Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension / Brakes / Chassis (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Dust Free Brake Pads: Long Term? (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99653)

Christiancoach 08-09-2010 05:02 PM

Dust Free Brake Pads: Long Term?
 
I searched and read several threads about low dust brake pads here. Most of the information was from people who had only been using the Hawk Ceramic or equivalent for a short time. I am wondering about your long term experience with them.
I am looking for the lowest amount of brake dust possible without a significant drop in stopping power. My car uses the same pads as the Camaro.
Thanks!
Tony

Chris_B 08-10-2010 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christiancoach (Post 2200119)
I searched and read several threads about low dust brake pads here. Most of the information was from people who had only been using the Hawk Ceramic or equivalent for a short time. I am wondering about your long term experience with them.
I am looking for the lowest amount of brake dust possible without a significant drop in stopping power. My car uses the same pads as the Camaro.
Thanks!
Tony

"Low dust" pads are essentially "lighter-colored dust" pads. There is currently no way to stop a vehicle without wear, so dust happens. Some of it is from the pads and some of it is from the iron rotors.

Many "ceramic" pads (a huge, largely non-descript category that can mean a lot of things, depending on who is labeling the box) give off a much lighter colored dust, ash gray in some cases. The trouble is that the materials needed to make that lighter dust are not as good in creating friction. They typically will not stop as well.

We have found the Hawk Performance Ceramic has provided the best dust/performance combination of the ones we've tested so far. I would estimate they give up about 15% in initial bite, which is a bit less than some ceramic pads we've tried. The only other downside is that some drivers report slightly higher rotor wear, especially at low temps and low rubbing speeds.

Chris

adub 08-10-2010 02:20 PM

The pads haven't been out for a long time, so you won't find many "long term" 2010 Camaro customers. Had mine for the past 2000 miles and I love them. 0 complaints

obe1 08-10-2010 02:48 PM

I have about 8,000 miles on the Hawk Ceramic pads and have no dust. I can't fine light colored dust on my rims! I don't believe there's been any loss of stopping power over the stock pads.

Christiancoach 08-14-2010 09:52 PM

Anyone know where I can get a good price on Hawk Ceramic (low dust).
Thank you!

ddavis 08-15-2010 12:34 AM

I ran hawk ceramics on my modded subaru a couple of years back. I found the stopping power to be alot less then the hawk hps pads. Just my opinion, but for a heavy car with this much power, I would put as much bite down as i can.

GEEo 08-15-2010 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddavis (Post 2221140)
For a heavy car with this much power, I would put as much bite down as i can.

Agree!

JusticePete 08-15-2010 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddavis (Post 2221140)
I ran hawk ceramics on my modded subaru a couple of years back. I found the stopping power to be alot less then the hawk hps pads. Just my opinion, but for a heavy car with this much power, I would put as much bite down as i can.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GEEo (Post 2221540)
Agree!

I agree, but the best pads make the most dust and the most noise. There seem to be quite a few Camaro owners that want minimal dust and have no tolerance for brake noise. My Cobalt Friction XR compound pads make dust going down the driveway, but they have almost no fade on track and they have bite! I get the feeling that those of us who want 'as much bite down as I can' are in the minority.

It will be interesting to see if the Hawk Ceramic (low dust) pads are the solution. I'll be following this thread for that reason. I hope it stays active with the users posting updates.

Chris_B 08-15-2010 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christiancoach (Post 2220651)
Anyone know where I can get a good price on Hawk Ceramic (low dust).
Thank you!

STILLEN

PM Eric for a quote.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:19 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.