58 PM

sorry to burst your bubble

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Blur (Post 109990)

• Cheap
• Fast
• Reliable
• Pick 2

It doesn't matter what those Civic and Eclipse guys say. There's no way bold-ons will get you 200 horsepower.

•*exhaust: approx. 10 hp
• supercharger: approx. 60 hp (expect to break your $1500 budget for a good kit)

Excuse me? On my GT500 all I had to do was install a CAI, 2.4" metco pully, and download a new tune.. Instant 600hp dyno'd for proof. Actually, thats the most common upgrade used on the GT500's from Evolution performance. No disrespect intended here but... Who in their right mind would spend 5k on Supercharger for a measly 60hp? TVS, Ken Belle, Whipple, all make supercharger for the 5.1 GT500 engine that bolts on 100to 300 hp. I went with the FRPP TVS, and am pushing 800hp with a factory forged lower end that came from the factory able to handle the power.. Thats a lesson GM needs to take note.
Sorry to burst your bubble sir.:bellyroll:

BowtieGuy 08-10-2008 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captainbob (Post 109997)
Excuse me? On my GT500 all I had to do was install a CAI, 2.4" metco pully, and download a new tune.. Instant 600hp dyno'd for proof. Actually, thats the most common upgrade used on the GT500's from Evolution performance.
Sorry to burst your bubble sir.:bellyroll:

Well we all know that F/I cars respond better to modification and tunes than N/A. Plus your car kind of had a 100 horse head start. What Blur said wasn't far off, since your GT500 is just a Mustang with a supercharger, unless your car cost only $1500 more than a Mustang GT.

Captainbob 08-10-2008 01:12 PM

point taken

Quote:

Originally Posted by BowtieGuy (Post 110000)
Well we all know that F/I cars respond better to modification and tunes than N/A. Plus your car kind of had a 100 horse head start. What Blur said wasn't far off, since your GT500 is just a Mustang with a supercharger, unless your car cost only $1500 more than a Mustang GT.

Yes, I agree.. Thats why alot of us are hoping for a Camaro line up with a Supercar Camaro as Mustang did with the Shelby GT500..

kevin2323 08-10-2008 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BowtieGuy (Post 110000)

It is basically a SVT supercharged and they called it a "shelby" lol.

Koru 08-10-2008 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Blur (Post 109990)

• Cheap
• Fast
• Reliable
• Pick 2

•*exhaust: approx. 10 hp

You're really good at downplaying HP ratings.:barf:

Silverghost 08-10-2008 01:23 PM

Funny how that mustang site is using the white trash photoshop pictures as "the production version shown here" pictures.

http://www.themustangnews.com/carnew...8camaro121.htm

kevin2323 08-10-2008 01:29 PM

Overall, we have to say that GM has done a much better job on the new 2010 Camaro than Dodge with the new Challenger. Not only is it more svelte, but is far lighter and has a more athletic chassis. As for how it will compare to Mustang, we must admit that it trumps the Ford in raw power with both the current V6 and V8 engines. Even what we have heard the 2010 Mustang will have is still less. It trumps the Mustang in chassis dynamics by virtue of its independent rear suspension.

A little bias much? lol cmon what do they mean by a MUCH better job. They waited for dodge to release specs and info on the challenger and slightly improved on what dodge did. They basically used an existing chasis (zeta) just like the challenger did (LX), they put a 6.2 L engine and dodge put a 6.1, the interior on the Camaro has its good (steering wheel/gauges) and the bad(ugly dash set up) and dodge with its nice seats (cockpit seats/pistol grip shifter for 09) and the bad(ugly steering wheel and shifter). And finally the gap between both cars (auto vs auto) is only 220-240lbs. They are both pigs and both weighed alot more than most of us were waiting for. I love the challenger and the camaro but cmon MUCH better? Once the price of the camaro comes out and if it is in the low 30s for the v8 then they can say that they did a MUCH better job on the PRICE.

By the way this isn't a I hate the camaro post, so don't take it that way.:thumbup:

Captainbob 08-10-2008 01:39 PM

some truth to that

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevin2323 (Post 110002)
It is basically a SVT supercharged and they called it a "shelby" lol.

Actually the SVT team, worked with the team Shelby when designing the GT500.. It's a completely different car than the mustang GT.. With the exception of basic body design, and some interior design as well.. The main thing is for $1500 in mods I've easily taken down numerious Z06's in the 1/4 mile..
Thats what GM needs to accomplish with the new SS platform IMO:headbang:

darthknight72 08-10-2008 01:41 PM

Speaking of bolt on parts.Dont underestimite a Mustang GT if its supercharged.Kenne-Bell has a new supercharger for the Mustang GT called the Mammoth.It makes 774 rwhp.Thats pretty impressive by anyones standards.Kenne-Bell mainly deals with ford cars.I doubt they will have anything for the Camaro,although that would be sweet.Hasving said that the only place you'll probably run into one of those cars will be on the race track.You know GM's doing something right when the base V-6 is making about the same power as a Mustang GT.I would like to see a aftermarket supercharger system for the Camaro.