Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Halltech Yellow Jacket + ADM Race Scoop = Done (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126245)

caverman 01-27-2011 09:21 AM

Halltech Yellow Jacket + ADM Race Scoop = Done

9 Attachment(s)
I finally came up with an idea for a washer bottle, thanks to Number_9, so I was able to add an ADM Race scoop with my Halltech.

I went looking for a water bottle and ended up finding one at Walmart in their bicyle section. It is designed to go on a bike so it came with a holder. It was just under $9….but it did say Schwinn on it.

I then went to Lowes and bought a hose fitting and a nut. Well…they don’t have a nut for a hose fitting so I ended up buying a cap and then cut off the end of it with a dremel tool. I spent about $5 on those parts. I then drilled a whole in the bottle (starting off with a small whole and then increasing in size). I used a washer and a rubber seal. I tried a few combinations but ultimately I ended up with Fitting, Washer, Seal on the bottom and then a Seal, Washer, Nut on the inside.

I went to an Auto Parts store and picked up some vacuum/washer bottle hose for about $4. My total of parts came to about $20.

I mounted it the bottle bracket to the positive cable bracket inside the fender well. I had an extra 10mm bolt/lock washer/nut combo that I used. It was a little tricky to get a drill in there. Not a lot of room to work with but I eventually got it. I also used a couple zip ties to help hold it into place a little more.

Over this weekend I plan to take the cap off of the OEM washer bottle and JB Weld it to the lid of the new washer bottle. That should give it more of a factory look. The cap is almost an exact fit. I’ll have to do a little sanding to make the top flat but that shouldn’t be any big deal.

I might go back and paint the bottle black. I'm going to see what it looks like with then OEM lid first.

caverman 01-27-2011 09:21 AM

4 Attachment(s)
I took a trip over to ADM and picked up the Race Scoop yesterday. It’s a nice piece. If you buy one you should also ask Andy about the hose clamp to hold the water pump on with. He said they sold them at Home Depot but when I was at Lowes buying my other parts I couldn’t find anything like it and the helpers there were……no help.
You just follow the instructions he gives you which were a combination of these two threads.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90068
http://www.moderncamaro.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=27037

The only thing that was even remotely tricky was getting a dremel tool in there to cut it nice and neat….which it doesn’t have to be perfect. There is probably a better bit for the job but all I had was the round cut-off blades.

Definitely take out the fender well. It’s easy and gives you a lot more room to work with.
I just got it on last night so I haven’t been able to get a lot of seat time with it just yet but as you can see in the pictures there is no way this can’t significantly help. The washer bottle really blocks a lot of the air coming into the intake area.

I have basically $100 in everything with the mod….that includes the washer bottle. This is definitely a must do mod for those that have a CAI that use the front fender well area to pick up air from.

The Halltech was one of the better performing CAIs on Jannety's test. I would love to have seen it go up against the others with the ADM Scoop installed. Unfortunately I wasn't able to do a before/after on a dyno but again....I can't see how this can't be a huge improvement.

The first pic shows the CAI with the water bottle in the way. The next ones show what it looks like now.

caverman 01-27-2011 09:44 AM

3 Attachment(s)
You can see this in the other threads but thought I would post it here as well. This is what you cut out to get the fresh air and also a pic from the front of the scoop that is right behind the grill.

IndeedSS1 01-27-2011 09:47 AM

Awesome! Very nice work.:thumbup:

Mark Myles 01-27-2011 09:49 AM

Nice write up and pics! :clap:

M :thumbsup:

TBone 01-27-2011 11:28 AM

Nice write up caverman. Car is really coming along.:bow:

Question for ya, with the addition of both the ADM scoop and the TB are you going to have to retune? I would think that with all the additional air it might affect your A/F ratio. But I am no expert so what are your thoughts?

I have been following this closely 'cause I am thinking, money permitting, that these could be my next upgrades.

T.

caverman 01-27-2011 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBone (Post 2774300)
Nice write up caverman. Car is really coming along.:bow:

Question for ya, with the addition of both the ADM scoop and the TB are you going to have to retune? I would think that with all the additional air it might affect your A/F ratio. But I am no expert so what are your thoughts?

I have been following this closely 'cause I am thinking, money permitting, that these could be my next upgrades.

T.

Thnaks....

I think it wouldn't hurt but not sure it's 100% needed either. Probably a little tweaking might sweeze an extra HP or so out of it.

I'm no expert either but from my understanding the computer can make slight A/F adjustments. My bet is that it can make enough of an adjustment to take care of it.

I asked Andy @ ADM if a re-tune would be needed with the scoop and he said it would not be needed.

Also talking with SC2150 about a re-tune with the ported TB he said it wouldn't be needed either. It wouldn't hurt to have it but not needed.

So...my guess that since I already had a tune for my headers the computer should pick up the little bit of slack that the extra air giving.

I might run it by Andy though and see what he says. I'll post up any info I get.

thesnoopster 01-27-2011 03:51 PM

Hey that looks nice! Good Job! ...Simple yet neat! :thumbsup:

navyblueSS 01-27-2011 03:55 PM

Nice write up, I plan on ordering the ADM scoop for mine soon.

GEEo 01-27-2011 04:05 PM

Nice job man! :thumbsup:

GMRULZ 01-27-2011 08:43 PM

Looks great buddy! If you have a scan tool, check out your IAT`s while driving around, mine stay between ambient and 1 to 2 degrees above ambient w/ my ADM race intake and scoop.:thumbup:

caverman 01-27-2011 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMRULZ (Post 2776150)
Looks great buddy! If you have a scan tool, check out your IAT`s while driving around, mine stay between ambient and 1 to 2 degrees above ambient w/ my ADM race intake and scoop.:thumbup:

No.....no scan tools. Sent you a PM.

caverman 01-27-2011 09:56 PM

I just went back and looked at Janetty's spreadsheet. If you look at the CAI brand without the ADM Scoop the Yellow Jacket was right with it in some places and better in others. Then look at the difference it made by adding the ADM Scoop to the CAI. I'm guessing the Yellow Jacket with an ADM Scoop should perform ever bit as well as the CAI w/ADM Scoop. :iono:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...ZNVI5aVE&hl=en

IndeedSS1 01-28-2011 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caverman (Post 2776442)
I just went back and looked at Janetty's spreadsheet. If you look at the CAI brand without the ADM Scoop the Yellow Jacket was right with it in some places and better in others. Then look at the difference it made by adding the ADM Scoop to the CAI. I'm guessing the Yellow Jacket with an ADM Scoop should perform ever bit as well as the CAI w/ADM Scoop. :iono:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...ZNVI5aVE&hl=en

I would have to agree with you. Having a huge box around the filter is nice, but having better access to unrestricted outside of the engine bay air, even better. There are likely gains to be had just from removing the bottle. For just daily driving and playing around, I wonder how much benefit there is adding the scoop if the bottle is already out? Or if there is a difference, if it's dectectable without instruments gauging?

Either way, you have it all optimized.:thumbup:

Edit: Just looked at the graphs. It would be nice if Ted would stack the CAI with, and CAI without, so it easier to see the differences. Oh and with thinner lines to show better separation. Interesting to see the difference in timing at comparable rpm, CAI, CAI/scoop, and Halltech.