Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forced Induction - V8 (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   PLEASE HELP! Magnacharger newbie (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=304371)

11syn3rgy 06-27-2013 10:43 AM

PLEASE HELP! Magnacharger newbie

Hey guys,

I just purchased a Magnuson TVS2300 yesterday and need know if I need a ZR1 map sensor and ZR1 plugs? My tuner is telling me that I HAVE TO HAVE these items? What the heck is a MAP sensor anyways? Any idea how expensive these parts will be? The ZR1 part kinda makes me think they are going to be expensive.

Please advise.

Thanks!

bct10985 06-27-2013 10:53 AM

Map= manifold absolute pressure sensor. Guess the zr1 map helps with tuning. There was a debate about wether it is NEEDED but with it u can read boost througb your odb2 port. The zr1 plugs are just 1 step colder then stock which again not absolutely sure they r NEEDED. I think the sensor is about $40 and plugs $60-80.

Unreal 06-27-2013 10:54 AM

Not needed but strongly recommended and worth the money. ~$150 for those items.

AngelSpeedFreak 06-27-2013 10:58 AM

Needed = NO

If your tuner tells you to get them then I would do so however. These are more to help him than you though.

11syn3rgy 06-27-2013 11:21 AM

Ok, thanks guys. I guess I was thinking they were going to be more expensive than that. I will order them ASAP

11syn3rgy 06-27-2013 11:24 AM

Another quick question...My Magnacharger kit comes with a SLP "Blackwing" tube that connects to the factory air box. I already have a K&N "Typhoon" CAI that I was thinking of just trying to retrofit, but my tuner tells me that I should buy a completely new CAI? I will ultimately do this, but I need to stop the bleeding on the list of parts I now need to tune my car. He says that the stock air box (with a blower) will cost me 42 RWHP!!! That seems crazy to me but I need some advice.

11syn3rgy 06-27-2013 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bct10985 (Post 6722902)
Map= manifold absolute pressure sensor. Guess the zr1 map helps with tuning. There was a debate about wether it is NEEDED but with it u can read boost througb your odb2 port. The zr1 plugs are just 1 step colder then stock which again not absolutely sure they r NEEDED. I think the sensor is about $40 and plugs $60-80.

Thanks man!

epstein 06-27-2013 11:54 AM

If your gonna tune it and arent looking for additional costs or tunes Get everything needed once. If he tunes it with the stock air box and you switch to a CAI ... The tune will be completely different incurring more costs. Is he Dyno tuning it or remote tuning or email tuning?

11syn3rgy 06-27-2013 12:34 PM

Yeah, I know your right, but I'm trying (needing) to keep the costs down. He is doing an e-mail update tune to my SCT tuner. I realize that I will need an additional tune later with a CAI, but that's fine becuase I will likely purchase a different pulley anyways?

Mchlgrrsn 06-27-2013 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 11syn3rgy (Post 6723447)
Yeah, I know your right, but I'm trying (needing) to keep the costs down. He is doing an e-mail update tune to my SCT tuner. I realize that I will need an additional tune later with a CAI, but that's fine becuase I will likely purchase a different pulley anyways?

you have a good tuner, follow his advice. The last thing you want to hear is "I told you about that " or even better " who told you to do that? ". Lol. Unfortunately when you go down this road your car doesn't care what you want to spend. Try to do everything at one time so you don't have to keep updating your tune.

11syn3rgy 06-27-2013 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mchlgrrsn (Post 6724461)
you have a good tuner, follow his advice. The last thing you want to hear is "I told you about that " or even better " who told you to do that? ". Lol. Unfortunately when you go down this road your car doesn't care what you want to spend. Try to do everything at one time so you don't have to keep updating your tune.

Good advice. Thanks man!