Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/index.php)
-   Camaro 1LE Forum (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=149)
-   -   Cleaning Hood (https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=291469)

Ajdin@A2BMotorsport 04-25-2013 12:23 PM

Cleaning Hood

So I love the matte black vinyl wrapped hood, but its so hard to keep in good condition only had the car for 2 weeks now and im contemplating removing the wrap and painting the hood satin or matte black. Before I do this has anyone had any good luck cleaning the vinyl? ive tried AutoGlym Vynil Care after a wash and it just doesn't look right, Spray wax worked great on the spoiler but the hood looked like crap. Any tips would be great if not, paint time it is.

Dynabyte 04-25-2013 01:17 PM

Adams Super VRT every other wash and Adams In and Out Spray as required in between has been working well for me.

right to travel 04-25-2013 01:37 PM

i get alot of water spots from rain detail spray and a microfiber towel works good for me. its not showroom perfect and it never will be again but it looks decent enough. i think the biggest problem with the wrap it that its such a huge contrast to the rest of the car that you see any imperfection as a huge thing.

Ajdin@A2BMotorsport 04-25-2013 01:51 PM

Think im just going to paint it matte black in a little bit, I will try out the Adams stuff first though, also spoke with the Chemical Guys and they also will be sending me some stuff to test out. Im pretty picky about what I use on my cars and hate it when the car is dirty, this car gets washed more than some people take showers.

Cooley 04-25-2013 02:30 PM

I just use the same soap and water I wash the car with. I make sure to dry the hood before the water has a chance to spot. Haven't had any major problems.

Nick S 04-25-2013 02:42 PM

I just received my dr. Beasley's matte paint care kit this week. I don't have my new car yet though so I don't have any experience with it yet. If you go to their website though they have a lot of nice instructional videos. Looks like nice stuff.

racerx1214 04-25-2013 04:23 PM

Adams SVRT applied in long straight lines, wait 10 min, then buff with clean quality MF to knock down shine and even product out. Then I just take a MF towel every time I drive it and run it across it with no pressure applied to get the dust off. Works great. Make sure when using waterless wash or detail spray on the car you do it with the hood up, as to keep the hood looking uniform. Sucks it's this much work, but it's worth it.

cornerspeed92 04-25-2013 04:36 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I have never used anything except a damp towel, then wipe dry immediately.

charlie46 04-25-2013 04:45 PM

My car has 330 miles on it , washed three times except the vinal hood wrap just wet it and wipped it dry. Its starting to look shitty but i blame it on the cheap vinal material they used for this car ! Have to remind myself its a chevy!

gajagfan 04-25-2013 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlie46 (Post 6469321)
My car has 330 miles on it , washed three times except the vinal hood wrap just wet it and wipped it dry. Its starting to look shitty but i blame it on the cheap vinal material they used for this car ! Have to remind myself its a chevy!

I can't imagine buying the car if I had that attitude about Chevrolet or GM. Just curious, why did you buy the car?

Phdpsy 04-25-2013 05:47 PM

Agree with Adams SVRT. Easy on, buff off lightly with the MF towel. Not too shiny and looks great. Totally agree with the advice to put up the hood if you are spraying anything on the car or fender to avoid spotting. Adam's has a good video on their site about detailing vinyl stripes....hood is just larger.
http://www.adamsforums.com/forums/ge...ions/12124.htm

A far as quality, GM used 3m products for the wrap....no exactly cheap. The matte/satin look is the bigger challenge in the long haul. To me it is definitely worth any extra effort. Kind of like people complaining the black 10 spoke wheels at too hard to clean. Harder than the simple SS 5 spoke...sure, but would you want the other just so you save a few minutes? Anyway, just my thoughts.

Pima 04-25-2013 06:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have over 1000 miles on my car and use adams vrt. I put a coat on and let it stay on for about a day to soak in then use detail spray to clean the hood

Galaxy s3

Jc's1LE 04-25-2013 06:57 PM

I have 600 miles and i been using zymol spray glaze

racerx1214 04-25-2013 08:55 PM

Looks terrible without VRT IMO. Matches the spoiler better too.