Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   what it I did this.. (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=327177)

dare8601 11-08-2013 08:49 AM

what it I did this..

I have a 13 1le ls3 with 3xxx miles...have cai and American Thunder exhaust..lets say if I wanted to just add a cam and a tune at this time no headers..what will I expect if I don't add Headers?...and if I add Headers later would another tune be needed...or should I just go for the whole ball of wax and add cam, headers and a tune..this is not a daily driver....dads toy..

Kelly@PCMofNC 11-08-2013 09:47 AM

Depends on how big the cam is. You can add a stealthy cam without changing the manifolds, and probably pick up 20-30rwhp or so. If you're looking to make a lot of hp and maximize the build, then bite the bullet and do headers. If you have headers and run a larger cam you're looking at picking up 60-70rwhp, and with doing a larger cam you can get that cam lope that everyone loves. :)

If you do a cam now and add headers later, yes you will need to retune.

Here's a '545' Cam & PRC Head install we just wrapped up...

vroomapunk 11-08-2013 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelly@PCMofNC (Post 7168061)
Depends on how big the cam is. You can add a stealthy cam without changing the manifolds, and probably pick up 20-30rwhp or so. If you're looking to make a lot of hp and maximize the build, then bite the bullet and do headers. If you have headers and run a larger cam you're looking at picking up 60-70rwhp, and with doing a larger cam you can get that cam lope that everyone loves. :)

If you do a cam now and add headers later, yes you will need to retune.

Here's a '545' Cam & PRC Head install we just wrapped up...

I know whos car that is :drool:

JDP Sales 11-08-2013 10:57 AM

A cam and headers are meant for each other. You will be leaving a lot on the table doing a cam without headers. I'd go for the headers first, but either way you will have to re-tune if you do them separately. If you can swing it, do both and save on re-tune charges.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007

ST1LE 11-08-2013 11:45 AM

Just out of curiosity, why would you like to do a cam before or without headers? Is it a issue of noise level?

chevy 3 11-08-2013 11:53 AM

I'm doing long tubes over the winter first then cam later. Wish I could afford the$$$ at once and be done but can't do it that way. So if you can't do them together just do headers first then cam and tune. This is just in my case. I can rock the headers for the summer without a tune.
I know I'll be leaving some power on the table but I'm only tuning once (hopefully ).

litle88 11-08-2013 12:48 PM

It's would be ALL wrong. Do headers then a cam or do them both at the same time.