Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6) (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   Leaking fluid from rear of Trans (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103056)

Spiffyguitar 08-29-2010 01:46 AM

Leaking fluid from rear of Trans

I got under my car today to do an oil change, and to take care of an o2 CEL that I have... while I was under there, I noticed a drip of fluid towards the back of the transmission. I looked for the source of the leak, and it seems to be coming from somewhere around where the drive shaft meets up with the trans. :thumbdown:

The brace that supports the rear of the trans was dirty on the once side presumably from small amounts of fluid that have settled there over time. I did change out my transmission fluid (10k miles ago), with Royal Purple Syncormax. Has anyone else had this problem, or noticed any small leaks? I know the simple answer is "take it to the dealer", but with Royal Purple in the there I'm sure they won't play nice. Haha. Any other suggestions or insights?

naga 08-30-2010 11:16 PM

IMO you should take it to the dealer because, the dealer does not know what type of fluid your using, since you ran a few miles on the trans with RP, the oil will change in colorand will look the same as the factory oil!!! Hope you did not do your trans oil change at the dealer it self!!
The reason i am saying this is because one of my friends had a problem with the rear diff and there was a oil leak and the dealer covered it under warrenty, he changed all the oils to RP on his camaro and the dealer had no idea what type of oil he was running the car on!!!
hope this helps..

Spiffyguitar 08-31-2010 01:14 AM

I do almost everything on my own, and swapped the trans and diff fluid Royal Purple pretty early on. The dealership hasn't seen my car since the day I drove it off the lot. :D In looking a the little drips under the back of the trans, you can see the purplish color, and it looks a lot different than stock.

For now, I picked up a bottle of Lucas trans additive to help with the rear seal. The leak isn't too bad, so hopefully that will do the trick. If not, I might take it to the dealer... changing out that seal has got to be a pain when working on a garage floor with jack stands.

naga 08-31-2010 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spiffyguitar (Post 2280352)
I do almost everything on my own, and swapped the trans and diff fluid Royal Purple pretty early on. The dealership hasn't seen my car since the day I drove it off the lot. :D In looking a the little drips under the back of the trans, you can see the purplish color, and it looks a lot different than stock.

For now, I picked up a bottle of Lucas trans additive to help with the rear seal. The leak isn't too bad, so hopefully that will do the trick. If not, I might take it to the dealer... changing out that seal has got to be a pain when working on a garage floor with jack stands.

I spoke to my dealer about the trans oil change and he said that when you change the trans oil you need to remove the trans oil pan and drain out all of the oil before you refill it with a different oil.. did you do that before adding in RP…

justa25thTA 08-31-2010 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spiffyguitar (Post 2280352)

Your really going to try to band aid your new $35k car when it is under warranty?

Spiffyguitar 08-31-2010 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by naga (Post 2280962)
I spoke to my dealer about the trans oil change and he said that when you change the trans oil you need to remove the trans oil pan and drain out all of the oil before you refill it with a different oil.. did you do that before adding in RP…

Hmm. Don't know about the "trans fluid pan"... I used another bottle of RP and did a fluid flush when I swapped it out. That should have taken care of that I would think. I'm wondering if RP isn't playing nice with the factory seals.

Spiffyguitar 08-31-2010 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justa25thTA (Post 2281053)
Your really going to try to band aid your new $35k car when it is under warranty?

Sadly I paid a little more than that when I bought my SS.. :laugh: :facepalm: I don't look at it as a band aid personally. Lucas makes some quality stuff, and the leak for the time being is minor. It will keep it from becoming a bigger problem.

I agree that in normal circumstances someone should take a car in that's under warranty that's leaking anything... but by swapping to RP, then having a leak...there's no way that will be covered. They will replace the rear seal, which involves a decent amount of labor, then fill it with the factory 'lifetime' trans fluid, and give me a nice bill since the swap caused the problem. I could always 'give it a shot' and take it in, but Lucas is worth a shot I think.

MillerTime 08-31-2010 11:10 PM

I think what he's getting at is that even if it dosn't pour out..at least it's documented that its starting to weep out and the dealer will have to replace it later on as they have already been made aware of the issue.

naga 08-31-2010 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spiffyguitar (Post 2283959)
Hmm. Don't know about the "trans fluid pan"... I used another bottle of RP and did a fluid flush when I swapped it out. That should have taken care of that I would think. I'm wondering if RP isn't playing nice with the factory seals.

Well the reason to remove the trans oil pan is to also to change the trans oil filter and the gasket sealer. Since you’re going with a new brand you need to change the trans oil filter which also comes with a gasket sealer!!! The flushing is done only if you’re using the same brand of oil which comes from the factory. Again this is what my dealer told me.

MillerTime 09-01-2010 12:03 AM

That would be correct. never mix oil brands especially RP with those others. New filter and dropping that pan to get all the fluid out is the correct way...longer yes..but correct none the less..

Tex 09-09-2010 11:02 AM

Question: if draining the transmission pan with just the drain plug & not dropping the pan would it be okay to just turn the car on so the rest of the trans oil in the torque converter will come out too?

Fast vette 09-09-2010 07:58 PM

You guys weren't following, Spyffyguitar is running a 6M.

But No Tex, you don't want to run your A6 to drain the converter, if you let it sit long enough half the converter is going to drain out anyways. You should always remove the pan and replace the filter though.

Tex 09-09-2010 09:10 PM

ok so then where & how do I refill it? I drained it by accident because I was doing an oil change but took off the wrong drain plug.

Wesman 09-09-2010 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by naga (Post 2280003)
IMO you should take it to the dealer because, the dealer does not know what type of fluid your using, since you ran a few miles on the trans with RP, the oil will change in colorand will look the same as the factory oil!!! Hope you did not do your trans oil change at the dealer it self!!
The reason i am saying this is because one of my friends had a problem with the rear diff and there was a oil leak and the dealer covered it under warrenty, he changed all the oils to RP on his camaro and the dealer had no idea what type of oil he was running the car on!!!
hope this helps..

Factory fill on the TR6060 is ATF, not Synchromesh. GM says only use Manual Transmission Fluid (Dex III) in the TR6060, and for good reason. Why would you void your warranty by using the incorrect fluid??

Not only is synchromesh chemically different than ATF, but it also smells different, looks different, and has a different viscocity.

Any half decent tech is going to immediately notice that you put the wrong fluid in the trans, and not only will you not get the deal replaced under warranty, but the rest of your warranty on your transmission will be void as well. Not good.