Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   USA - Southwest (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Curt's 1969 Camaro Project (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101313)

cjingle 08-18-2010 09:25 PM

Curt's 1969 Camaro Project

2 Attachment(s)
COMPLETE!

Finished this project Oct 2011.

Although we are still doing minor tweaks here and there (most recently, the fuel tank). Come back every so often to see what the latest changes are.

It was a fun (but very expensive) project (this is the second time around). All I can say is that there is no way anybody can make money restoring cars. No way! Unless, somehow, you make them for some rich guy.

This is a complete Pro-Touring rebuild. ZZ385 Fast Burn Turn-key Engine, FAST Fuel Injection, 5sp Tremec Transmission, Moser 12 bolt Rear-end, Complete Hotchkis Suspension (lowers the car 2"), Baer Disk Brakes all around, Steeroids Power Steering, Classic Wheels/Tires, Vintage Air Conditioning, Hydraulic clutch, Custom Interior, bad ass sound system, etc.

I'd like to thank Car Crafters for an awesome job on the car. Also, Jay at Bearnut Upholstery, Bryan at Innovative Audio, Ivan at Southwest Speed, Action Alignment (exhaust), the folks at Hotchkis, and of course, Rick's Camaro and Camaro Central (for all of the expensive parts).

---------------------

Here are the some of parts that went in (more listed in later postings):

SUSPENSION
67-69 Camaro/Firebird TVS System Small Block
HPS 1000 Shock (Front) (sold each) 67-76 Camaro
Rear Hotchkis HPS 1000 Shock (sold each)
Camaro Shock Tower Brace, Rear, 1968-1969
Camaro Chassis Max Handle Bars, Hotchkis, 1967-1969
67-69 Camaro/Firebird Hotchkis Sub Frame Connectors -Coupe
67-69 Camaro F-Body / 68-74 X-Body Tubular Lower A-Arms
67-69 Camaro F-Body / 68-74 X-Body Tubular Upper A-Arms

BRAKES
Baer SERIOUS STREET System, Rear, 68-69 F-Body
Baer SERIOUS STREET System, Front, 64-72 A-Body 67-69 F-Body
11" Camaro Brake Booster & Master Cylinder Combo, Chrome, 1967-1969

POWER STEERING
Camaro Steeroids Rack & Pinion Conversion Kit, 1967-1969
Camaro Power Steering Pump, Chrome, 1967-1969
Camaro Power Steering Pump Bracket Set, Small Block, 1969
Camaro Power Steering Pump Pulley, All Engines, Double Groove, For Cars With Air Conditioning, 1969
Power Steering Belts1Camaro Power Steering Pump & Bracket Mounting Hardware, Small Block, 1969

ACCESSORIES
Camaro Alternator, 85 Amp, Chrome, Powermaster, 1969
Camaro Air Conditioning & Heater Kit, For Cars Without Factory Air, Gen IV, Vintage Air, 1969

TIRES
Camaro Wheel, Straight Pointed Spokes, 17" x 8", Vintage 40, 1967-1969
Tires, stems, mount and balance

INTERIOR
Autopower Street-Sport Roll Bar - Camaro, Firebird 67-69
LG1 racing reclining seats
Seat Brackets
2-Inch Retractable Harness Belts

TRANSMISSION
15-speed transmission 'early’ GM Conversion Package

REAR-END
Camaro 12-Bolt Differential, Multi-Leaf Spring Perch, 3.73 Ratio, 1967-1969

audrey_m 08-18-2010 10:35 PM

Wow that is awesome. 69 is my favorite year! My boyfriend restores muscle cars as a hobby. We currently have a 73 camaro rs split bumper that is getting restored. We also have a 69 chevelle ss in original condition.

2010 SSRS 08-18-2010 10:39 PM

awesome 69

2010 BADSS 08-18-2010 10:41 PM

Curt, Yes I am SOOOOO on board with this project.:thumbup: Beleive me I know how fun doing it will be. Right now I have been in the information gathering process for the past year or so, and I am trying to figure out the best way to get me to where I want to be with my project, and having the opportunity to see your project 1st hand is really the best thing I could ever have hoped for! :popcorn::popcorn: Thanks for letting me get a birds eye view. This car is going to be AMAZING!!!!

Ocikat 08-18-2010 10:47 PM

Nice Nice Nice !!!

Ivan @ Southwest Speed 08-18-2010 11:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
2 things....

1.) Subscribed of course.....and

2.)this is what I look like looking at this thread right now....

Ivan @ Southwest Speed 08-18-2010 11:58 PM

Can't wait to see the progress!! Most awesome build at CC yet!!!

-Ivan

Racer-X 08-19-2010 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ivan @ Southwest Speed (Post 2235527)
2 things....

1.) Subscribed of course.....and

2.)this is what I look like looking at this thread right now....

like you got a big turd stuck??? LOL j/k man

curt looking forward to seeing this build

Ivan @ Southwest Speed 08-19-2010 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Racer-X (Post 2237277)
like you got a big turd stuck??? LOL j/k man

curt looking forward to seeing this build

Heck no.....

You haven't seen this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pXfHLUlZf4

88 million people can't be wrong!

LOL
Ivan

cjingle 08-22-2010 06:36 PM

69 Camaro Tear Down Continues

7 Attachment(s)
The tear down continues. I'm extremely nervous and excited at the same time. :help:

I hate seeing my original baby being torn apart. But, it will soon be reborn. Alleluia!

Here are some more pictures.

Pic1: Before engine removal
Pic2: Wheels removed
Pic3: Parts slowly being removed (see the Muncie?). I have two of them and, yes, they are for sale. Let me know.
Pic4: Engine removed
Pic5: More parts removed.
Pic6: Teardown continues.
Pic7: Engine by itself.

cjingle 08-22-2010 07:03 PM

Updated Plan

Now that the teardown is commencing, we are revisiting the plan.

We are going to rejuvenate the underneath of the car. Everything is going to be removed. There will be minor repairs to the floor (as the floor was replaced back in 1989). We will coat the underneath with a thin layer of Rhino lining and paint it the color of the car.

Several of the new parts will be painted red, including the sway bars and coil springs. The drive shaft and fuel tank will be painted silver. The rest will be black. I’ve decided to replace the brake and fuel lines as well as the parking brake cables.

The exhaust will be a 3 inch system with new ceramic coated headers. We haven’t decided where to exit the exhaust yet.

The sub-frame is currently removed and will get cleaned up and painted black. We were thinking of powder-coating, but since we may have to perform some modifications, we decided to paint it instead.

The engine compartment will be stripped. The battery will be relocated to the trunk. The firewall will be painted the color of the car. The heater will be replaced with the VintageAir system. As such, all of the heater hoses, etc. will be replaced with braided hoses.

The RS Headlight actuators will be replaced with the Detroit Speed electric system. This will allow us to remove all of the vacuum system and misc hoses.

I still have to get the specs on the engine. But, it came out of a Corvette pro-street car and only has about 100 miles on it. The guy was getting past by Mazda RX-7s at the SMS track and decided to upgrade his Corvette with a higher performance engine. I’ll post the specs when I get them. All I know is that it puts out about 385 HP and has vortec heads.

Since I’m spending more money (it’s only money), I’ve decided to repaint the car as well. It’ll be the same color, but completely repainted with minor body work here and there. Plus, I’m going to make it an RS/SS with a cowl hood to make room for the high rise intake manifold. I’m still thinking about striping.

Since we are going to repaint the car, the sunroof is going bye-bye. I have another original roof that we’ll use to replace my roof.

Next, some interior modifications. I need to replace the center console as it is trashed. I plan on getting a reproduction from Rick’s Camaro and get the AutoMeter console setup for the 1969 Camaro. The gauges are angled toward the driver for better visibility. I also plan on getting the tachometer to replace the fuel gauge in the instrumentation panel as the AutoMeter setup has the fuel gauge on the console.

Here’s a list of new parts to be ordered:

Timing Cover
Camaro Brake Line Set, Front, Steel, 4-Piece, Disc Conversion, For Cars With Power Brakes, 1967-1969
Camaro Brake Line Set, Front To Rear, Steel, 2-Piece, For Cars With Power Drum Or Disc Brakes, 1969
Camaro Brake Line Set, Rear Axle, Steel, Multi-Leaf Spring, 2-Piece, Disc Conversion, 1969
Camaro Brake Line Retaining Clamp Set, 1969
Camaro Fuel Line, Gas Tank To Fuel Pump, Steel, 3/8", All V8, 1969
Camaro Fuel Line, Fuel Pump To Carburetor, Steel, 327 & 350ci 4-Barrel Carburetor, 3/8", 1967-1969
Camaro Fuel Line Retaining Clamp, Single, 3/8", 1969
Camaro Parking Brake Cable System Kit, Stainless Steel, Complete, 1967-1969
Camaro Headliner, Original Factory Grain, With Sail Panels & Sunvisor Material, 1968-1969
Camaro Headlight Door Conversion Kit, Vacuum To Electric, Rally Sport (RS), 1969
Camaro Headlight Door Actuator Shields, Rally Sport (RS), 1969
Camaro Taillight Lens, Right, Rally Sport (RS), 1969
Camaro Taillight Lens, Left, Rally Sport (RS), 1969
Camaro Taillight Panel Emblem, SS, 1969
Camaro Grille Emblem, SS, For Cars With Rally Sport (RS) Grille, 1969
Camaro Parking Light Lens, For Cars With Standard Trim (Non-Rally Sport) Or Rally Sport (RS), 1969
Camaro Tachometer, 5500 RPM Redline, 1969
Camaro Console Gauge Pod Kit, Ultra-Lite Series, Fuel Level, Oil Pressure, Voltmeter & Water Temperature, AutoMeter, 1968-1969
Camaro Console Gauge Pod Wiring Harness Kit, AutoMeter, 1968-1969
Camaro Console Door Lid, Black, 1968-1969
Camaro Console Housing, 1968-1969
Camaro Console Rear Ashtray Lid, Black, 1968-1969
Camaro Shift Plate Emblem, Console, 5-Speed, Black Anodized, 1968-1969
Camaro Console Shifter Plate Rosewood Woodgrain Insert, Manual Transmission, 1969
Taylor Cable 48103 - Taylor Battery Relocation Kits
66003 - Hedman Hi-Tech Coated Headers
7728 - Spectre Magna-Pak Radiator Hose Kits

Ivan @ Southwest Speed 08-22-2010 07:06 PM

If it makes you feel better, I got shivers down my spine with the "Muncie sitting on the rack right in front of the big ole TREMEC box" picture.

I like the new plan...sounds "fun."....(Read:awesome!)

Lemme know if you need anything...

Looking good man!
Ivan

2010 BADSS 08-23-2010 08:55 AM

No kidding! I just got shivers all over reading Curt's last post.
:drool::bow::popcorn:

Ivan @ Southwest Speed 08-24-2010 12:37 AM

Quote:

I plan on getting a reproduction from Rick’s Camaro and get the AutoMeter console setup for the 1969 Camaro. The gauges are angled toward the driver for better visibility. I also plan on getting the tachometer to replace the fuel gauge in the instrumentation panel as the AutoMeter setup has the fuel gauge on the console.
You're talking about the #10002 right?? I literally just ordered that piece and a sweet set of the 2 1/16" Cobalt C2 Gauges for a guy down in San Antonio.

Lemme know what you're thinking on the gauges if you haven't got em yet and I'll help you out.

You've done more for me that what I could ever do for ya!

Ivan :thumbsup: