Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off-topic Discussions (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   garage? (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4036)

Mrbobcat 05-06-2008 10:49 PM

garage?

I was starting to get all psyched about getting a new car in a year or so (hopefully a Camaro V8). Anyway, I just realized I still don't have a garage and maybe thats why my wheels are rusting after only 3 years and I've gone thru 3 sets of lug nuts. The body of my 4 year old Nissan is still in pretty good condition, but I have replaced the exhaust twice also. Do you guys think a garage is absolutely necessary? Or will a new car last a long time without rusting if you keep it clean and wax it once in awhile. btw, I only waxed my nissan once and never waxed the wheels or cleaned them that much for that matter. What about a carport? Or should I start looking for a house with a garage? My house needs alot of work to sell though and I just started a new job...

MerF 05-06-2008 11:06 PM

You are describing salt damage from the roads in the winter, which a garage has nothing to do with. You can fix all of that by not criving the car when it snows (IE- have a snow-car-beater) or make a habit of spraying the undercarriage of the car down when the temperature is above freezing to delute some of that salt-sludge.

Mrbobcat 05-06-2008 11:12 PM

Yeah I understand what you're saying. I try to wash the car at least once a week, but when its below freezing for weeks at a time in the winter and sitting out with snow caked around the wheels, I see why it starts to rust. I just wonder if a carport or even a car cover would help in the winter? I would probably be too lazy to put a cover on though and would worry it would scratch if the car was'nt real clean. But being persistent in keeping a car waxed would probably go a long way too...

MerF 05-07-2008 01:34 PM

Wax helps the paint, but not the underbody and wheels. A garage helps if you are never taking it out in the snow, but a car that's driving on winter roads is going to pay the price for it in the way of rust and corrosion. It's just the way it is. It sucks, I know!

GothamCamaro 05-07-2008 04:18 PM

I'm looking for a new place as well and top priority is a garage, maybe a 2 car garage. I decided that the Camaro will not drive in the snow, unless an emergency happens with my now declared "snow-beater" SUV. :)

No matter how much you wax, that salt is brutal. This will be the first time I will have two cars and seasonal, this will be interesting but I want to preserve my Camaro as long as possible.

z28camaro2471 05-07-2008 07:46 PM

You can prevent rust by coating unpainted parts with oil when they are clean and dry. Do it every fall and it will NOT rust. A little messy yes but may save aggravation in the long run. Once it starts however, forget it, the rust won't stop until it is removed.