Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   IPhone Guage Alternative for Camaro SS (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54779)

mtcwby 12-02-2009 02:21 PM

IPhone Guage Alternative for Camaro SS

7 Attachment(s)
Now you can get a number of different guages for your Camaro, without having to figure out how to mount mechanical guages in your car. The cost of 2 mechanical guages can be upwards of $500 by the time you get the guages, sending units, mounting brackets, etc. Not to mention having to drill holes in your precious interior.

Here's an alternative, using your IPhone or IPod Touch.
The REV2 app costs $39 from ITunes. The Mounting bracket for your IPhone or IPod Touch costs $19.99 from Arkon Resources.
http://www.arkon.com/iPhone_Car_Mount.php
The wifi device is from PLX devices and costs $149.95
http://www.plxkiwi.com/kiwiwifi/hardware.html

The mounting bracket mounted on dash.
Attachment 77184

IPhone mounted in bracket.
Attachment 77179

KiWi PLX wireless device plugged into OBD2 port under dash, then just hide
the device out of sight.

Attachment 77180

Rev2 App on IPhone. As soon as you turn the key on in the car, it synchs
up to the phone. You will know it is synched when your VIN # shows up on the Rev2 home screen automatically. You can also use this app to track your laps at the track, it uses GPS and Accelerometer in phone to record G's and lap times. You can also check and reset trouble codes using the app.

Attachment 77178

You can have up to 5 different guage readings on the screen at the same time. This setup has RPM's, Intake air temps, Fuel Pressure, Timing Advance and Boost. Notice that the IPhone is also synched up to the stereo system so you can listen to tunes through Bluetooth at the same time that you are using the guages. Also, if a call comes in it will switch to the call screen during the phone call then will switch back to guages when the call is done.
Attachment 77181

This guage screen is showing Boost, mph(with 0-60 time), whp, torque,
and rpm's. It will start the 0-60 time clock anytime you start from a complete stop.
This will also data log by pushing the red dot at the bottom of the screen. It will record, in graph form, the five perameters that you have on the screen. Very useful when running the 1/4 mile when you don't really have time to watch the guages, cause you're too busy watching the tach. You can record the run then study it after you are done. Regular guages can't do that.

Attachment 77182

View from the driver's seat at night.
Attachment 77183

1CAMSS 12-02-2009 02:48 PM

Do u need a usb connection for the
gauges to show on your iphone?

mtcwby 12-02-2009 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1CAMSS (Post 1238801)
Do u need a usb connection for the
gauges to show on your iphone?

No, it connects wirelessly through the PLX device under the dash.
You download the app from ITunes.

The IPhone battery gets drained fast when monitoring all these guages, so you will need to
plug it into power to keep it charged.

2010 SSRS 12-02-2009 03:00 PM

that is cool

montej23 12-02-2009 04:38 PM

DAM thats sick, technology im telling you theres nothing a person cant do if they know how to use this thing called technology.

edub 12-02-2009 08:17 PM

I searched for REV2 on itunes and could not locate. Is it live yet?

mtcwby 12-03-2009 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edub (Post 1240338)
I searched for REV2 on itunes and could not locate. Is it live yet?

I just looked it up again, when you go to the ITunes app store, type in "devtoaster" in the search box. It should come up with Rev and Rev Lite. Click on Rev.

JohnInSoCal 12-10-2009 10:38 AM

how does this measure boost ? The physical boost gauges I have seen require you to run a line to vacuum for a turbo/supercharger, is this already measured and sent to OBD2 ?

Bmble_B 12-10-2009 11:53 AM

So this will work with ipod touch too?

SS Mike 12-10-2009 02:52 PM

Is the program itself worth $40? I only ask because I have the Rev Lite version now, which you can't really do much with, but would liek to get the full program and the wifi OBDII sending unit as well. Just wondering if it's worth the price? I know you can check and clear codes from it as well, do some tuning, and also measure hp, 0-60, etc. Sounds pretty sweet!

jimmi-no 12-10-2009 04:11 PM

love the wheels, mind if I ask how much?

SS Mike 12-10-2009 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmi-no (Post 1270307)
love the wheels, mind if I ask how much?

Funny you should ask, I'm selling them HERE if you're interested. Please post any comments in that thread as I do not want to hijack this one :thumbsup:

1CAMSS 12-10-2009 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtcwby (Post 1238829)
No, it connects wirelessly through the PLX device under the dash.
You download the app from ITunes.

The IPhone battery gets drained fast when monitoring all these guages, so you will need to
plug it into power to keep it charged.

NICE!:thumbup:

mtcwby 12-13-2009 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SS Mike (Post 1270056)
Is the program itself worth $40? I only ask because I have the Rev Lite version now, which you can't really do much with, but would liek to get the full program and the wifi OBDII sending unit as well. Just wondering if it's worth the price? I know you can check and clear codes from it as well, do some tuning, and also measure hp, 0-60, etc. Sounds pretty sweet!

Yes it's worth the $40, you have to get the KiWi PLX wifi device to make the guages and diagnostics work. You can't do tuning with this, but you can monitor a number of perameters.